Atomic Amplifire Effects

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by cacibi, Apr 10, 2015.

1. cacibi

cacibi Member

I haven't read much about the quality of the effects in the Atomic Amplifire. I've read a lot of great reviews about the amp/cab models but - seriously little about the effects.

2. crazyForce

crazyForce Member

In the morning shadow of the Bear River Mountains
    I don't have particularly refined tastes in effects, and when I use them, it is to noticeably effect the signal; I'm not really using them for subtle enhancements. So considering this, the voicing of the reverbs don't quite match my preference, but I think they aren't bad. The reverb seems to have an upper midrange emphasis that kinda leaves out the warmth for me. They have as much tweakability as I need, but, I'm not a frequent effects user. I have messed with the delays only a little. In those few moments, it seems like the delay was buried until it was almost too loud. Then again, I'll probably hear it differently the next time I go play wth the delay. Again, this is a hasty assessment after spending only very little time with these effects and with very little effort.

I have liked the sound of the "booster" pedal, said to be an SD-1. It seems to have a nice midrange crunch, plenty of volume, a usable voicing sweep and tightens up the looser high gain amp models.

3. partytrain

partytrain Member

I'm in love with the Soft Digital delay on the Amplifire. It is awesome. I've got it set at varying degrees on every patch. I've always used an always-on delay to thicken up my sound, and this one is perfect. If Atomic made a standalone Soft Digital delay pedal, I'd buy it in a heartbeat for my other board.

4. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I've read the effects are going to get some love in the next firmware upgrade. A post cab comp option and some reverb and delay enhancements...I believe.

Blix likes this.
  5. Gaetano Capuano

Gaetano Capuano Member

Basically this thing excels at amps and cabs. And the effects are really kind of utility's. I do t see anyone buying an amplifire for dx only...

6. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

Yup, I'm with Gaetano;

The Amplifire's fx (aside from chorus), are limited and unimpressive.

As mentioned, there will be firmware updates to add or improve fx.

The creators/developers have said that the Amplifire was never meant to be an all in one solution, or even a multifx-- it was meant to replace your amp, and excel at that.

So is the Amplifire "Better" than the HD? I think the amp tones (limited though they are) are better, because loadable IRs allow for powerful and FAST tone tweaking. Yet the HD is "Better" with regard to fx, because they are greater in number and in quality.

Both units deliver outstanding sounds, and allow you to CREATE music; whichever inspires you and meets your needs will be the best.

I am using the Amplifire only for amp tones, and building a pedalboard with my favorite verbs and delays.....because that sounds/works best for me.

7. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Nailed it, IMO

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  8. Atomic Amps

Atomic Amps Member

This must have been a misunderstanding because AmpliFIRE is a cabable multi-effects processor and is being used as an all in one solution by many players already.

AmpliFIRE also works great as the centerpiece of a pedal board rig but it's the individual who decides what, if anything, needs to be added to make it a "complete" solution. I know quite a few people who use external effects with large and clunky multi-effects processors that have a longer list of effects. Some players are just either attached to and/or very particular regarding certain pet pedals - and that's perfectly cool.

When we first started developing the product we considered making "just" an amp modeler with cabs and perhaps reverb and delay. Now AmpliFIRE is also equip with Overdrives, modulation effects, delays, reverbs, compressors, wah, eqs, a gate, etc.

The effects and amp cache in AmpliFIRE will grow and evolve. The quality will continue to be top notch. Our first official update will be released in the coming days and will add new effects, features and include a major update to the editor communication protocol. This is just the beginning.

-TK

Viabcroce, Ozan, BCy2k and 2 others like this.
  9. crazyForce

crazyForce Member

In the morning shadow of the Bear River Mountains
    Yay!

10. randombastage

randombastage Member

Sweet! By "coming days" are you talking in terms of less than a week?

11. mac jones

mac jones Member

Count on two weeks.

