Atomic Ampli-fire box

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by partytrain, Jan 12, 2017.

1. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

After the import of the A12 presets in A/B mode the knob values stay until you move the knobs (while the pedal is on), even through a power cycle. I'll have to test the other mode.

2. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

Yeah, the other mode is the important one and my hunch is - power cycle sets everything back to WYSIWYG.

3. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

I stand to be corrected but believe that changes to values associated with knobs on the AA3 are only in effect while the preset is active. (There is a blinking red light that alerts you if a value has been changed.) If you have moved the knobs and switch to another preset you will be asked whether you want to save it or discard it. That is unless you are in A/B mode in which case the changes are just discarded. Unless you save the preset the old values will be in effect for the preset. The same applies after a power cycle.

A comment about knob saving on the AFB. I have always thought it to be akin to auto-save. That said, I don’t think it would have any bearing on saving and loading those values for a preset. The firmware knows the state of the knobs. If the setting and retrieval of values on the device is done via memory mapping then any changes needed could be done in the editor. On the other hand if getters and setters are used then the firmware would have to be updated to provide support for saving and loading knob values.

One other thing about saving/loading knob values for the AFB. It strikes me that it would be most practical when using the device in A/B mode and never moving the knobs. I say this because unless you have recorded the knob positions you don’t have a frame of reference. On the AA3 when you move a knob the display indicates the deviation from the preset value - in other words, you know where you are. The other use, which I took to be the original scenario, is to be able to restore the device to a known state.

4. Watt McCo

5. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

Well I think we are both 'supposing' here :) You say, and it’s a valid supposition, that it’s not really "autosaving" because there seems to be no place to autosave the value on the hardware for presets.

I am supposing that the firmware knows about the state of the knobs. My reasoning is that both the AA3 and AA12 know about the state of the knobs. And I surmise that the AFB is not based on a radically different architecture - circumscribed but not radically different. In my experience you want to try and get the maximum reuse out of your software.

So, yes, it is conjecture on my part. And as used to be said, 'only the Shadow knows' or in this instance, Atomic.

6. Watt McCo

Yes, the AFB editor knows the state of the knobs. But that's not terribly helpful. If a value for the knobs can't be saved with a preset ON THE HARDWARE then having the knob values save on export in AFB seems pretty pointless to me - "oh, goodie, I can import a preset including knob values, as long as I don't ever unplug the unit again that's great. So I guess I take a laptop to the gig and import all my presets before the gig.". While I'm supposing, my suppositions are also based on the knowledge that the product required a HARDWARE revision to allow channel mode.

7. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

I'm not sure I follow. If I can load a preset and all of the state information associated with the preset except for knob values can be preserved across power cycles why is it a huge stretch to have the knob state preserved as well. The issue I think is how the state would be preserved. And here I think I better understand why you find my autosave analogy off the mark.

On the AA3 I can save all of the state on the hardware using the hardware, or I can use the editor to do the same thing - I use the editor because it’s just easier that way. With the AFB I believe you have to use the editor to adjust any parameter other than a value controlled by a knob. So my question would be, why not allow the values for the knobs to be set in the editor as well.

There is a tacit assumption on my part in all of this. That is that there is sufficient memory on the device to hold the knob state.

8. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

I confirmed that ByPass mode does NOT keep the knob values of an imported A12 preset after a power cycle.
    1. AFB in ByPass mode
    2. Imported A12 preset. Editor shows the knob values change to the imported preset.
    3. Unplugged AFB.
    4. Moved knobs.
    5. Turned on AFB.
    6. Knobs in editor show the same locations on the AFB, NOT the original knobs.
    As a software developer, it makes sense to me to reuse code where possible, especially at the object level where you have three products doing much of the same thing and holding much of the same data. What I'm hoping for is the perfect solution that was mentioned before which is to have a global setting that turns off or on the ability for the AFB to "auto-save" knobs values on the pedal and the ability to save knob values on export if that global setting is turned on.

I'm believing everything we ask for is possible until Atomic says it isn't or says they'll never do it. I'm assuming both the editor and the AFB would need to be updated. There would need to be enough space on the AFB to handle the new code and to handle the saving of the knob values for all 9 presets.

