Atomic Ampli-fire box

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by partytrain, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan Member

Was playing with the Mark iv today. Hadn't bonded with it on my other attempts but I may have not been doing it right:

2. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

So now I wonder if this is a bug. When the amp block is off you only have the EQ block to do any type of shaping and gain and not having the PreTone limits that even more.

This is only an issue for me when using an acoustic IR with no amp block, so here's hoping they'll add a transparent amp block soon.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  3. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

I'd be cool with leaving it WYSIWYG, just save the knobs on preset export so when I import a preset its like it was when I saved it. I know the AFB is capable because it reads and stores those setting in A/B mode. No reason it couldn't save those same settings on preset export. If I import a A12 preset into the AFB it loads the knob settings so I know it can read incoming knob settings.

Leaving the pedal as it is, WYSIWYG, but allowing the knobs to be saved on preset export would not overcome any limitation of the pedal because it can already do this. It also won't change the way it works live. A good compromise I think.

4. Krzysiek M

Krzysiek M Member

I have mentioned similar thought about presets on Atomic forum but it seems that guys from Atomic just want to leave the thing as is. Because "many users wanted it that way". Which I doubt ;). Yamaha got it perfectly with the THR 5 - no presets on the unit but no problem with saving and loading them in the editor. The good thing is that the AFB sounds great and is somehow easier to achieve good sound than AA3 I had before.

5. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

I've been following this thread with some interest. I have an AA3 so you might say I don’t have a dog in this race. On the other hand to my purpose smaller is better and so I entertain the thought of the Ampli-Firebox. But there was always something that niggled and your comment suddenly made it clear to me. So thank you.

Given the amount of discussion that has been given over to how the controls work I think I am not alone in my puzzlement. I think the Ampli-Firebox suffers from presenting itself as a mixed metaphor. On the one hand in Bypass mode it is simply WYSIWYG. In A/B mode it’s both WYSIWYG and not WYSIWYG. It’s WYSIWYG if you move the controls but it’s not WYSIWYG if you just channel switch between A and B. But what I missed, and there it in the manual writ large as day, is that when you load a preset "None of the knob settings will be loaded ... These include Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence, Gain, Master, Reverb and Level."

And though obviously a design choice that I am sure Atomic gave good consideration to, I believe it was a misguided decision on their part. I do not believe that having the ability to save and load the knob values for presets will cannibalize the demand for their other products. The lack there of however might dissuade some from buying the product.

ucnick, zryder and Sascha Franck like this.
  6. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

I think if they can add an option in there somewhere that allows saving of knobs per preset that would make everyone happy. I actually like not having the knobs saved - keeps it feeling like a real amp for me and keeps me using my ears but I can see how presets with knob saving would be useful for other uses.

It could be a global setting in the editor that makes every preset act like the AB mode. Assuming the hardware doesn’t have a limitation of some sort that should work and still be able to keep the WYSIWYG to those that prefer it.

7. ElectricPhase

ElectricPhase Member

Amen! That's why my AFB is sitting unused at the moment, and probably on the way to eBay soon....even though I love many things about it including the way it sounds.

8. PhilosoPhrets

PhilosoPhrets Supporting Member

Interesting idea, dbagchee. Maybe an either or for WYSIWYG setting on the A/B mode could be added. OTOH, it might cause even more confusion for some? (ElectricPhase - you know as soon as you sell yours, they'll add that feature. :) )

It doesn't bother me, but I do understand the confusion that some have with the AFB as it is right now.

I set my A and B tones with all of the controls at noon. There is so much flexibility with the EQ in the editor, both in the EQ panel and the IR panel, that I had no trouble getting it to sound great with all physical controls midway up. Then, I just tweak them a bit for the room and go. Easy to "get back" to the starting point.

Best,
    Eddie

flcmcya, dbagchee and LordByron like this.
  9. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

You hit the nail on the head with the mixed metaphor comment. I am a software developer and I know that sometimes you can create something for a specific purpose and when users get a hold of it they will end up using it for other purposes you didn't see before or show you that something you left out, because you thought it wasn't critical, is in fact critical to them. This organic morphing of purpose is exciting and allows your solution to meet the needs of more people than you had originally planned. I agree, allowing the knob saves, whether in an exported preset or on the AFB itself, would not cannibalize their other sales simply because of the features they offer on the other models (midi, fx loop, other fx, more switching and routing options, etc).

My main reason for getting the AFB, knowing already the sound quality I could get out of it, was its size and the A/B mode. I had no intentions of using it in the other mode. Since I my basic tone needs are clean, overdriven, and acoustic for gigging it seemed like the perfect solution for me. A - clean, boost for OD, B - acoustic. Other fx (chorus, flanger, wah, etc) handled by external pedals. Done.

