• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Atomic Amplifire - And Go!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolasrivera

Platinum Supporting Member
Recording is at least 50% of the reason people use modellers. Their goal was to compete against the Pod, or Zoom G3, or Boss GT, etc but with the quality of the $2000 units. Except even the $200 units have features that the Atomic does not have. Makes you wonder, why not? Even the AxeFX eventually had USB Audio when they introduced the II, if it was "not important at all" like you guys are claiming, why would they even consider the thought? Everyone owns an expensive interface already right? Did Fractal Audio make a big mistake "wasting money" on such a useless feature?

I believe the Kemper guys can answer that question with a better perspective over what they envision for the unit not including an audio interface when it was being developed.

@sniwfall totally agree! It's probably a lot more than 50% even. Honestly I know a few pros who prefer to use modelers than mc an amp. And I mean guys that make a living doing music etc.

Tybalt

Recording is at least 50% of the reason people use modellers. Their goal was to compete against the Pod, or Zoom G3, or Boss GT, etc but with the quality of the $2000 units. Except even the $200 units have features that the Atomic does not have. Makes you wonder, why not? Even the AxeFX eventually had USB Audio when they introduced the II, if it was "not important at all" like you guys are claiming, why would they even consider the thought? Everyone owns an expensive interface already right? Did Fractal Audio make a big mistake "wasting money" on such a useless feature?

I mean, it's annoying that they left it out... but the ultimate thing is sound and feel. If the product were to come out with usb audio but had unsatisfying sound then the usb audio out is useless.

Perhaps they left it out because, as other posters have pointed out, in order to keep it under that $599 price point the usb audio out would only be treated as an afterthought, with cheaper components.

Perhaps they wanted no weak-links in the chain. If they included a sub-par interface within the unit then perhaps it wouldn't record with a commensurate level of quality to its modeling. If an interface was included in the unit, many users would naturally use that instead of a dedicated, stand-alone interface of comparable quality - which may lead to a bad/inaccurate reputation on how it records. Shrug, these are just random hypos but we should still keep in mind its price point.

And when it comes to the AxeFx - at $2000+ it becomes a helluva a lot more reasonable to expect all the bells and whistles.

SnowfaLL

Not buying your reasoning. It couldn't cost so much to make it not worth putting it in, and assuming the quality of their interface was as decent as the one put on $200 Line 6 units, it would be perfectly fine as an included interface - as with even the AxeFX II, people when in their own studio room can use their "real" interface, but it is convenient to have at least SOMETHING just incase you are not in your studio room.

Like I said, I'm probably going to buy the Amplifire, but I don't think its going to live up to the expectations anymore, when you factor in no multiple effects, no USB audio, lack of expression pedal input, and many other simple features that is mind-bogglingly left out. As soon as Line 6 makes their next HD series lineup, or even if they made the HD in a smaller pedal footprint, I'll probably sell my Amplifire to get on board with a Two Notes CAB for custom IR loading.

randombastage

Gold Supporting Member
Recording is at least 50% of the reason people use modellers. ...

Based on what evidence?

I've constantly got more than one modeler and usually that includes one of the top two at any time. I play through at least one of them almost every day and don't record anywhere close to once a week let alone every other day. I use a looper to work out ideas...I'd rather they include a looper function...but it wont stop me from buying it if it doesnt. I have a dedicated looper...two actually!

When I do record I don't use the modeler as the interface....I had to stop and think which ones even have that feature of the ones in the room right now.

Now I can't tell you how many people are like me, but I don't think you have accurately described the recording needs or habits of 'every player that uses modelers'.

People that record 50% of the time they are playing are probably a small small fraction of all guitar players and they probably have a dedicated interface already so the AmpliFire having one or not isn't going to be a deal breaker for more than a fraction of the fraction...

I wish they had iOS USB on it for travelling/recording but at home I'll plug it into my interface if it sounds good enough to be my recording modeler.

My guess is the AmpliFire was conceived to be the better sounding version of a of Pod bean device that works as a pedal on stage/practice room and if they sell as many as Line6 did we will have lots of Atomic modelling gear in the future...with all the stuff almost everyone wants packed in...

Last edited:

SnowfaLL

Based on what evidence?

I've constantly got more than one modeler and usually that includes one of the top two at any time. I play through at least one of them almost every day and don't record anywhere close to once a week let alone every other day.

When I do record I don't use the modeler as the interface....I had to stop and think which ones even have that feature of the ones in the room right now.