My desire to have the knob values on export from the AFB comes from me using the A/B mode where the knob values are saved on the device (even after a power cycle) as opposed to ByPass mode where they are not. I agree with you @Watt McCo, the scenario you described is not a useful one. If for some reason I've come up with the greatest preset of all I'd love to save it... and load it back up, if I somehow ruined the tone by messing with the knobs.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Watt McCo likes this.
  9. tomsy49

tomsy49 Member

Am i correct in saying that in A/B mode, i would use the amp channel and style toggles to select my amp type for channel A (ex. '59 bassman). I would set the bass, mid, treble etc however i want. Say i turn the mids down all the way for a scooped sound. I then hit the bypass button to switch to channel B. Again, i can use the 2 switches to select my channel B amp (BRit 800). I can then adjust the bass mid, etc to the sound i want on channel B. I have the mids up higher on channel B for my drive sound. Now, say i go back to channel A and decide i scooped out the mids too much and want to add some back in. If i adjust the mids knob, does that make all of the knobs active and screw up all my EQ settings previously set or will it just affect the mids? Or not at all? Or do you set up each preset how you want it in Bypass mode, and when you switch to A/B mode, you use any of the 9 preset slots for channel A/b and have to stick to the settings you set up in bypass mode?

10. Watt McCo

You've got it correct. Each knob is independently wiggle-wake in channel mode.

TelePrankster likes this.
  11. tomsy49

tomsy49 Member

Thank you for clarifying!

TelePrankster likes this.
  12. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

A very affordable $299 modeller with high quality sound, comprehensive FX, an excellent software editor, IR loading and designed to be used as a WYSIWYG device is being taken to task by a vocal bunch that could have bought the Atomic product with a proper preset system?

No way! Lol

Only on TGP DMF! ;)

The rest of TGP is pretty civil and balanced but not here. It’s been like a sandpit with squabbling children for quite some time now.

I have no idea why manufacturers would brave this place. Frank from L6 made it pretty clear in a Helix thread recently.

Something about loathing the process of clicking into the forum due to the bombardment of abuse and angst.

Guess the Atomic guys feel the same!

Good job fellas! :cool:

13. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

They have the same level of visibility on their own forum

:hide2:anon:D

14. zryder

zryder Member

Anyone know where I could find some free Dr Z profiles for the Amplifirebox? Looking for something similar to that Dr Z pack that came out for the Kemper (those weren't free though).

15. Watt McCo

Yeah, it doesn't work that way

LordByron likes this.
  16. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

There’s a preset exchange section on the Atomic forum. You might ask there.
    http://atomicamps.com/forum/index.php?forums/preset-exchange.17/

17. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Member

I don't get where you're seeing all this "Abuse and Angst". This forum is actually much less critical than it should be, in my opinion. If you don't believe me, try making a rational, level-headed post about any flaw you notice in the Helix. That said, the only angst and abuse going on in this thread is coming from people like you, and ironically directed towards the people who love the product Atomic has made the most.

I see perfectly reasonable technical discussions going on here about how a wonderful product might be improved even more, and then we post like yours: unconstructive, patronizing, off-topic, over-generalizing insults. I'm hoping you don't actually obtain an AFB, I can only imagine how much more insufferable contributions like yours to this thread might be.

This mentality, right here: "guys, stop asking for better things or more features, you should be perfectly content with the gear you already have!"

That mentality? Yeah, that is a ridiculous mentality to wish to enforce on others IN AN ENTIRE WEBSITED DEDICATED TO DISCUSSING GEAR. We talk about things and how to improve upon them because that is what this forum before is for, and because some of us would like for technology to continue to improve.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    DeSelby and Sascha Franck like this.
  18. whitewave

whitewave Member

did anybody try using it as a plain IR loader?
    I found a good deal on a Two Notes Live, and I was going to pull the trigger. Then I thought "wait, I can get the Captor as a load box for my plexi and the Firebox for loading IR!"
    Would the final result be comparable to Two Notes systems?

Lately I bought son IRs from various sources, I enjoy Celestions the best.

19. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Fwiw, re: WYSIWYG vs. Editor vs. Knob-Setting-Savings

All this proves that for any such a product, endless rotary encoders with LED value readout rings would be the best solution by far!
    With the AFB it'd give you:
    - Instant on-unit WYSIWYG of parameters loaded from presets.
    - WYSIWYG in A/B mode.
    - No conflicts between editor and on-unit settings.

In other words: Perfect.
    Shouldn't be an issue in terms of additional cost, either, given that you can get a BCR2000 (featuring 32 LED ring encoders) for 150 bucks.

ToneGrail and LordByron like this.
  20. dbagchee

dbagchee Silver Supporting Member

Works great as an IR loader and being able to run just poweramp sims add to the flexibility.

LordByron and JiveTurkey like this.