Atomic Ampli-fire box

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by partytrain, Jan 12, 2017.

1. tomsy49

tomsy49 Member

Thank you for clarifying!

TelePrankster likes this.
  2. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

A very affordable $299 modeller with high quality sound, comprehensive FX, an excellent software editor, IR loading and designed to be used as a WYSIWYG device is being taken to task by a vocal bunch that could have bought the Atomic product with a proper preset system?

No way! Lol

Only on TGP DMF! ;)

The rest of TGP is pretty civil and balanced but not here. It’s been like a sandpit with squabbling children for quite some time now.

I have no idea why manufacturers would brave this place. Frank from L6 made it pretty clear in a Helix thread recently.

Something about loathing the process of clicking into the forum due to the bombardment of abuse and angst.

Guess the Atomic guys feel the same!

Good job fellas! :cool:

3. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

They have the same level of visibility on their own forum

:hide2:anon:D

4. zryder

zryder Member

Anyone know where I could find some free Dr Z profiles for the Amplifirebox? Looking for something similar to that Dr Z pack that came out for the Kemper (those weren't free though).

5. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

Yeah, it doesn't work that way

LordByron likes this.
  6. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

There’s a preset exchange section on the Atomic forum. You might ask there.
    http://atomicamps.com/forum/index.php?forums/preset-exchange.17/

7. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Silver Supporting Member

I don't get where you're seeing all this "Abuse and Angst". This forum is actually much less critical than it should be, in my opinion. If you don't believe me, try making a rational, level-headed post about any flaw you notice in the Helix. That said, the only angst and abuse going on in this thread is coming from people like you, and ironically directed towards the people who love the product Atomic has made the most.

I see perfectly reasonable technical discussions going on here about how a wonderful product might be improved even more, and then we post like yours: unconstructive, patronizing, off-topic, over-generalizing insults. I'm hoping you don't actually obtain an AFB, I can only imagine how much more insufferable contributions like yours to this thread might be.

This mentality, right here: "guys, stop asking for better things or more features, you should be perfectly content with the gear you already have!"

That mentality? Yeah, that is a ridiculous mentality to wish to enforce on others IN AN ENTIRE WEBSITED DEDICATED TO DISCUSSING GEAR. We talk about things and how to improve upon them because that is what this forum before is for, and because some of us would like for technology to continue to improve.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    DeSelby and Sascha Franck like this.
  8. whitewave

whitewave Member

did anybody try using it as a plain IR loader?
    I found a good deal on a Two Notes Live, and I was going to pull the trigger. Then I thought "wait, I can get the Captor as a load box for my plexi and the Firebox for loading IR!"
    Would the final result be comparable to Two Notes systems?

Lately I bought son IRs from various sources, I enjoy Celestions the best.

9. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Fwiw, re: WYSIWYG vs. Editor vs. Knob-Setting-Savings

All this proves that for any such a product, endless rotary encoders with LED value readout rings would be the best solution by far!
    With the AFB it'd give you:
    - Instant on-unit WYSIWYG of parameters loaded from presets.
    - WYSIWYG in A/B mode.
    - No conflicts between editor and on-unit settings.

In other words: Perfect.
    Shouldn't be an issue in terms of additional cost, either, given that you can get a BCR2000 (featuring 32 LED ring encoders) for 150 bucks.

ToneGrail and LordByron like this.
  10. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

Works great as an IR loader and being able to run just poweramp sims add to the flexibility.

LordByron and JiveTurkey like this.
  11. the.godfather

the.godfather Member

I'm still loving my AFB. I've since sold my Kemper, that's how good this little unit is. It's currently on a PT Nano+ board alongside a Polytune and an Eventide H9 and I can honestly say it's the happiest I've been with my tone and the sounds I get. I use the AFB as my 'amp' and then use the H9 for pretty much everything else. It's so good in fact that I'm already planning a bigger board with perhaps another H9 on and some other OD pedals for some different gain stages and textures. That's the great thing about the AFB in my opinion, it's just so modular.

It's got me looking forward and being excited to play regularly again.

dbagchee, Gasp100 and JiveTurkey like this.
  12. JiveTurkey

I've owned all the digital gear and the Atomic stuff kills a lot of it on an amp tone basis as long as you can deal with the associated caveats. If there are any, when considering your own viewpoints and needs.

13. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Member

Recently I'm using the pedal in A/B mode just for practice. A is for guitar and I switch amp and effects using the app, B is for bass. I use a poweramp sim + a couple of external IRs.

14. joesatch

joesatch Member

Looking for tips on reducing noise. My main sounds are either the HotBrit with a tube screamer or the Friedman with tube screamer. Screamers are about 50% gain, rest settings at noon. I'm getting significant static i use monster cables and my axe has potted humbuckers. I dont get this kind of static with my Ax8. I use the master and gain as part of my tone shaping and overall output level i use the Level knob. Getting lots of static.

15. Brandon7s

I would also be curious to know what others are doing, if anything, to help mitigate noise. It's definitely a noise box, in my experience, and that's even when using the noise gate block in the AFB. Which seems really strange... why would there still be a decent amount of noise from it if the noisegate is engaged? (and it's definitely engaged, threshold of zero).

LordByron likes this.
  16. JiveTurkey

Have you tried using an isolated power supply? I ran it off my Voodoo Labs and TruTone CS12 and I think that helped quite a bit.

17. Psychotronic

Psychotronic Member

Perfect for you, maybe. I don't want or need any of that.

18. Psychotronic

Psychotronic Member

My "B" preset is the 5150, and I can take my hands off the guitar and get no noise at all. I do use the onboard gate and a Voodoo Labds PP2+, though -- maybe that's it.

19. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

If the encoders are so cheap...why does the BCR cost $150?

Maybe it's just because I'm not really a preset guy, but I just don't see why having amp knob settings saved as part of a preset is so critical. I don't have any tones that turn to poop because I have gain on 6 instead of 5, or treble on 8 instead of 6.

20. Brandon7s

I have tried that and not noticed a difference. The problem might very well be associated with a ground loop though. I actually just solved a ground-loop problem that was affecting my audio interface when connected to my studio monitors. I used one of these and it did the trick beautifully. I'm going to buy another one and see if set it up between my pedal board and my audio interface. Also going to try the bare essentials down to a corner of the apartment that doesn't have a massive mess of wiring and electrics that are potentially causing interference. That might help me narrow down the issue, if even there is one that can be fixed. If not, then oh well. The noise isn't so bad that it makes me not want to use the device, it'd just be nicer to have it close to as quiet as my Helix.