Correction to the manual (unless they remove this in some newer firmware), if you load a preset (.pre file) from the A12 or AA3, the knob values WILL load into the AFB. Because the AFB doesn't save the knob values when it does its own preset export (.fbp file) it won't load the knob values because it didn't save them.

Agreed.

LordByron likes this.
  10. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

For gigging purposes , and your mileage may vary, even with my old Kemper I only used one amp at a gig - and would toggle a couple of basic effects. I'll do the same with this box.

I don't want a preset switcher, and I don't want to pay for a design built around presets. In particular some kind of screen or LEDs or something else to tell you where the knobs are positioned or what preset you're in.

The simplicity of this box is its power and a big selling point - to me. I get one mode with a single amp/cabinet/effects chain that has one button to switch between effects states. That's what I'll gig with. That is not a preset-based design.

And then for people who love 2 channels I get another mode which allows me to switch between 2 presets - with all the knob values included. That is about as simple a preset mode (they should have called it preset mode instead of A/B mode) as you can have. And I'll never use it.

You can always say I wish it had this feature of that feature - but to me the better question is: what is this thing designed to do and at what price point? To me this design is great and I wouldn't change a thing.

11. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

LOL yes @ElectricPhase don't sell it!

@PhilosoPhrets (First of all, what a cool name) I like this idea of all noon settings, and adjusting the EQ block and the cabinet to shape the tone. I'll try this for the presets that use an amp block because at least then if I need to adjust anything live I know that my starting point was noon. For those using this trick you will likely need to adjust your knobs to line up with where the editor thinks they are. I noticed that physical knobs at noon did not reflect the same in the editor. I fixed this by setting all pots at one end of the range then loosened the knobs and move them so they would match the editor.

The concept of all knobs at noon doesn't work so well when you have a preset that doesn't have an amp block. With no amp block, only the level knob is active. To get a good acoustic sound from an acoustic IR I can't use an amp block. Without an amp block, I can't use the PreTone in the EQ block. I have to use the other 3 PEQs for gain because with no amp block I don't get enough gain/volume. So it would be nice to high pass the 100Hz and reduce the muddiness between 200Hz-400Hz and bring up the 2-5kHz, but I can't do that for the acoustic IR, because I need gain. All that is left is the cabinet roll off, bottom and air for tweaking. So far I can get an OK acoustic sound, but not as good as I could if I could actually use the EQ block for something other than gain. Adding a transparent amp and a GEQ block to the AFB would be a nice solution for those of us who are PEQ challenged.

PhilosoPhrets likes this.
  12. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

You won't ever use the A/B mode and I'll never use the other mode (at least not gigging). This pedal is made for the both of us ;).

Saving knob values on a preset export doesn't change what it was designed to do. It can already read incoming knob values from A12 and AA3 presets and we know it can also save knob values in A/B mode. Because this would be a firmware change it also doesn't change the price point (though, not free because developers have to make the change). For this to to be as simply/easy as possible, I am only talking about saving the knob values on a preset export (it already reads them on import) as opposed to saving them on the AFB pedal. Though @dbagchee suggested solution would be my preference.

Darl likes this.
  13. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

If it can, saving knob values on export seems like a good option. One those of us that are adamantly "keep it WYSIWYG and as uncomplicated as possible!" Would never use or be bothered by :) I've got mine sounding good enough now that ir's gonna take one heck of an interesting IR or firmware update to get me to bother hooking it back up to the editor.

14. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

I may be wrong but I think @dbagchhee's proposal would satisfy all parties.

ElectricPhase likes this.
  15. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

You are right, as @dbagchee's suggestion would not interfere with those who like it all WYSIWYG, but would make those who want all presets to act like A/B mode happy. And when the presets are exported or a full back up is done if the global setting is in the "all A/B mode" the exports would keep the knob values.

16. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Member

Thanks, I guess I just need to control the overall volume and not go so hard with slapping and plucking to avoid blowing up my monitors? I use a couple of Fluid F4 monitors.

17. Jace Nuzback

Jace Nuzback Member

That's what the compressor is for!

TelePrankster, LordByron and ericb like this.
  18. LaXu

LaXu Member

So, has anyone tried using TWO of these units for a two amps at the same time setup? :)

dragonfly66 likes this.
  19. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

Spent the evening dialing in a beautiful clean tone with the Bassman sim and an Ownhammer V30 IR. One thing I didn't think about at all was that exported 'presets' don't actually recall the knob settings.

I lost my beautiful clean tone.

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but this thread is HUGE - is there a way to make the Ampli-Firebox load the actual saved settings when a preset is switched to - either via the editor program, or the toggles on the unit? This is a huge bummer if presets don't mean anything in terms of settings.

20. CaptainW

CaptainW Member

I make a printscreen with my presets to remember the settings.

It would be great to have a dialog box to choose to recall knob settings or not on preset importing (this way it would satisfy both types of users)