Now I can't tell you how many people are like me, but I don't think you have accurately described the recording needs or habits of every player that uses modelers.

People that record 50% of the time they are playing are probably a small small fraction of all guitar players and they probably have a dedicated interface already so the AmpliFire having one or not isn't going to be a deal breaker for more than a fraction of the fraction...

Oh Ok, I suppose that's why every studio since 1998 owning Pod's (which is essentially every studio in the world) all use them mic'd up. I gotcha.

If you own a Pod, Kemper, AxeFX, etc.. chances are you are recording. There is a myth that modellers sound like **** live, and every soundman groans when he sees anyone come on stage with any modeller, including the AxeFX. I don't believe it obviously, but there must be a reason why most of the guitar playing community feels that way?? It was only recently that people discovered "FRFR" type setups to run live, and have their modellers actually sound like they should! The majority of people who buy this type of gear, are using them for recording purposes, its pretty much a fact.

Just about everyone I know who is not on TGP's corksniffing list, keeps a real tube amp for live playing/daily messing around, and uses their modeller for recording. It's just how it is, outside of this silly little community.

Tybalt

Not buying your reasoning. It couldn't cost so much to make it not worth putting it in, and assuming the quality of their interface was as decent as the one put on $200 Line 6 units, it would be perfectly fine as an included interface - as with even the AxeFX II, people when in their own studio room can use their "real" interface, but it is convenient to have at least SOMETHING just incase you are not in your studio room.

Like I said, I'm probably going to buy the Amplifire, but I don't think its going to live up to the expectations anymore, when you factor in no multiple effects, no USB audio, lack of expression pedal input, and many other simple features that is mind-bogglingly left out. As soon as Line 6 makes their next HD series lineup, or even if they made the HD in a smaller pedal footprint, I'll probably sell my Amplifire to get on board with a Two Notes CAB for custom IR loading.

Shrug, dunno much about AD/DA converters and other components that go into audio interfaces but I figure there's some reason why they can be so expensive. I mean I get that it's convenient and streamlined to have everything consolidated - ****, I wish it were too. However, it seems more like you're pissed because you can't have your cake and eat it too at the mind-bogglingly low price of $599 (provided the Amplifier really is at the level of the Axe-FX in terms of modeling).

And it took the Axe-FX II to finally include a usb audio out. Neither the Standard nor the Ultra had one.

yurka723

You sound like the marketing expert here. Please share your marketing research sources. Why do you have Atomic/Studio Devil's entire marketing plan figured out and we dont?

Evo5150

What are we on, like page 3 or 4 of bitching about the lack of USB audio? LOL

Do I wish it had it? Yeah, it'd be cool. Am I crying over it? No.

Jesus guys. Get over it, work a few extra shifts at McDonalds, and get a $100 audio interface. Case closed. Or go buy an AxeFx II, because even though it's nearly 4 times the price, they were kind enough to include one.

I hope this thing has a built-in tuner, or else the real claws will come out.

yurka723

Jesus guys. Get over it, work a few extra shifts at McDonalds, and get a $100 audio interface. Case closed. Or go buy an AxeFx II, because even though it's nearly 4 times the price, they were kind enough to include one.

Yes, thank you. Lets focus on the important aspects.

randombastage

Gold Supporting Member
Oh Ok, I suppose that's why every studio since 1998 owning Pod's (which is essentially every studio in the world) all use them mic'd up. I gotcha.

Just about everyone I know who is not on TGP's corksniffing list, keeps a real tube amp for live playing/daily messing around, and uses their modeller for recording. It's just how it is, outside of this silly little community.

You are confusing 'everyone who plays guitar' with the people you know.... and 'studios' (where everyone does record) with everyone who plays guitar.

Look up empirical evidence and anecdotal evidence and apply the difference between the two in a logical fashion to your perception and then you will have 'got me'.

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member

At this point, even I agree that this subject has been pretty much exhausted.

On to another related topic...I believe one of the officially-sanctioned demo videos said they were launching this month. Is that still the case?

nicolasrivera

I already have an interface, I actually sold a Kemper and AxeFX II recently. Its not about cost, thats not an issue, its about it not having it at all for what they are marketing it for.

What did you find that those two products didnt delivered?

And Amplifire has never ever stated anything of what the product was going to have IIRC, some guys are already ditching it because it has not delivered any of the expectations! Only us forum members gave hopes and guesses of what it was going to have,

Im a guitar player that like great tone but dont like to over complicate things that much, so far Amplifire has more positive things then negative for me, the real test will come with its tone and if im inspired by it, if not i will sell it and maybe next person will find it mind blowing.

