Atomic Ampli-fire box

denest

Just want to share my excitement!
AFB + York Audio IRs = killer config!
I'm just an amateaur without any real amp experience but I have demanding hearing.
I think people find Strymon Iridium better sounding because that just works out of the box. That is kind of a plug and play modeler with three good amp models and good stock IRs. But AFB is much more: it has 14+ quality amp models, IR loader, EQ, and all the essential effects. People find it comparable to Iridium after tweaking the EQ. Some says it's because of the stock IRs. The solution: York Audio IRs.
You just have to drop some YA IR mixes onto it, and voila! Without any EQ (just some High pass or low shelf if needed) it is fabulous! In the YA IR packs there are only several dozens of files which all are usable. Most people just try one of the mixes, which all are nailed to perfection and all are excellent.
You can find Your tone in minutes.
The mkII version said to have better stock IRs. I don't know the difference. But with YA IRs surely they are perfect!

I've searched for a small multi Fx with a quality modeler, but none is comparable to the AFB. I'm sure I found the best sounding compact multifx/modeler I could!
It's a pity it can't be purchased in continental Europe. I could hardly find a used one in a neighboring country.

Cheers!
Tom

Last edited:

Naigewron

Just want to share my excitement!
AFB + York Audio IRs = killer config!
I'm just an amateaur without any real amp experience but I have demanding hearing.
I think people find Strymon Iridium better sounding because that just works out of the box. That is kind of a plug and play modeler with three good amp models and good stock IRs. But AFB is much more: it has 14+ quality amp models, IR loader, EQ, and all the essential effects. People find it comparable to Iridium after tweaking the EQ. Some says it's because of the stock IRs. The solution: York Audio IRs.
You just have to drop some YA IR mixes onto it, and voila! Without any EQ (just some High pass or low shelf if needed) it is fabulous! In the YA IR packs there are only several dozens of files which all are usable. Most people just try one of the mixes, which all are nailed to perfection and all are excellent.
You can find Your tone in minutes.
The mkII version said to have better stock IRs. I don't know the difference. But with YA IRs surely they are perfect!

I've searched for a small multi Fx with a quality modeler, but none is comparable to the AFB. I'm sure I find the best sounding compact multifx/modeler I could!
It's a pity it can't be purchased in continental Europe. I could hardly find a used one in a neighboring country.

Cheers!
Tom

Agreed, the YA IRs are exceptional. Even the sampler IR they sell for $1 is extremely usable and flexible.

tommyga

Silver Supporting Member
Fellas, I just bought a Firebox to use in a Duo. I will be using a Hybrid Guitar..sending the Piezo to my TC Play Acoustic, and my Electric Side to the Firebox. Can you tell me if I can set-up, say, a clean Deluxe sound, and then use the footswitch to access a heavy Compressed kinda Country Tone?..and just go back and forth between the 2?

JoeInOttawa

Fellas, I just bought a Firebox to use in a Duo. I will be using a Hybrid Guitar..sending the Piezo to my TC Play Acoustic, and my Electric Side to the Firebox. Can you tell me if I can set-up, say, a clean Deluxe sound, and then use the footswitch to access a heavy Compressed kinda Country Tone?..and just go back and forth between the 2?
That's exactly what it's designed to do, give you essentially a two-channel amp (3-channel, if you have the new one.

tommyga

Silver Supporting Member
Yep. Once I wrapped my head around it being a 2-channel WYSIWYG any-amp-in-a-box, it finally made sense.
Jace and eclecto ..thank you very much for helping me out. One more question, if I use it like that, I guess I can also use the boost button to boost the volume of either channel, right? So would you guys recommend that to make things real easy.. I get a separate mini OD pedal for when I’d like a little hair on the tone?

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
Jace and eclecto ..thank you very much for helping me out. One more question, if I use it like that, I guess I can also use the boost button to boost the volume of either channel, right? So would you guys recommend that to make things real easy.. I get a separate mini OD pedal for when I’d like a little hair on the tone?

Not to steal Jace's thunder, but I think it's late where they are :cool:

Yes, you can do it that way. If you hold down the "Enable" switch from its default mode, it'll change to an A/B switch. Between the A/B and the Boost, you're golden. From the manual:

1638335622677.png

tommyga

Silver Supporting Member
Not to steal Jace's thunder, but I think it's late where they are :cool:

Yes, you can do it that way. If you hold down the "Enable" switch from its default mode, it'll change to an A/B switch. Between the A/B and the Boost, you're golden. From the manual:

View attachment 445121
Geez, thank you very much (once again) eclecto (and Jace).
Guys, I'm 64 years old..and being a bit of a geezer...and not really good with anything other than an Amp, a Guitar, and Individual Pedals. When I start delving in...would it be cool to ask you fellas for some help?

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
Hey man, all good. I don't know if I'll be of any specific help beyond what's already transpired, but we can hope, right? :D

DonaldR

Just for reference regarding my AFB making pulsating noise when running out of 9v battery or with other pedals (post #5,534). I just bought a Joyo ZGP (9v isolator) and it's now working perfectly. I have a very portable setup with the AFB + Korg Pitch-black tuner and Line 6 G30 wireless on an Outlaw Effects Nomad S128 battery powered pedalboard. Fits in my gigbag.

Funny to see the eyes of other musicians when I'm showing up to the practice/jam/gig with only a gigbag :) Put the pedalboard on the floor (don't even have to look for a power outlet), send the XLR cable to the mixer desk and voilà, I'm ready to play in less than 5 minutes! Little to no adjustment on the desk EQ either.

Thinline 69

Please list some of your favorite IRs for Deluxe Reverb/57 Tweed Deluxe tones. I’m new to using IRs. I recently purchased a MK II. I’m currently getting some very nice sounds, but I would still like to experiment.

Thinline 69

Jace…The Ampli-Firebox MKII is a fantastic replacement for AmpliTube! It sounded fantastic from the first day. Now that I’ve spent some time learning and tweaking, it will be my main solo amp. It will also be my main small club amp, when I have my band with me. AmpliTube will serve as an emergency backup. Medium and larger venues I will probably continue to use my amps.

ArcTrainer

...my band, Tori Roze and The Hot Mess, just released a new song entitled, "Seek Your Sunshine." I used my Ampli-Firebox(D'Lux model)>Jam+Apogee>Macbook Pro running Logic...used Jay Mitchell's "JMDemoC" & "JMDR2" IR's...I've been using his far-field IR's for several years...anyway...it's a neo-soul/jazzy/pop groover...check it out!

mmmazzz

...my band, Tori Roze and The Hot Mess, just released a new song entitled, "Seek Your Sunshine." I used my Ampli-Firebox(D'Lux model)>Jam+Apogee>Macbook Pro running Logic...used Jay Mitchell's "JMDemoC" & "JMDR2" IR's...I've been using his far-field IR's for several years...anyway...it's a neo-soul/jazzy/pop groover...check it out!

EXCELLENT, congratulations! Great vibe, and the guitar sounds killah!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom