Atomic on the way out?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Slapshot1977, Jul 14, 2017.

1. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

On a related note; I feel bad as someone inadvertently bumped a "Happy Holidays Firmware Update" thread on the Atomic forum from last winter and now it's at the top of the recent posts lists :facepalm Poor guys:D

2. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

I have moved on from my AA3 to a Helix, but when I first got my AA3 back in April 2016 had a brick issue and had the same horrible email support experience as others claimed that I thought was just an exaggeration. It took way more effort than it should have to get Atomic to respond, but once TK did personally, he was able to solve my issue and was actually great to talk to. It was blamed on my email, but I am well versed in computers so that was unlikely.

I was very involved in the Atomic threads here and Atomic' own Forum (once it actually got going) and the support issues are not an exaggeration.

They are also not even involved on their own company forum, which is odd, since there is sub forum on reporting bugs, etc.

There are some threads over there commenting on their absence.

The Line6 support has been a breath of fresh air.

TimeSnow and JiveTurkey like this.
  3. Lele

Lele Member

Well, this thread title is maybe a little unfair. Anyway, in Europe, the competition that Amplifire has to face is really hard to beat.
    At present, the prices in Euro are about:
    Amplifire AA3: 600 Euro (the cheapest seller being Andertons Music from UK)
    Amplifire AA12: 780 Euro
    Helix LT: 820 Euro
    (taxes included)
    Some time ago I was wondering if Amplifire could be good for me; I know that the tones are great, but the difficulty to tweak (during rehearsals or even live) was a big concern. In view of the current prices my choice was much easier.

4. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

I wanted the AA12 because of its compact format, but at almost the same price I got the Helix LT instead. I guess I'm not the only one...

MaxTwang, JiveTurkey and JerEvil like this.
  5. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Nope.

I almost grabbed the AA12 as well and really considered the HR for a hot second then BAM... LT was released.

MaxTwang and JiveTurkey like this.
  6. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

There is no comparison at that pricepoint.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  7. Greatdane

Greatdane Member

Must admit I've been thinking a bit along the same lines.
    Have wanted the AA12 for a long time to replace my AA3+Midi Mate.

Love the thing and have all my sounds down - only thing that keeps me from jumping on the new Helix right now. But the prices are similar, the Helix have the some advantages so ....

8. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

I replaced an AA3 and a small midi controller (and a few pedals) with the Helix, and was initially afraid of the changeover, but the thing is you will find many great Helix patches already created if you search a bit - Not as bad of a transition as I originally thought. Second thing is the routing and customization goes WAY BEYOND what the AA12 can do with its footswitches. Unfortunately hard to explain until you actually use it and start realizing what the Helix can do, but you will quickly find out if you take the plunge.

Greatdane likes this.
  9. Greatdane

Greatdane Member

Thanks for the info. That is really what's holding me back. I'm so happy with my AA3 patches. I have excately what I need. With the Helix it's starting all over but sound less frightening as you explain it.

10. lauwing

lauwing Member

If Line6 releases a M9 size Helix, I will definitely switch

11. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

If you're happy with the sounds you have from the AA3 and its not leaving you wanting...I'd definitely be hesitant to switch. I think @Imerkat is having some trouble replicating some of his Atomic sounds in Helix (might be totally wrong on that, so forgive if the tag was unwarranted). While I don't doubt that you could dial in a Helix to match most anything you could produce with an Atomic, I don't think its necessarily an easy thing to do unless you have a lot of skill/experience and preferably access to all of the IRs you were using in Atomic land. Helix is capable of doing a whole lot more than Atomic...but if you aren't interested in doing those things and are very comfortable with the tones you've got dialed in on Atomic, you could be opening up a can of worms.

12. acroberts

acroberts Member

Tell that to Kemper users who paid 3-4x the price of an A3 for their Profiler and have been asking for an computer-based editor for years and get crickets chirping in response. Hell, a YouTube clip of crickets chirping from Mothership Kemper would be a step up. Sorry for going off-topic.

13. jpage

jpage Member

AFAIK Kemper has never had a computer based editor nor have they ever promised one. If that is a necessity, there are other options out there.

VCuomo and TimeSnow like this.
  14. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

This ^^

Being upset that a company hasn't delivered something they never said they'd deliver is a pretty entitled position.

15. jpage

jpage Member

Agree. I think a lot of the frustration we are seeing on this thread from Amplifire owners has to do with the same thing--buying something with the expectation that it will be something else. They see Fractal updating firmware and adding amps, cabs and effects on a monthly basis...the only thing you are really entitled to is the product you purchased.

KSL and JiveTurkey like this.
  16. Watt McCo

Its not that they see Fractal updating firmware, its that they see this written on the Amplifire website:
    EXPANDING ALL THE TIME

We are constantly expanding the capabilities of AmpliFire – check back often!

JiveTurkey likes this.
  17. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

^That blurb is the most troublesome thing on their entire website.

Watt McCo likes this.
  18. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

I've been using the original Helix floor for well over a year and it works well. All of the new features and improvements along with my being better at tweaking has paid off in spades. I decided I wanted a more compact easy to use backup rig. I finally sold off my fairly large traditional pedalboard since I was carrying it around as a backup and rarely used it. I considered a few options from the Tech 21 Fly rigs up to the Helix LT. I was hoping for something with an XLR that could plug in and go to FOH if a situation came up where I needed a quick backup.

I came across an Amplifire 12 on sale and snagged it. Wow ! I really am impressed - it sounds great and is much smaller than I expected. Don't get me wrong, I'm still enamored with my Helix, but the AA12 is 100% up to the task. The onboard interface is a little work, but the PC editor is a breeze. I had no problem setting up four banks that I can use at the drop of a hat.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Imerkat likes this.
  19. Watt McCo

I wouldn't even mind it if it read "check back annually!"

JiveTurkey likes this.
  20. jpage

jpage Member

Have they never expanded/updated?