attaching a drum machine to a pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zwolf, Feb 28, 2012.

1. zwolf

zwolf Member

I'm toying with the idea of mounting my elektron machinedrum to my pedaltrain pro, reason being that I have extra space and am tired of lugging around the MD in its case plus the stand that I put it on for live performance. I don't need access to its knobs and parameters during the show, so pedalboard placement would be fine in that respect.

the catch is that I take it home with me all the time for programming and certainly don't want to bring the whole pedalboard. So I'm leery of mounting it with velcro; all that flat surface area (7x13) would make it really a PITA to take off/put back on constantly.

Can anyone think of any ingenious mounting ideas outside of velcro that would make it easy to remove frequently? The underside of the MD is just a big flat metal surface. It currently has rubber feet, but I figure I'll probably have to remove them.

2. tibbon

tibbon Member

Cable ties are cheap. Just use two each time.

And/or use a little less velcro plus a single cable tie. You could always machine some little brackets to use with your board, since the MD has attachments on the side for use in a 19" rack (which almost no one does), but you could use the same holes to make it so you could drop your MD in easily and attach with a thumb screw.

I just got my MD back from repair, and I can't wait to use it again.

3. rayza

rayza Member

Just put a few small Squares of velcro on it, just enough to stop it moving around? Surely you dont need to cover it.

4. zwolf

zwolf Member

thanks for the suggestions! True, I don't need to cover the whole back with velcro. that would make it impossible to remove. But I kinda would prefer to not use velcro at all...

Tibbon - I think you might be onto something with the rack holes and making brackets! I'm not capable of any high tech machining, but it could be pretty simple. good idea!

5. empressTIM

empressTIM Member

What about magnets? You should be able to find something thin enough to remove yet strong enough to hold the MD in place...

6. zwolf

zwolf Member

Cool idea! I'd want to make sure they held it really well, but I'm betting my hardware store has some heavy duty ones. Heading there now.

7. zwolf

zwolf Member

And this is exactly what I did. Rock solid. Thank you for the inspiration, Mr. Tibbon!