Atomic Space Tone in the house!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GAT, Aug 17, 2005.

1. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

How can an amp sound so good, at any volume, any setting, with no effort?

Now I know why everytime I talk to Stu at Fat Sound, he is so giddy about this amp. The Swart sounds so good, so familiar, yet unique that it just makes you want to play all night. Not too loud, extremely full and ballsy, great cleans and great lead tones, super reverb and very hypnotic tremolo.

Kind of Tweed/old Marshall tones, articulate, lots of highs, mids and lows, NOT ice picky, even with a Tele. Brent Mason meets Ian Moore tones. Reverb is different, more of a hall type, ducks well so fast picking never gets muddy, but when you stop there is a rich hall sound. So may love it, others will turn it off. I love it.

I actually want to keep this in the house not in the studio. This is the perfect amp to just sit and play, though it is too loud to be a quiet bedroom amp, unless you have a rockin' partner!

I've been offered to buy my old Deluxe Reverb, now I have no reason to keep it, except for investment purposes. I would imagine that two of these in stereo would make an incredible live rig for everyone except metal heads. Those of you who know me know that I have several cool amps but this is the sh*t! You do not need pedals, plenty of natural, singing, articulate gain. My Johnny A. sounds great through this amp as do Strats, Tele, Pauls and P-90 guitars. Most of you will love this amp. I'll be the first in line when Swarts make a Nuclear Sapce Tone 40 watter!:dude :dude

2. Stephen J

Stephen J Member

GAT- These glowing reviews of the AST are killing me. I expect mine in the not too distant future. Please post any further observations as you spend some time with it- it kind of keeps me going. Thanks Steve

3. lv

lv Supporting Member

I had the exact feelings - perfect "house" amp.

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

It would also make a great studio amp. I just don't want to think of it as one of my live rig amps, I just play a bit too loud. I just can't believe how full it is. Aside from volume, it really does sound bigger. It doesn't "feel" like a small amp. You can definately gig with it in smaller venues, jams, etc., don't even bring a pedal board.:D

5. Stu/Fat Sound

Stu/Fat Sound Member

Dang G........you actually seem to like it as much as I do!
    Excellent!
    Now....where to I send that check......?;)

Stephen J.......I believe yours is coming in the next batch.....hang in there....I'll be geting one to you as soon as possible!

6. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Supporting Member

These amps have me very interested. . .I'd like to hear about the little 5 watt Space Tone. Anyone have some experience with one of those?

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

You guys are getting me interested. How would the AST compare in volume to a BFDR? (For reference, my DR has a Weber 12F150, so is louder, much better sounding than the stock setup.)

Just from reading about it, I'd really like to hear this amp with a 15-inch speaker.

8. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

I've been curious about those amps as well. Glad to hear the excitement. They look almost identical to my old Supro.

9. Stu/Fat Sound

Stu/Fat Sound Member

Michael Swart is a big fan of the look of the old Supro amps and they definitely had a big influence on the design/look of the amplifier.

10. mad dog

From the clips, I'm hearing a touch of old Gibson. I'd like to try an AST in person and see if that's true. Does anybody stock these in the Northeast?

11. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

I love the way they look and think MS did a great job. I can't wait to try one out. It sounds right up my alley.

[​IMG]

Here's why I love the way they look...here's a pic of my Supro (grime and all)..

[​IMG]

12. mad dog

Argo:

That Supro is beautiful! How's it sound? I have a '59 Supro "60" guitar w/lap steel pickup I'd like to hear through your amp.

13. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

Thanks MD!

I absolutely love this amp! It's a 6V6 single-ended design w/ 5Y3 rectifier, volume and tone. I kind of sounds like a cross between a tweed Champ and a BF Champ. More on the tweed side. Nice and clean until 3 or 4 (depending on guitar and pups) then starts to break up and overdrive beyond that. The overdrive is super sweet. The more you turn it up, the more it compresses and sings. I had a clip somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up. It responds well to pedals, too.

J

Sorry for the hijack GAT...

14. Redrum

Redrum Member

I've been the proud owner of a Swart Atomic Space Tone for about a year now and just can't say enough about them. Just last night I had a Strat plugged into it, no pedals, and the other musicians I was playing with were commenting on the the swirl and movement that the amp was producing. They asked me to switch the tremolo off for a minute to hear the difference. The tremolo was off. When I stepped on the footswitch to engage that beautiful tube-driven tremolo the AST has nobody could believe it. I'm not saying that it always sounds like the tremolo is on, it's just that this amp feels and sounds so alive, so corpulant and juicy......

I'm a believer.