Atomic Ampli-fire box

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by partytrain, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Silver Supporting Member

This is the tough part. The mids are very clearly there in the Helix, as well as the highs and lows of course, but there's something about the difference in tonal nature between the two devices' mids that are the difference, not the quantity. The Helix has plenty of punch and body, but it also sounds like there's a good deal of harmonic content that is missing in those same ranges. If I had to pick a single phrase to describe the difference in tone between the Amplifierbox and the Helix, I'd say that the Helix retains less of the sound of the physical strings. Almost as if the acoustic properties of the instrument, however minor they might be, are filtered out far more in the Helix than in any other modelers I've tried, with the exception of Positive Grid's offerings. Amplifire, as well as S-Gear and Mercurial's Spark, do not exhibit this same flaw. It might seem like a strange description to give, but that the best way that I've found of putting it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Silver Supporting Member

Please let me know if you do, because I have an AA3 which I love, but I also have a real Archon and it is THE BOMB!!! Both channels!!!!!!

3. supremelutimatefist

supremelutimatefist Member

Apologies if this has been explained upthread but as a prospective purchaser I'm finding it hard to get my head round the structure of this unit. For a gig I need 3 sounds: 1) crunchy clean 2) drive 3) singing lead. Can I set up the box so I get all these sounds footswitchable live? Cos if so it sounds like it could be a great mini alternative to my Helix LT. Thanks for any help!

4. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Yeah, I love the Archon model on the Helix, but I have no idea if it's like the real thing. Never played one.

5. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

In channel switching mode, you can footswitch between two different channels, A and B. Each channel can have its own amp, cab, delay, reverb, compression, EQ and drive block settings. Additionally, you can assign the right footswitch to toggle one or more block on/off. The right footswitch is global, so if you assign it to turn drive block on and reverb block off, that is all it will do in both channels (i.e., you can't have right footswitch turn on EQ and compression in channel A and turn on drive in channel B).

So, to answer your question, assuming you can get either from crunchy clean to drive, or from drive to singing lead simply by turning on an overdrive rather than changing amp type or amp settings, then yes, you can footswitch amongst those three sounds. If you need three different amp (or EQ, or compressor, etc.) settings, then no.

LordByron likes this.
  6. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Silver Supporting Member

If you ever get the chance, play one! I've seen at least 5 guys here and a couple other forums, who said they liked the Archon model on the Helix so much that they went and bought the real amp. Try one out if you ever get the chance. Great amp!!!

LordByron and Bentayuk like this.
  7. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Although I have no interest in going back to tube amps, I'll admit I did have a look at a few Archon reviews this morning.

Two killers channels, footswitchable fx loop, small box style and only 33lbs. Very nice!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    DreamTheaterRules and LordByron like this.
  8. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

Do the level knob and the boost button work when the unit is in bypass mode?

I was wondering if this could be used just for it's effects into the front of an amp?

Also, does the cab sim work when the unit is bypassed?

9. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

In bypass MODE, the level knob and boost button work. When BYPASSED, they do not. When bypassed the entire unit is bypassed, just like most effects pedals you are familiar with.

However, in each preset, you can have any block you want active or inactive, including the amp block, so you can have a preset that is just effects with no amp sim; you can have a preset that is just an IR block, etc., etc.

ToneGrail likes this.
  10. supremelutimatefist

supremelutimatefist Member

That's very clear and helpful, thanks!

11. JonCor2577

JonCor2577 Member

I ordered an AFB a few days ago from their reverb store and it showed up today! Now the countdown to Christmas really starts....haha.

I'm replacing a Joyo acTone with this and can't wait to get started.

Ryno, LordByron and ericb like this.
  12. Trainwreck

Trainwreck Supporting Member

Just remain calm , You do not need this You do not need this!! Ok I need this!!

JonCor2577 likes this.
  13. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

Are there any online dealers carrying this or is the only way to get one is buying directly from Atomic?

14. Trainwreck

Trainwreck Supporting Member

I saw a few on reverb.com

15. JonCor2577

JonCor2577 Member

They have a "storefront" on reverb. So even though I bought it on reverb they still shipped it from their home base. (Connecticut I think??)

It said they had ~40 available.

LordByron likes this.
  16. Brenton

Brenton Member

Got mine in yesterday and im loving it! I put it at the end of my pedalboard into my interface at home and it sound great. I did try to put it between my delays and drives, but it sounded terrible.
    So im not sure im doing it right. What I was trying to accomplish ~ (interface to pc or DI to PA)>reverb>delay>FIREBOX>drives>comp>guitar. That way I could use the boost/overdrive before my reverb and delay pedals. When I tried it my delays were really quiet and my reverb sound terrible ( I think it was overloading it). Do I need to switch the cab off for the 1/4 and run a XLR?

17. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Turn down the level on the firebox until you're no longer overloading the delay and/or reverb pedals. If you're overloading one or both of those units, yeah -- it sounds terrible.

18. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

Quick question about the Amplifire-box. *(I just bought one from Reverb and I'm hoping it'll work for my needs.)

My goal is to use a single pedalboard that I can carry on my motorcycle for rehearsals with the Amplifier box last in chain after a few pedals. I want to run it like a clean amp with maybe a clean blackface tone with a Cali 76 compressor and few dirt boxes before it. All would be powered by my Cioks DC5 and the power would come from a Duncan 170 into a 1x12 cab. I would use Amplifire-box for other things also, but was hoping it would work for a grab and go practice rig.

Does that seem like a reasonable way to run the Amplifire-box?...set as a nice clean tone with OD pedals into it? Thanks

haslar likes this.
  19. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

Yes, everyone needs this! Why not, it's $299, includes amps, IRs, and FX, is regular pedal size, sounds good. I resisted for a little while too thinking I didn't need it, but now I gig with it!

Trainwreck and Bentayuk like this.
  20. Jace Nuzback

Jace Nuzback Member

Yup!