Attention Budda sd owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jay66, May 14, 2006.

1. jay66

jay66 Member

Are any of you Budda super drive owners Into Metal? what distortion pedals do your amps favor for this? I am thinking about getting a Subdecay Blackstar. Has anyone tried one?

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

IMO, you don't need a pedal for metal if you're rocking a Superdrive. They have plenty of gain on tap. Great amps!

3. jay66

jay66 Member

I want that brutal scooped crunch at low volumes.I can get it when I really turn it up but I can't always do that.[wife upstairs!] Either a pedal or an attentuator should do it.

4. 440gtx6pak

440gtx6pak Member

I never cared much for metal distortion pedals, until I tried the Guyatone Metal_Monster.

I only like the overtones of tube distortion and this pedal combines the sound of tubes with metal.
    Its expensive but you can usually get it for half price on Ebay.

5. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

I'm a metal guy (along with a bunch of other stuff). Before I found my SD30, I was using a Mesa Dual Rec. for metal stuff. I get a great metal sound out of my Budda by scooping the mids at the amp,and using an OCD(there is a lot of gain in that pedal). I have an older ptp version of the SD30 without the "mid scoop" on the mid knob. I think the newer ones w/the scoop, sound even heavier with an OCD.

:dude

6. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I would suggest the ToneBone Hot Brit

7. jay66

jay66 Member

Mine is the newer one with the mid scoop. It does get pretty heavy when you pour the coals to it even by its self. Does the OCD put out much feedback? Can it be turned down for a tamer crunch?

8. qatcat

qatcat Member

I have a Budda Superdrive 30 112 combo and run an OCD on the dirty channel. I get almost no feedback when running the pedal with the Budda gain normally set between 2 and 5. It just thickens the sound for soloing. Granted youcould crank the gain to 8 or more and get a damn good metal tone. The OCD allows more tonal versitility.

I run the Menatone Kar Krash on the clean side and let me tell you the sound is absolutely nuts! I've never heard better tone in my life! I'll run the KK on the dirty side too but I prefer the OCD..

9. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

I'm crankin the gain on the Budda (about 8) and run the drive on the OCD at abot 1 o'clock (alot of gain) and not having any real issues unless I'm facing my amp from about 3 feet away (which I dont really do LOL). I tried a bunch of pedals at work (J.Gravity Strings, in St.Louis) and the OCD was the one. The Tonebone stuff didn't come close. I don't run my stuff like that all of the time,but when it's time for METAL I do.

10. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I have an SD30II head and I think it does metal sounds pretty well without aid of a pedal. Maybe not as aggressive as a dual rec or something like that but pretty darn heavy. The mid control really has a lot of range. Maybe its the bass that's not tight enough for you. The bass is thick and always present - but isn't super, super tight at low volumes. So that's where a pedal may come in handy. Maybe try an EQ pedal or something like that? The Budda has more than enough gain.

11. jay66

jay66 Member

Yes that is it. The bass is not very tight at low volumes. I have been considering a THD hot plate also. Would a hot plate tighten things up a bit? I love the way this amp sounds when I turn it up, plenty tight then and plenty of gain also. I just don't get to do that very often.

12. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I've never tried a hotplate with mine (or any amp for that matter) but...I'm not sure you could get a reasonably low volume and still maintain that cranked tone. Bedroom volumes are always going to be tough because you're just not moving enough air. I think you might be better off with a pedal like you originally thought. An OCD is probably a good choice (from what I've heard) or like I suggested maybe an EQ pedal for when you play at low volumes only. Also keep in mind the 30 watts here are a loud 30 watts - my amp easily keeps up with 50 watt Marshalls. I have the same situation where I need to keep it reasonably low at home and then get to crank it up at band practice and gigs. However I can only afford one amp right now and this is it as it covers all the bases I need. I'm pretty darn happy with it too.

13. jay66

jay66 Member

It looks to me that Music toyz or Big city music are the only ones that carry the OCD. Has anyone ordered from either? Good Bad? Or could you recomend some place else?

14. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I have a Superdrive 45. Between that amp's drive channel and my OCD, I can do Korn songs on a Strat if necessary (my band covers "Word Up". That should be enough gain, distortion, and nutz for you to do metal...

Peace,

jb

15. jay66

jay66 Member

Thanks alot I really apreciate the advice. I am going to try an OCD.

16. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

I'm no longer a SD owner, and was never really into getting metal tones out of it, but I heard from other owners that putting an eq in the loop is the key. It doesn't necessarily need more gain, but you could cut the bass a bit to tighten it, and cut the mids a bit if necessary...

17. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

We just got a Fulltone shipment in yesterday at our store. We have OCD's in stock if you can't find them. The link is in my signature.

18. jay66

jay66 Member

Got my OCD today, this thing really rocks. I played around with it for about an hour and I'm not sure which I like better full on drive or just a little crunch. It sounds great no matter where I set it. The sustain goes on forever. By far the best sounding distortion pedal I have ever had. I ordered a Homebrew psylicibe phase to go with it. Can't wait till it gets here so I can try them together. Thanks again for the recomending the OCD.