Attention S.F. Bay Areans who need Amp Work!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rhythmrocker, Aug 4, 2008.

1. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

:D:D
    Just got back my '71 Ampeg V2 Head from Stan Bailey - re-capped etc. WoW! Sounds fantastic, all the usual descriptors.

Here is what he did:
    1. Cleaned all of the potentiometers, jacks, and all contact switches.
    2. Tightened and cleaned tube sockets and "holders".
    3. Inspected filter, and bypass electrolytic capacitors.
    4. Inspected for cold or bad solder joints.
    5. Hooked up to dummy load, and check for output wattage, and abnormalities in the waveform.
    6. Tested tubes for emissions, static current draw, and dynamic mutual conductance.
    7. Check all components to assure they are in spec.
    8. Inspected all reverb, tremolo, speaker, and footswitch cables. Fixed hum in reverb - (it is so quiet now!)
    9. Biased output tubes.
    10. Re-capped the amp. The caps were obtained from Antique electronics ($105.00).
    11. Performed listeming test.

He charged me a little less than 300.00 for everything - including parts!
    If you are in the area, have him do your work. Note - he did exactly what I listed here which is also what he lists at his website; if he does work for you, it may be for more or less what he did for my baby; the point is that in these hard economic times, here's a guy who does great work for an affordable price!

Here's his website: http://www.mojotronix.com/

Just remembered - he did a bench test of a Master Volume device to see if it would fly and determined that certain cap-mods (changed values) would have to be done. This may explain why these amps with the MV didn't sound as good as the non-MV versions, if they kept the electrolytics stock in all V2's - more importantly, he did not charge me for this!

:D

2. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

I have been looking for a good guy i the Bay area. I will try him out.

3. snoggin

snoggin Member

I know stan .. he has been around a long time and has a great reputation.. I have had him do a few things for me also

4. bosstone

bosstone Member

He found an intermittent problem with a Marshall I had that couldn't be found by another Bay Area Tech. Then he sold me a Mercury Magnetics transformer (the transformer was the problem) that he suggested from a different model of Marshall and made the amps sound much better than new. I thought the prices were very reasonable and I liked dealing with Stan. Fairfax is a cool little town too.

5. cugel

cugel Member

i too know stan and can vouch for his work
    plus he can pick up your amp too

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Stan is a great tech and a really cool guy. He's also an excellent guitar player, a huge plus in a tech.

He's Very reliable too. It's hard to do better in a tech than Stan Bailey IMHO.

Thanks, Dana O.

7. mapleneck72

mapleneck72 Member

How was the turnaround time?
    I left him a voicemail before but did not hear back.
    I would like to try him in the future.
    I've had good experiences with South Valley Vintage Amps and King Amplification.

8. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

After I placed the parts order, it was about three weeks turnaround time. Stan works amp repairs out at Bananas at Large in San Rafael and always has amps on his bench so not too bad, about when I expected it.