Atomic Amplifire in 4CM

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Detroit ABA, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Detroit ABA

Detroit ABA Member

I have an Atomic Amplifire pedal arriving this week. In addition to test driving the amp modeling, I want to try to use it in 4CM with my EVH 5150 III 50 watt as an effects only processor. I am also going to try using the preamp out of the EVH 5150 III with the power amp only models, cab sims, & effects.

Any current owners see any limitations or challenges I may run into in these scenarios? I am a midi noob so I am wondering if I can use the Amplifire to switch channels on the EVH 5150 III given it has MIDI as well?

Guitarnemesis likes this.
  2. randombastage

randombastage Member

It sounds like you would be sending your 5150 preamp into the AmpliFire return where it will pick up amplifier power amp simulation and then on to the 5150 return where it will get additional power amp coloration...

This isn't necessarily bad but could be. I have had great results with running the AmpliFire with power amp on and speaker cab off into a Randall tube power amp on to a 4x12 cab and I was happily surprised at how it didn't create any problems with the sound but I was thinking if I was playing it loud...as in the power amp contributing any gain to the sound... it might start getting weird, distorted, etc.

But Im just making assumptions, I don't have any solid foundation to base that on other than sometimes other devices power amp sims into a real power amp do get a weird rumbly kind of unpleasant drive going on.

I think you will like what you get overall. I had the Amplifier in 4 cable with my pedal board...using the amplifier as the total amp...some pedals in front...other pedals in Amplifires loop... and it was very good both using the AmpliFire cab sims into FRFR monitors as we all as with AmpliFire's cab sim off and into the tube power amp and 4x12 cab

3. Guitarnemesis

Guitarnemesis Member

So it looks like im only 2 years late but did you have any luck with this setup? I have an EVH 5150 50 as well and was thinking about trying the same thing.