Atomic Amplifire and fuzz pedals on your pedalboard

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Mrkiammi, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

Hi,
    i am just curious, i have seen a lot of minimalistic pedalboards with a wah/vol pedal+H9 (max?)
    and maybe a tuner... but what about you guys who need fuzz ??, (onboard fuzz tone is still only fuzzface right??)
    i own an Atomic Amplifire and love fuzz tones, so i have 3 fuzz pedals.
    Mojohand fx Crosstown (which is a fuzz face ish pedal sil/ger hybrid)
    Catalinbread octapussy (which is a octafuzz pedal)
    function f(x) Clusterfuzz (multi fuzz)

but what do you guys have
    please also share pics, if you have any.

flcmcya likes this.
  2. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

I just picked up the DOD Carcosa Fuzz and plan to use it both with the Amplifire and my real amps. It's my first fuzz so still figuring it out but it's a pretty inspiring little pedal! I can't believe I've waited this long to try a fuzz!

Mrkiammi likes this.
  3. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

i think you will find, that the amplifire just love pedals overall, also your fuzz pedal :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  4. rocketboss

rocketboss Supporting Member

Currently running a LovePedal Ezekiel in front of the AmpliFire, which is basically a Fuzz Face circuit.

I have a tone of fuzz and quite often swap out the EP Booster to make room for MKI's, II's, III's etc. All of which sound fantastic live in front of AmpliFire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

wow thats a lot of sweet fuzzes, i know its hard to pickout the "childeren", but if you should make a top 5, which fuzz pedals would you prefer

6. RGB

RGB Member

My Mini-Bone sounded great into the AF. Almost eliminated the need for anything else! :)

7. Scott2815

Scott2815 Member

I quite like the onboard fuzz on the AF, great in front of the Plexi model to get close to those Hendrix tones. But I have been considering a real fuzz face for some time, maybe a Hendrix one.

Not fuzz related but pedals in general work great in front of the AF, I love my EP boost into the Marshall models!

8. Scott2815

Scott2815 Member

Just wow! I'd love a Mk1 or MKII fuzz, those are the ones Jimmy Page used, is that right?

9. snooze

snooze Member

I'm using a Lunar Module with my AF with great success. That board (see my avatar) was finally tested lately during a gig and I really liked my tone (and everyone else!!).

AF really likes pedal!!

Mrkiammi likes this.
  10. partytrain

partytrain Supporting Member

[​IMG]

EQD Hoof into the Cornford model is a beautiful thing.

Hackdog69 and Mrkiammi like this.
  11. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

Im setting up the exact board u described with a Wah, Volume , H9,and a 4 switch Midi...... now might have to throw a Minibone on her for kicks! :confused:

12. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

[​IMG]

I've found a fuzz face into the Plexi sim sounds great.

Scott2815 likes this.
  13. rocketboss

It would be very difficult to choose 5 Fuzz when taking in to consideration rolling off the guitars volume knob or where the gate becomes involved with a particular fuzz box or on, and on and on, etc.

But, in general I will comment that I love the way a MKI, with the uses of the GTR's volume knob can do an excellent job of providing a sweet version of a 3 channel amp. How a MKII has that addictive smooth, mid range raunch and the fuzz face circuit can be absolutely fabulous into a treble booster and or boost, but still cleans up the the guitars volume knob. My personal favorite circuit, at least at this point, is the Baldwin Burns Buzzaround! Pretty much unobtainable, but the current production PIGDOG Fuzzbound is a fantastic fuzz box. I crave the D*A*M Buzzaround, but it's very hard to snag one out there in fuzz land!

By no means do I want to hi-jack this into a fuzz thread, but I tend to treat the AmpliFire pedal like a tube driven, guitar amplifier and feel it excels in this setting!

Scott2815 and Mrkiammi like this.
  14. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

Analogman SunBender and Basic Audio Shorebird both sound great with it (via a Barber DirectDrive for basic OD).

15. rocketboss

16. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

17. ck3

ck3 Member

I'm finding that certain guitars and fuzzes can be unexpectedly noisy with the Amplifire and headphones in ways that render them unusable.

At the present moment, in what is proving to be an ongoing trial and error learning experience, this is my current fuzz collection:

Fuzzhugger V2 Algal Bloom
    Holowon Static Egg
    MJK Electronics Ampeg Scrambler clone
    3dpt Fuzz Machine
    Tomsline Black Teeth
    Earthbound Audio Pale Mare
    ARC Effects Crimson King
    Sofa Car Effects Violet Ram's Head EHX BMP clone
    Noisereap Asstone
    J. Rockett WTF
    Enchanter Effects Tonebender MKII clone
    Fredric Effects Perky Harlot

... and I have a Function (fx) Clusterfuzz inbound.

What amp model and IR combo do other AF users prefer for fuzzes? I noticed earlier references in this thread to the Plexi, Marshall, and Cornford models. I've had decent luck with the JCM 800, Cornford, and Fender Twin models using a Redwirez Marshall 1960A IR.