Atomic Clr Neo Mk Ii

burningyen

The neo-based versions are much lighter than the earlier standard-magnet versions, but they could be lighter if they'd ditch the 3/4" birch ply and move to a lighter weight and thinner plywood with internal bracing.
FYI:

Far_and_Near_Log_IR.jpg

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/28548247/

ETA: When I originally posted this it linked to a rebuttal Jay posted re the CLR's construction. Oh well.

Last edited:

dspellman

Thanks (and to Jay). I have, indeed, not been inside a CLR. No one who owns one was really anxious for me to take theirs apart. I was told (during a phone call to AtomicAmps) that the material was 3/4" birch ply.

In his best Emily LaTella voice, "Oh. That's different. Nevermind."

While we're on the subject, has anyone had theirs apart who would be willing to share photos? Now I'm really curious.

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
I just got a notice the other day from Atomic that it’s my turn to buy a CLR. I have no recollection of when I might’ve signed up but I think it might be years. I had an AX8 from 2017 to very early 2018.

J D Miley

Silver Supporting Member
OK ! Just got my CLR Neo today , Played on it for about an hour with My Kemper . Love it ! Plenty of power and girth for my needs. I might even get another one ! This is the one to get i my Book. I have tried the Friedman ASM 12 , Xitone, and Mission. Though the Friedman sounds really good, the CLR is much smaller and lighter to carry. . . and does the more flat, un-colored sound that I need anyway. I am glad I finally got the CLR and this is now the one of my choice for sure.

jkstraw

OK ! Just got my CLR Neo today , Played on it for about an hour with My Kemper . Love it ! Plenty of power and girth for my needs. I might even get another one ! This is the one to get i my Book. I have tried the Friedman ASM 12 , Xitone, and Mission. Though the Friedman sounds really good, the CLR is much smaller and lighter to carry. . . and does the more flat, un-colored sound that I need anyway. I am glad I finally got the CLR and this is now the one of my choice for sure.

I am trying to decide between the CLR Neo and the Mission Gemini 2 - not too worried about weight, but do want to run more than just guitar through it. Mind if I ask what were your impressions of the Mission cab were compared to the CLR?

chrisdodge

The directivity parameter is there to change the response of the speaker (the sound) to simulate the position you would have with a guitar speaker. the manual says : "
The KEMPER Kone features a larger high-frequency dispersion than many traditional guitar speakers. This means
that a real guitar speaker will sound duller than the KEMPER Kone when you position your ears away from the
middle axis of the speaker. To compensate for this, you might like to adjust the color of the KEMPER Kone towards
a “creamier” sound by lowering the Directivity parameter. A nice side-effect is that the on-axis sound will also lose
some of the harshness associated with traditional guitar speakers. At Directivity set to maximum, the on-axis sound
is identical to the original."

It is not "altering the directivity of a kone" at all.

The Kone has a wider 'consistant' sound across the positon you have (on axis or off axis) that guitar speaker don't have. So, if you prefere the sound you percive on axis or off axis of your favortie guitar speaker, adapt the directivity parameter to get this sound. And you will get this sound whatever you are with the Kone

Viabcroce

Well, in this context directivity relates to a speaker's diffusion pattern, which describes how the harmonic content of a signal varies function of the solid degree you move away by from the main axis.
Different speakers (may) exhibit different diffusion patterns, hence different directivity.
Maybe a jargon, but coherent IME.

Truith

I've done a ton of research and the top dogs are
1. Atomic CLR
2. Xitone & EV PXM-12MP

Just lookin for people's opinions....which one is the most FRFR (flat) I'm guessing its the CLR followed closely by the other 2...I most probably going to wait for a CLR but I'd love to hear what you guys think/have experienced.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
I've done a ton of research and the top dogs are
1. Atomic CLR
2. Xitone & EV PXM-12MP

Just lookin for people's opinions....which one is the most FRFR (flat) I'm guessing its the CLR followed closely by the other 2...I most probably going to wait for a CLR but I'd love to hear what you guys think/have experienced.

CLR is flat. EV is not. I don't think the Xitone is in the running.

J D Miley

Silver Supporting Member
The one bad thing about the Atomic CLR Neo. It is never in stock . No telling what will happen if you need to have one repaired .

jgmartin

I would add the red sound elis.8 and mf10 to your list of considerations. I’ve used many of the ‘end of chain’ options for various modelers and am currently trying out a pair of the elis.8s. They’re fantastic. Very compact and light but more ‘amp in the room’, in terms of the feel than other FRFR solutions I’ve tried. That’s not to say it isn’t flat… presets I make on my studio monitors sound very much the same, just a lot more ballsy with the stereo elis.8 setup. This isn’t true of most I’ve tried. It’s the first FRFR solution so far that I’ve considered keeping.

Ymmv, but I’d give a set a shot if you can find them.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
I would add the red sound elis.8 and mf10 to your list of considerations. I’ve used many of the ‘end of chain’ options for various modelers and am currently trying out a pair of the elis.8s. They’re fantastic. Very compact and light but more ‘amp in the room’, in terms of the feel than other FRFR solutions I’ve tried. That’s not to say it isn’t flat… presets I make on my studio monitors sound very much the same, just a lot more ballsy with the stereo elis.8 setup. This isn’t true of most I’ve tried. It’s the first FRFR solution so far that I’ve considered keeping.

Ymmv, but I’d give a set a shot if you can find them.
I was just watching a video on the MF10...any idea if they can be purchased in the US? I didn't see United States in the country list on the store page...just wondering

Trending Topics

Top Bottom