Atomic Ampli-fire box

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by partytrain, Jan 12, 2017.

1. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

LOL yes @ElectricPhase don't sell it!

@PhilosoPhrets (First of all, what a cool name) I like this idea of all noon settings, and adjusting the EQ block and the cabinet to shape the tone. I'll try this for the presets that use an amp block because at least then if I need to adjust anything live I know that my starting point was noon. For those using this trick you will likely need to adjust your knobs to line up with where the editor thinks they are. I noticed that physical knobs at noon did not reflect the same in the editor. I fixed this by setting all pots at one end of the range then loosened the knobs and move them so they would match the editor.

The concept of all knobs at noon doesn't work so well when you have a preset that doesn't have an amp block. With no amp block, only the level knob is active. To get a good acoustic sound from an acoustic IR I can't use an amp block. Without an amp block, I can't use the PreTone in the EQ block. I have to use the other 3 PEQs for gain because with no amp block I don't get enough gain/volume. So it would be nice to high pass the 100Hz and reduce the muddiness between 200Hz-400Hz and bring up the 2-5kHz, but I can't do that for the acoustic IR, because I need gain. All that is left is the cabinet roll off, bottom and air for tweaking. So far I can get an OK acoustic sound, but not as good as I could if I could actually use the EQ block for something other than gain. Adding a transparent amp and a GEQ block to the AFB would be a nice solution for those of us who are PEQ challenged.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    PhilosoPhrets likes this.
  2. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

You won't ever use the A/B mode and I'll never use the other mode (at least not gigging). This pedal is made for the both of us ;).

Saving knob values on a preset export doesn't change what it was designed to do. It can already read incoming knob values from A12 and AA3 presets and we know it can also save knob values in A/B mode. Because this would be a firmware change it also doesn't change the price point (though, not free because developers have to make the change). For this to to be as simply/easy as possible, I am only talking about saving the knob values on a preset export (it already reads them on import) as opposed to saving them on the AFB pedal. Though @dbagchee suggested solution would be my preference.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Darl likes this.
  3. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

If it can, saving knob values on export seems like a good option. One those of us that are adamantly "keep it WYSIWYG and as uncomplicated as possible!" Would never use or be bothered by :) I've got mine sounding good enough now that ir's gonna take one heck of an interesting IR or firmware update to get me to bother hooking it back up to the editor.

4. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

I may be wrong but I think @dbagchhee's proposal would satisfy all parties.

ElectricPhase likes this.
  5. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

You are right, as @dbagchee's suggestion would not interfere with those who like it all WYSIWYG, but would make those who want all presets to act like A/B mode happy. And when the presets are exported or a full back up is done if the global setting is in the "all A/B mode" the exports would keep the knob values.

6. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Member

Thanks, I guess I just need to control the overall volume and not go so hard with slapping and plucking to avoid blowing up my monitors? I use a couple of Fluid F4 monitors.

7. Jace Nuzback

Jace Nuzback Member

That's what the compressor is for!

TelePrankster, LordByron and ericb like this.
  8. LaXu

LaXu Member

So, has anyone tried using TWO of these units for a two amps at the same time setup? :)

dragonfly66 likes this.
  9. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

Spent the evening dialing in a beautiful clean tone with the Bassman sim and an Ownhammer V30 IR. One thing I didn't think about at all was that exported 'presets' don't actually recall the knob settings.

I lost my beautiful clean tone.

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but this thread is HUGE - is there a way to make the Ampli-Firebox load the actual saved settings when a preset is switched to - either via the editor program, or the toggles on the unit? This is a huge bummer if presets don't mean anything in terms of settings.

10. CaptainW

CaptainW Member

I make a printscreen with my presets to remember the settings.

It would be great to have a dialog box to choose to recall knob settings or not on preset importing (this way it would satisfy both types of users)

11. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

Not currently. Presets save everything but the knob positions.

12. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

This thread is an example of the main reason I am not on TGP as much as I used to be. I have been gigging a Kemper for the last 3 years and I also own a AA12 for rehearsals. So I spend much more of my time in the modelers forum these days. The thing I have noticed about the digital forum is you just can never make people happy. When someone designs a high end, larger footprint device, there are always call for a smaller, simpler, cheaper device. Many people even stating specific price points and footprint sizes they would like to see. Then when someone like Atomic or a few other manufacturers make a smaller, cheaper device, people start complaining about all the things it doesn't have or they start a wish list of the capabilities they wished it had. You see it in the amp forum a little too, but since amps have only a few limited options, there is less of it. The guys at Amplifire designed a pedal sized modeler for 299.00 that has the same sound as the higher end unit, but people still aren't happy. In fact at the last minute they added the option to toggle between presets. The guys at Atomic are smart and they are business men who try to deliver a product that has the features people want and a certain price point. There is only so much you are gonna get for 299.00. If you want more capabilities than buy the larger more expensive unit. Seriously. For 299.00 how much R&D and features can you really expect? Like my buddy that builds cabinets tells people, tell me what you want and I will tell you how much it costs. Tell me how much you have to spend, and I will tell you what that gets you.

13. CaptainW

CaptainW Member

Most of us aren't complaining (some are, I know).
    We just highlight one minor (at least for me) imperfection that could be addressed very easily in a future update (Atomic amps guys are free to take this into account or not) and make this product almost perfect (it's already a damn good product for such a price point but this minor tweak would, I am sure, bring some new guitarists on board)

14. Krzysiek M

Krzysiek M Member

Asking for basic preset saving/loading is asking too much? In a digital unit in 2018...? Seriously? ;) And whats wrong with giving the company a feedback from users who actually bought and use the product? Maybe we should not even complain about loud pop when changing channels or anything else if it is not at Kemper price level? ;)

15. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

Happy New Year everyone.

Asking for simple comprehansive and standard feautures in preset saving is not much and duable in the AFB for what i can see, its no deal breaker but perhaps for some sesitive members is too much to ask.

16. wedewer

Yes, it's too much to ask. And I am not referring to just the preset situation on the AFB. People are asking for a smaller cheaper Helix now, and I can assure you if Line 6 comes out with that, there will be people on here complaining about what it doesn't have. If you want preset saving, then buy the AA3.
    But you guys want them to spend more R&D time, on a 299.00 product, to give you a feature that's available in one of their other products.
    And while they are spending time doing that, it takes away from their time to do firmware updates and developing more amp models for their product. line. And if you read the AA forum or some posts on here, people are asking for new amp models and firmware updates, with some saying that the lack their of may be due to all their focus being on the AFB.
    And the popping on the foot switch vs asking for more capabilities is a false equivalence.

17. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Asking for knob parameters to get saved on preset exporting is *not* asking for too much by any means. More like the opposite, for any programmable device (which the AFB is, regardless of the WYSIWYG layout), parameters being saved on export is one of the most normal things one would expect. The thing is able to import parameters - so it should be able to export them too.
    And no, that's not like a bonus feature to ask for - but expected as a standard.

Fwiw: Personally, with just 8 parameters to adjust (well, make that even just 6-7 if you take level and probably even reverb out of the equation), I couldn't care less - but as far as such a functionality being bog standard goes, I can perfectly understand that people are complaining about it.

Phosphenetre likes this.
  18. wedewer

This proves my point exactly. For a product coming in, feature packed at 299.00, exporting the knob settings is "expected". That's delicious.

19. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Products with *way* more features costing 50 bucks save all their settings. What's your point? That we can't expect a standard feature just because the AFB sounds good?

20. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

What about people who spent ~$800 on the AA12 wanting updates. Same rules apply to them?