Dont say TGP is the worst forum, you are very active here if you find it that hard to be here then why are you still posting and making debate?:huh

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Thread Subscribers, please note:

1. Antagonizing other members or resorting to personal attacks is always the overriding violation that will draw infractions. Say what you need to say without insulting someone else. Repeatedly posting the same argument over and over and over is considering arguing.

nicolasrivera

I'm only posting to prove my point, I'm done now as when people realize they lost the argument, they are throwing personal insults about someone they don't know - You know what they say; You can't win an argument against a loser because they just bring you down to their level. I only come to TGP near NAMM time and when product news ramps up. The only thing TGP is good for is getting the first scoop on product updates.

If you look at Evo5150's posting history, he has been in just about every argument in this 38 page thread, probably because he starts them. Every post of mine minus these last ~2 pages has been absolutely positive and supportive towards the Amplifire. I'm still supportive and definitely buying one, but I feel it's important that Tom knows people are upset about some features, so HOPEFULLY he can at least attempt to rectify them in the future.

Why did I sell the AxeFX and Kemper? Pretty simple really, the Kemper is geared more towards people who want that "exact" tube amp tone, and I want a more kinda "unrealistic" tone. Also no editor (at the time) and no USB was not really fun on a $2000 device. The AxeFX II did everything, but it also did so much I didn't require that I felt bad owning a device that expensive when I only use a small set of features, and I am hoping to go back into the pedal-format and get away from the rack.

If the FX8 had amp sims, I'd easily spend $2000 on it, as thats essentially what I want. Overall, the AxeFX is amazing but I think I can do all I need with either the Amplifire or Pod HD500 + TN CAB setup. The size of the Amplifire obviously is ideal, but I'll be the first to jump when a company comes out with something better in that format if they are missing so many basic features.

I asked about what you didnt find on the kemper or AxeFX that they maketed, because i never saw a marketing add where the kemper stated having a audio interface via USB. As for the Axe FX when i bought mine i knew exactly whay its power was and all of the things it had and ofcoiuse then i knew exactly what where the things that i kew i will never use or explore just because i like to spend more time playing, it was all about amp modeling and in that regards is the best right now IMO.

We are more guilty of our own dissapointments regarding a product then anyone else, we expect many things, its better to lower the expectations to the bare minimun and then enjoy the extras.

This is the first version of this unit maybe we all expct it to be perfect from day one, imagine if it was so, if it delievered everything we ever wanted, we will get bored with it in no time and the company will have nothing to offere as an upgraded next version.... Same thing with the FX8, the good thing with fractal its the company has no parallel to its comitment to the customer and the continue free development of their porducts something that at least in this thread seems to be tha case of Atomic Amplifire0s future.

I'm extremly happy with my torpedo CAB buy i have a lot of things that i want to see upgraded in the next version of the unit non the less it gives me joys every single day, i use that unit more then i use the Axe FX!.

Evo5150

How do you mike up a POD? There's no power amp or speaker.

Kidding aside, it's simply impossible to support your metric, or disprove it, since no one's done a study of the specifics of POD usage worldwide in studios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evo5150

At this point, even I agree that this subject has been pretty much exhausted.

On to another related topic...I believe one of the officially-sanctioned demo videos said they were launching this month. Is that still the case?

I thought they said February. I'm getting one, but I'm not sure how long it'll take. I'm not on a list. I was an early adopter for a couple things, and I'm not doing that again, no matter how good the clips are.

yurka723

If you own a Pod, Kemper, AxeFX, etc.. chances are you are recording. There is a myth that modellers sound like **** live, and every soundman groans when he sees anyone come on stage with any modeller, including the AxeFX. I don't believe it obviously, but there must be a reason why most of the guitar playing community feels that way?? It was only recently that people discovered "FRFR" type setups to run live, and have their modellers actually sound like they should! The majority of people who buy this type of gear, are using them for recording purposes, its pretty much a fact.

Micing a modeler? Im not sure you know how this works. A modeler can be plugged straight into an interface.

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member
I thought they said February. I'm getting one, but I'm not sure how long it'll take. I'm not on a list. I was an early adopter for a couple things, and I'm not doing that again, no matter how good the clips are.

I'm not either. Since this won't be in many traditional sales channels, I can wait until a consensus between actual users has formed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom