Atomic Ampli-fire box

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by partytrain, Jan 12, 2017.

1. dbagchee

dbagchee Silver Supporting Member

Not currently. Presets save everything but the knob positions.

2. wedewer

wedewer Silver Supporting Member

This thread is an example of the main reason I am not on TGP as much as I used to be. I have been gigging a Kemper for the last 3 years and I also own a AA12 for rehearsals. So I spend much more of my time in the modelers forum these days. The thing I have noticed about the digital forum is you just can never make people happy. When someone designs a high end, larger footprint device, there are always call for a smaller, simpler, cheaper device. Many people even stating specific price points and footprint sizes they would like to see. Then when someone like Atomic or a few other manufacturers make a smaller, cheaper device, people start complaining about all the things it doesn't have or they start a wish list of the capabilities they wished it had. You see it in the amp forum a little too, but since amps have only a few limited options, there is less of it. The guys at Amplifire designed a pedal sized modeler for 299.00 that has the same sound as the higher end unit, but people still aren't happy. In fact at the last minute they added the option to toggle between presets. The guys at Atomic are smart and they are business men who try to deliver a product that has the features people want and a certain price point. There is only so much you are gonna get for 299.00. If you want more capabilities than buy the larger more expensive unit. Seriously. For 299.00 how much R&D and features can you really expect? Like my buddy that builds cabinets tells people, tell me what you want and I will tell you how much it costs. Tell me how much you have to spend, and I will tell you what that gets you.

3. CaptainW

CaptainW Member

Most of us aren't complaining (some are, I know).
    We just highlight one minor (at least for me) imperfection that could be addressed very easily in a future update (Atomic amps guys are free to take this into account or not) and make this product almost perfect (it's already a damn good product for such a price point but this minor tweak would, I am sure, bring some new guitarists on board)

4. Krzysiek M

Krzysiek M Member

Asking for basic preset saving/loading is asking too much? In a digital unit in 2018...? Seriously? ;) And whats wrong with giving the company a feedback from users who actually bought and use the product? Maybe we should not even complain about loud pop when changing channels or anything else if it is not at Kemper price level? ;)

5. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Member

Happy New Year everyone.

Asking for simple comprehansive and standard feautures in preset saving is not much and duable in the AFB for what i can see, its no deal breaker but perhaps for some sesitive members is too much to ask.

6. wedewer

Yes, it's too much to ask. And I am not referring to just the preset situation on the AFB. People are asking for a smaller cheaper Helix now, and I can assure you if Line 6 comes out with that, there will be people on here complaining about what it doesn't have. If you want preset saving, then buy the AA3.
    But you guys want them to spend more R&D time, on a 299.00 product, to give you a feature that's available in one of their other products.
    And while they are spending time doing that, it takes away from their time to do firmware updates and developing more amp models for their product. line. And if you read the AA forum or some posts on here, people are asking for new amp models and firmware updates, with some saying that the lack their of may be due to all their focus being on the AFB.
    And the popping on the foot switch vs asking for more capabilities is a false equivalence.

7. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Asking for knob parameters to get saved on preset exporting is *not* asking for too much by any means. More like the opposite, for any programmable device (which the AFB is, regardless of the WYSIWYG layout), parameters being saved on export is one of the most normal things one would expect. The thing is able to import parameters - so it should be able to export them too.
    And no, that's not like a bonus feature to ask for - but expected as a standard.

Fwiw: Personally, with just 8 parameters to adjust (well, make that even just 6-7 if you take level and probably even reverb out of the equation), I couldn't care less - but as far as such a functionality being bog standard goes, I can perfectly understand that people are complaining about it.

Phosphenetre likes this.
  8. wedewer

This proves my point exactly. For a product coming in, feature packed at 299.00, exporting the knob settings is "expected". That's delicious.

9. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Products with *way* more features costing 50 bucks save all their settings. What's your point? That we can't expect a standard feature just because the AFB sounds good?

10. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

What about people who spent ~$800 on the AA12 wanting updates. Same rules apply to them?

11. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

@wedewer Booooooooooo It's 2018, STOP complaining about others "complaining." If I'm reading your posts correctly you don't even own or use an AFB. You use a Kemper and A12 and came to this thread specifically to say, "This thread is an example of the main reason I am not on TGP as much as I used to be." Hallelujah!

