Attack in your sound: Guitar Vs Amp

He_Ma

So I had a chance to try out really nice Fano GF6 with Lollar imperials yesterday and I played it through Supro 1622RT Tremo-Verb. I really liked how the combination sounded and attack even in the neck position was somehow quite sharp in a really good way and it had some single coil style snap in there.

So my question is that does your guitar or the amp affect your attack more? And yes I know that there are lots of different variants to be considered besides just guitar and amp, but in this thread I'd like to consider these two only.

dazco

I get a world of difference depending on the guitar and pickups all with the same amp. So it's in large part the guitar/pickups. I generally test attack by playing fast alternate picking high up the neck. That really showcases how articulate a guitar/pickups are or aren't. When it's articulate i love that sound, makes it so much easier to play so i think I know what u r looking for. And the variance between all my guitars is very wide with the same amp and settings.

He_Ma

Amp? Guitar?? It is the position of my hand, how I hold the pick and how I strike the string.
Let's assume that the way I hold my pick and strike the string didn't change when I stepped to that guitarstore;) Anyone with opinions about this matter?

lemonpaul59

So I had a chance to try out really nice Fano GF6 with Lollar imperials yesterday and I played it through Supro 1622RT Tremo-Verb. I really liked how the combination sounded and attack even in the neck position was somehow quite sharp in a really good way and it had some single coil style snap in there.

So my question is that does your guitar or the amp affect your attack more? And yes I know that there are lots of different variants to be considered besides just guitar and amp, but in this thread I'd like to consider these two only.
Check out Robben Ford's "Talk to Your Daughter". I have to think it is his fingers and his Dumble.

icr

So the attack is the same for you no matter what gear you're using?
I alter my attack drastically depending on the equipment. For example this combo demands a delicate touch. Get it wrong and it sounds like trash.

Whereas this combination (L-7E and EH-125) requires a little bit of a wallop to get it to make noise.

Last edited:

Artjr

Silver Supporting Member
When you say attack , I think of a LP And Marshall. Or the type of music you're playing.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I get a world of difference depending on the guitar and pickups all with the same amp. So it's in large part the guitar/pickups. I generally test attack by playing fast alternate picking high up the neck.
You can hear attack change just by going to fresh strings.
Pickup type/character matters. SCs have more snap.
I check it by playing low notes, I want the boing to happen.

He_Ma

I alter my attack drastically depending on the equipment. For example this combo demands a delicate touch. Get it wrong and it sounds like trash.

Whereas this combination (L-7E and EH-125) requires a little bit of a wallop to get it to make noise.
What a tone and nice playing in that second clip!

I get a world of difference depending on the guitar and pickups all with the same amp. So it's in large part the guitar/pickups. I generally test attack by playing fast alternate picking high up the neck. That really showcases how articulate a guitar/pickups are or aren't. When it's articulate i love that sound, makes it so much easier to play so i think I know what u r looking for. And the variance between all my guitars is very wide with the same amp and settings.
You can hear attack change just by going to fresh strings.
Pickup type/character matters. SCs have more snap.
I check it by playing low notes, I want the boing to happen.
I starting to think now that it's more of guitar quality, but of course some amps compliment some guitars specially and there is some effect of amp compressing the sound.. When I tried the combo specified in OP I had never tried either GF6 or any Supro amp so I had no reference point to compare because I had no experience with them. I was just amazed about that snappy attack which reminded me of my guitars with SCs. When I think my guitars there's quite change in the attack between them. But I think that amp EQ (middle area) and compression also can make some difference on the attack.

SackvilleDan

Platinum Supporting Member
Amp plays a huge role! I installed an RS '50s wiring kit in my LP Standard the other night, and to test out the differences vs. stock I ran it through both my Bluesbreaker (the amp I was frequenting with this LP before installing the kit) and my DRRI (that I've been favoring more recently) to get an idea of how much the kit actually changed the sound of the guitar.

I noticed that there's more instant snap on a note with the DRRI, and that the Bluesbreaker makes the attack somewhat more blurred (smoothed at the edges?). These amps sound very different in general, both pushed hard (dirty) and clean (volume lowered)

Obviously guitar plays a big part too - my Tele and/or Strats through the same amps have a brighter, sharper attack than my Gibsons, but just wanted to highlight the differences between one guitar with brand new strings tested back to back / side by side on these two amps... to isolate those other variables so to speak.

vintagelove

Amps can vary immensely in their immediacy.

A BF super reverb is about as forgiving as a mom, you can almost do no wrong.

A Redplate feels like a cannon attached to your picking hand.

Pick the right tool for the job.

dansworld

Gold Supporting Member
The amp also affects attack, based on the speed of it's power supply. Greater power supply sag has a way of slowing the attack down somewhat, but it's effect on slow note playing- the delayed "bloom" of the notes- is a pleasant quality.

Playing fast staccato notes on that same amp comes out like mush.

gixxerrock

IMO, they are both important. I have slower reacting guitars (hollowbody) and fast reacting guitars (tele). The difference is very obvious at high or low gain.

Different amps have very different feels, or will be completely different practicing alone vs. playing full volume with a band.

Trending Topics