Attention Deer Hunters-Do you age the meat?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Killcrop, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Yeah, that doesn't appeal to me one bit. I like to know I am eating my kill. It's not very hard to butcher a deer. I have yet to do it myself but I have stood around drinking beer and watched others do it. Looks easy really.

Scrapperz likes this.
  2. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

I'm with you. I think the gun club I hunted with were doing this too. I ain't into it. I'll do it myself.

I do understand the aging thing though but I think the worst thing that can happen to a deer is not killing it dead with the first shot.

In the late 80's I was driving early in the morning back home from the shore and this road I was on was one of those unlit rural roads. I drive up on someone parked in the middle of the 2 lane road with their hands on the antlers of a nice 8 pointer. When I stopped I got out and asked what was up. He said that he hit the deer and it was stunned and wouldn't move so he was trying to get it moving by pulling him to the side of the road by it's antlers. I warned him what might happen if that deer comes too and then people started coming to the scene. They dragged the deer off the side of the road and shot it with a hand gun. I watched them shoot it 6 times to the head and the deer still wasn't dead. flailing all around jamming itself between trees that grew close together trying to run. I would say the adrenaline running through that deer was at max. I left shaking my head.

3. Strat335

Strat335 Member

I didn't read the other replies. I always let it bleed for 4 or 5 days in a cooler before freezing. Just empty and keep it iced. If you have only eaten deer frozen as soon as it was killed, you don't know how good deer meat is, IMO.