Atomic is happy to get feedback about their products. Anyone who makes a product is happy to get feedback on how they can make their product better or more useful. Atomic responded to the same conversations around delay not being present on the AFB by adding it. Delay along with reverb made the AFB a more complete all-in-one solution AND caused more people to buy it. You characterize these conversations about ways to make the product better or more useful as "complaining" but it isn't, it is valuable feedback for a company who is trying to make products that it can sell to the most people.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  12. wedewer

What does 2018 have to do with anything. Does that wipe the whiny complaining TGP slate clean or something? My post wasn't specifically about just this thread, my comment was about the digital forum in general. For me, this thread was just a shining example of what I am talking about. "We are just trying to help them make the product better". Well almost any product on the planet can be made better in one way or another. But people that build gear are also business people. They delivered a featured filled product for 299.00 and now people basically want it to have 99% of the functionality of one of their other products they have at another price point. Why would they do that? Is their goal to make the AA3 obsolete. If you want presets to be able to be saved, Get the AA3. If the AA3 is too much money, or too big, or not the right form function for you, then the trade of is, the AFB. You pay less money and you get a few less capabilities.
    "well there are other products that have that feature that are 50.00 less". Well then buy that product. Maybe the Atomic guys spend more of their R&D time on tone instead of making a swiss army knife that sounds like ass.

Psychotronic likes this.
  13. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

The reference to 2018 was that this is a new year for you to do something better with your life than come to a place you don't like, to complain about the things you don't like, to people who you think are, "whiny". Why?

On the other hand, WE are discussing something that is important to US. This discussion may actually be fruitful for us as it may result in updates to the AFB. I am not sure how your comments will result in any value coming back to you.

Your premise, "and now people basically want it to have 99% of the functionality of one of their other products" is false. From what I gather the conversation is mostly around saving knob values on presets. There is no R&D needed because we know that the AFB can already save knob values in A/B mode AND we know it can load knob values in any mode if its a preset from the AA3 or A12. WE even talked about how adding this wouldn't cannibalize their other products.

14. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Wouldn’t saving knob changes just be a tweak in the software? It’s not really adding a “feature” in the physical sense. In the modeling world, software tweaks and updates are common place, aren’t they? I don’t even own any Atomic products, but as an observer, asking for the knob settings to be saved for preset transfers hardly seems like whining to me.

ElectricPhase and Sascha Franck like this.
  15. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

I think this thread has been marked by a genuine enthusiasm for the product with people offering advice and experience. Not everyone is using the device in the same way and for some there are minor changes to the way presets are saved and loaded that would enhance their experience. I don’t read it as carping or whining. I read it as constructive comment. Whether Atomic elects to act on it is up to them. I think if there is any incivility, it is yours.

dragonfly66 likes this.
  16. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Exactly. And not even of the software the unit is using but the editor only. The unit already does everything required.

ElectricPhase and dragonfly66 like this.
  17. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Member

Yeah, you're right. :)

18. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

This is the Gear Page, we talk about gear, we praise gear, we criticize gear, we focus on new products, we always have mixed reactions, we know manufacturers read our posts. I agree that everything in this thread is totally appropriate, not overly complaining, extremely beneficial to Atomic, and also helpful to competitors like Line6 who will think "ah lets make sure it has this feature when we introduce our Baby Helix. This is a forum to discuss gear. If someone thinks a thing should have or shouldn't have a feature then that's a perfectly acceptable discussion point. What's not ok, is when it gets personal between forum members and people start attacking each other for their view - which hasn't happened in this thread at all, which is awesome.

Brandon7s likes this.
  19. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

Truth bombs right here.

djd100 and wedewer like this.
  20. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

Discussing gear and ways it can be improved is always good. Buying a piece of gear expecting it to be one thing only to find out it's another can be frustrating. I did that with EZ-Drummer (which is really stupid because I probably could have done more research before dropping the money). At least with hardware you can sell it and move on.

On the "saving knob values" front, has anybody tested when importing an AA3/12 preset how long the values remain associated with the present instead of knobs? I know turning a knob acts to wiggle/wake, but what about after a power cycle? Or going from preset mode to channel mode? While discussing gear and how it can be improved is great, it's also really good to recognize when you are just trying to cram a square peg into a round hole.