Atomic AmpliFIRE Pedal LIve! Nick Sterling "Feel Like Makin' Love" solo!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by rocketboss, Mar 15, 2015.

1. rocketboss

rocketboss Supporting Member

Hello everyone,

I've now done two gigs with the AmpliFIRE Pedal and I'm totally digging' it!

Simple setup, Aux out mono to the FOH and main output to an old MosValve 962 power amp pushing my '68 Marshall Basketweave loaded with Celestion G12M Creambacks.

The pedal is just working out killer for me, couldn't be happier! Love the tones, the feel and the simplicity!

More clips to come!

2. CharlieFoxtrot

CharlieFoxtrot Member

Nice! So any idea if the camera mic is picking up the sound from the cab on stage, FOH, or both? It sounds great regardless! :phones

3. Electric I

Electric I Member

Great playing & tone, Nick.

What are you using to amplify AmpliFire ?

4. dmock66

dmock66 Member

Outstanding Nick! You're other video was such a huge seller for me regarding the AmpliFIRE! Thanks for posting these.

5. rocketboss

If you notice as I move about in front of the 4x12 there's really no noticeable drop out, our stage volume was very low.

This venue has some large EV 15 inch side washes flying directly above the mains. They're basically pointed toward the drum throne. I think the camera is mainly picking up those, the monitor mix. They sounded great, totally satisfying!

6. rocketboss

MosValve 962 and the Marshall 4x12!

7. Electric I

Electric I Member

Solid state power amp, no less. Cool.

8. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

Nice tones and playin rocketboss!

Cool to know I have almost the same live setup -- also a tubeworks MV962, then into a Fuchs 2x12 with Weber legacies M75 and H75.

I've been struggling getting good marshally tones thru the power amp and cab... would you mind sharing some tips? Like, are you messing with the amp damping? or any EQ tweaks? Thanks.

9. jmtaylor22

jmtaylor22 Member

I've been using IR's even through a cab. I like the sound better even though it is *wrong*.

10. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

I hadn't actually thought of trying that (coz it is 'wrong' just as you say)
    First thing i did was disable the cab on the presets Lol.

11. mattball826

mattball826 Member

sounds cool. nice raw amp sound vs layers of fx.

12. Crow

Crow Supporting Member

Great video! Speaking of the Mosvalve - how does it sound? I've heard it can be ideal with modelers as it adds some tube feel but not too much so that you can leave the power tube emulation on.

13. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I'd like to try it through my Quilter toneblock 200. I would think it would sound similar to the mosvalve

14. kyoungsteadt

kyoungsteadt Member

15. Electric I

Electric I Member

The Tone Block is on my radar & I bet it would be a great match for AmpliFire. How do you like the TB200 ?

16. rocketboss

Hey,

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the positive comments, very much appreciated!

In regards to the MosValve, I'm surprised how good it sounds!

I thought AmpliFIRE sounded great when I first got it and ran it through my console. Which made me curious about how it would work with an amp, pushing a cab.
    I own a couple of the ART SLA?? power amps that I would of liked to try, but they're currently being used in P.A. racks for bands that I’m gigging in. So, I had to dig up the MosValve. I haven't used it in a very long time and it's a really old one, actually only channel A is currently working.

When I first tried it, AmpliFIRE- MosValve- 4X12 I new I could use it live. It gave me what I needed to get that plexi tone!

My Plexi preset is nothing special. I'd offer the patch, but don't know when I'd get around to doing that, so in a nut shell...

The Amp- I run the gain on 9, bass on 1, mids on 10, always crank the mids!!! Treble on 10, presence on 6.5, amp master on 10 and amp level at 3.0 db.
    This is typically how I'd set a real plexi. They're all different, but this is usually close to where I'd end up.

The Cab- Emulation out the Aux output only to FOH. I'm currently using the matched cab, which Tom mentioned is some form of Ownhammer Ir.
    I tweaked the cab a little, cab rolloff to 15.7khz and cut the cab bottom a hair to -0.5 db.

My basketweave is a little dark, which I assume is common due to the heavy, dense, old grill cloth. Also, I usually set my amps up a little bright and use the guitars volume and tone controls constantly. I'd rather have a bright tone I can tweak, than have not enough to be able to cut.

Pre EQ- I got this trick from Mr. Mitchell here on the forum. Thank you very much! This is key.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=19604681&postcount=264

This really enabled me to get that classic, edge of break up, punchy, percussive, dry Marshall mids happening that we all love. It gave the ability to turn up the amp level, which really brings on the bold plexi tones! Not to much gain, just bold and punchy. I assume the actual amp that was modeled did not have the bright cap snipped, which kept it loud and proud, not to gainy.

I did also set the Pre EQ low-cut to 110Hz, which I always use on any instruments when mixing, to cut any unwanted farty flub.

This is my base patch, which I just copy and paste to the next three slots. So I end up with, Foot switch #1 Red, Straight Plexi, with a little spring reverb. #2 Amber, Boosted Plexi, boost and verb (I used the Overdrive with the gain set at 26% and tone set at about 30%, boost level up 1.5 db).
    Foot switch #2 Red, Plexi Lead- verb, boost (level up 2.5 db), tape echo and #4 Amber, is the same as #3 with more repeats and the delay volume up a little. I use the 3rd foot-switch for tap tempo! I plan to add an expression pedal soon for the delay.

So, I hope this makes some kind of sense. Hopefully it will help someone with their tweaking. I just don’t have the time to get on here much anymore, but I’m totally diggin’ the red pedal and look forward to exploring it as it continues to grow!

Should have some more live clips up soon!

Nick

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  17. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I love it. It's a great sounding amp, and takes pedals better than any amp I've ever used. It's small, light and I never run it past 10-12 watts, it goes up to 200

18. CharlieFoxtrot

CharlieFoxtrot Member

Thanks Nick! Your settings make a huge difference for me to see how to set up a good sounding Plexi. I was fairly close on a lot of settings and I was already using Jay's Pre EQ settings, but your preEq LowCut setting and Amp Level made things come alive. I think I am going to start building all of my patches with the Amp Level set at 0dB and then either turn it up or down depending on the dynamics. I don't think I was giving my previous settings enough headroom.

19. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Good stuff Nick - killer work on all the clips and videos I've seen. Love to see you post stuf and always dig checking it. Just great stuff!!!

20. dmock66

dmock66 Member

Thanks Nick! Very grateful for the settings! Can't wait to try them out!!!