Atomic CLR Neo vs. Xitone Active Wedge

tfunster

Gold Supporting Member
Hi all,
I'm looking for a FRFR active speaker for my AX8. I'm intending on using it like an actual amp, where it will most of the time sit behind me, so sound dispersal, or the ability fill a room is important as I oftentimes play unmiked.

I know about the CLR's reputation, but it's pretty damn expensive. The Xitone only weighs about 38 pounds (I need to keep it pretty light), and is quite a bit cheaper than the CLR Neo.
Has anyone played both?

bluesdoc

Gold Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
I've had both, still have the CLR (neo). They're both terrific. I found the CLR to be a bit brighter or more 'present', which my old trashed ears appreciated. The Xitone could probably sound brighter with modeler EQ, but it's probably perfect for some.

jon

Deuterium

Hi all,
I'm looking for a FRFR active speaker for my AX8. I'm intending on using it like an actual amp, where it will most of the time sit behind me, so sound dispersal, or the ability fill a room is important as I oftentimes play unmiked.

I know about the CLR's reputation, but it's pretty damn expensive. The Xitone only weighs about 38 pounds (I need to keep it pretty light), and is quite a bit cheaper than the CLR Neo.
Has anyone played both?
Yes, played both.

Can't speak for the active wedge...but I own the XiTone 1x12 passive wedge, and couldn't be happier. Sounds friggin' amazing, and is built like an M1 Abrams tank.

Here is a my post on a similar topic from a few days ago. Mind you, this is obviously my own personal opinion and preference:

Agreed! Anyone who doesn't at least give the XiTone coaxial-based FRFR solution a serious consideration, is missing a fantastic alternative.

I had narrowed down the field to the XiTone and the CLR, because I was not crazy with 2-way component style FRFR monitors. I didn't care for the directionality, and the off-axis "beaming" of the HF driver, which apparently I am sensitive to. This is eliminated in a coaxial arrangement.

I had a friend who had a CLR, and I was able to try it. It is an excellent monitor. However, there were a few reasons that eventually caused me to eliminate the CLR from consideration...reasons i will not go into on this forum.

Having heard excellent testimonials on the XiTone products, I decided to give this company a shot.

It turns out that I actually preferred the slightly more "guitar-cabinet" tonality of the XiTone. I am not saying one is qualitatively better than the other. It all comes down to preference and your own ear. I prefer the XiTone because it leans slightly more towards the "feel" and tone of a traditional guitar cabinet (while still remaining a Full Range monitor),...versus leaning the other way towards a more clinical, "hi-fi" sound. I also am of the opinion that the over-all construction (especially the external protective coating) of the XiTone wedge promotes it to best in class.

Link here:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...king-of-the-frfr.1685153/page-3#post-21622714

Cheers,
John

Last edited:

tfunster

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the info bluesdoc and deuterium. Can the Xitone get loud enough as a "back line" amp and get over a loud drummer and fill a club?
I was going to go for the CLR Neo, but I've been reading about reliability issues with them and am reconsidering the Xitone.

chrisjnyc

Check with Mick at Xitone, he can make you a lightweight 10" active cab. He is making one for me now. It uses the Matrix GM 50 amp so you know its loud enough

Trending Topics