Delay is a fact of life. Like taxes

Which reminds me....:(

12. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

I'd say the effects that are there are perfectly useable. Most of the usual stuff is included, but things like mod effects come in 1 'flavor' each so far. If you're looking for 6 different types of chorus, well, there's just one. But it is decent. As always, tastes will differ on which fx are stronger or weaker, but none of the bread & butter stuff that's there sounds bad to me.

Said the guy who also has an H9 in his AF loop :p

Seriously, the fx in the AF + the H9 compliment each other far better than I imagined they would.

13. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

The effects all sound pretty darn good to me. But obviously if there's something you want not included or need an additional effect simultaneously you need to suplement.

14. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Can you tell us what has changed with the effects over the past 1.5 years from this post? Not trying to be smart, just wondering how things have evolved. Thanks

15. StudioDevil

StudioDevil Member

Yeah, sure I can answer that...

The Chorus, Flanger, Tremolo, and Phaser are now so detailed that you can dial in just about any sound you need. We've looked at several types, and if you look at the impressive parameter list in these effect, you'll see that we have you covered. WAVE select, DUTY CYCLE, WIDTH, MIX LEVELS, so much good stuff. Like THROUGH-ZERO FLANGER! Yep, that's in there...and CHORUS PREDELAY! TREMOLO can do optical trems with ease using the duty cycle parameter with SINE WAVE mode. The effects in AmpliFire are top notch and can do almost anything you need, and then some!

The Echo got a serious overhaul during the summer. It is now an amazing delay modeler with bucket brigade mode, bit crusher, flutter tape speed control, saturation, and so much more including filters, analog modes, tape modes, etc...plus, it is now actually FOUR DELAYS AT ONCE, and these can be configured as 4 in parallel, in series, or in a 4-tap setup...we also have diffusion, ducking...I mean, it's a super echo...more of you should dig into it and you'll be amazed at what it does.

The compressor is now a killer studio compressor with a pedal mode too...it's designed around the pioneering work from dbx and others, featuring a log-domain compressor with continuously variable KNEE, adjustable from snap on to infinitely smooth.

The GATE is NOT A GATE ANYMORE!!! Yay!!! It is now a downward expander noise suppression system comparable to some of the best out there...so your note decays can, well, decay...and the amount of noise reduction is variable too so you can set the tradeoff of noise to dynamics just the way you like it.

BOOST? Well, we added a CLEAN BOOST mode, and adjusted the modes so that the levels all match.

The EFFECTS have been made independent blocks so now you can run them all at once...so if you want tremolo AND chorus, you can...that wasn't an option earlier this year.

So, yeah...there's a lot in there. And you will find the "quality" of the effects is right up there with any rack unit...trust me, chorus, flanger, tremolo, and phaser implementations are pretty standard these days...and we've got them done right. Also, the echo is incredibly flexible...you will get the echo tone you need...it's there.

We worked hard on these, and to hear they are not "quality" effects is absurd to me...but if you can explain exactly what is missing from them, we will add it. But I'll wager it's already there and you just need us to show you where it is...for a simple unit, AmpliFire has gotten quite complex this year :)

16. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

WOW, thank you so much. I'm on the AF12 list and can't wait! Would love to see some ambient stuff like particle verb, auto volume swell, and shimmer.

17. paulfrench

paulfrench Member

Marc, is the clean boost an upcoming addition?

18. Kasdaddy

Kasdaddy Member

I'm about to replace my sy300 with an AF, as soon as I can find a replacement auto volume swell

19. boogiejem

boogiejem Member

I agree that the effects are really good on the AF. I have an H9 in the AF loop only to add pitch/shimmer effects and if these were included in a future AF update I'd ditch the H9 in a heartbeat.

Madmax25 and JCW308 like this.
  20. mojah

mojah Member

See there's a ton of parameters but is there a matrix that can reference FX parameters to FX we know? I
    e mxr phase 90 phase 100 eh small stone or the different chorus's. Nothing more of a buzz kill than scrolling though countless parameters with no real world references.