Attenuator for 100 watt marshall..which one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Colt, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Colt

Colt Member

I really only want opinions from guys that have attenuated 100 watt marshalls w attenuators...I have my favorites on other amps as well...just nothing this big.

I usually go for Dr. Z Airbrake or THD......which does you guys like and prefer..and why? Thanks!

oh, and please, no "don't attenate a 100 watt marshall" yadda yadda yadda....I like them..some gigs you can't crank it...I don't want two amps

2. Ripfence

Ripfence Member

I have used THD on my old Marshall, it worked well.

3. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Just wanted to throw in another name.... Weber Mass. Made by Weber speakers. Several models to choose from and not quite as pricey as THD.

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Word of truth has been spoken here. I demo'd a weber mass right beside my THD hotplate and it did'nt sound any better or worse than the hotplate.

5. nek

nek Member

I have used a THD hot plate and a Komet airbrake with my Marshall. Both do the job and at no time did I feel the reliability of the amp or attenuator or speakers was any kind of issue. The Komet sounds much better than the THD, but nothing sounds better than no attenuator at all.

6. Matt H

Matt H Guest

if you're attenuating a 100watter ANYWAY- at least *consider* pulling a pair of power tubes and then you'll be attenuating less...

granted, if you're going for OT saturation specifically, this won't quite be the same.

7. mgrier1

mgrier1 Silver Supporting Member

Solid props for the Ultimate Attenuator...

If using with the Marshall, make sure you custom order it with the "plexi" switch and for the 4-tube version ask Mark to make it for the heavy load that amp will provide. The plexi switch adds back that plexi sparkle that most attenuator kill...

I've had many of these devices...Scholz, Koch, THD and none have provided the clarity, tone and responsiveness as this unit has. Of course it is not as good as going without attenuation, but if you have to do so, then check these out.

Expensive, but worth it...

8. jgyn

jgyn Member

Happy so far with my THD Hotplate on my Super Lead.

9. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

Ultimate for me as well. I know the gentleman that actually designed it and still builds it. If interested, send me a pm and I'll forward you his info. Saved me a lot of money vs. buying it on-line. Works perfect with my JCM 800.

10. Roe

Roe Member

how does the weber mass compare to the komet/dr z airbreake?

11. ibeagle

ibeagle Member

Hot Plates have "Bright" and "Deep" switches which I find very useful when switching between humbuckers and single coils. Keep in mind attenuators don't sound like a master volume, you lose all dynamics. I used to use one with my JCM 800, but now prefer it without. Get a nice pedal, save yer tubes.

12. matte

matte Senior Member

hotplate. used it with a variety of amps, always with stellar results.

13. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

The Hotplate is pretty much the standard in quality, features, and price, which is very fair when comared to others. I had to pick up more than one so price was an issue for me. Buying 2 attenuators at $500+ is a little steep. I could put that to another piece of gear. Also the Line Out is a must for me for running effects.

14. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have had an Alessandro, Ultimate, THD, two Webers and the best sounding most transparent is the Richter.

To me the Richter is an absolutely vital piece of gear I simply could not use the amps I own without it. Not having it would be like not having a speaker cab for your amp head or not having any guitar cord.

15. barman

barman Member

Hey Colt,

How's it hanging brother? :BEER

I use an Ultimate with a Roccaforte Custom 80 and love it.

16. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

Pulling 2 tubes in a 100 watter doesn't really attenuate all that much - what it does do is lessen the frequency bandwidth/response of the amp which is very noticable. The actual percieved volume decrease will not be half as one might think - more like 25%. An attenuator of some sort is a better option imho.............

17. Mark C

Mark C Member

Another vote for the Hotplate. Worked great for me for 2 straight years gigging evry weekend for 2 four hour sets without a hitch on my old 73' superlead.

18. Matt H

Matt H Guest

that's all true, but doesn't touch on what i was trying to get at...

pulling two tubes and then ATTENUATING less will give you a much more natural sounding amp.

i do this with my twin, it makes a huge difference.

other advantages? you're not wearing on as many tubes. you don't stress the attenuator as much. you can get a smaller/lighter/cheaper attenuator .

so will pulling two tubes dramatically reduce volume? no- but it will dramatically reduce POWER. that is what an attenuator does, first and foremost.

less attenuation? more natural end result.

19. Colt

Colt Member

Sup Barman? What have you been up to? Did you know I left the Dallas area? I moved back to Texarkana to help w/ the family buisness. PM me brother.

thanks for all the input guys!

20. swankmotee

swankmotee Member

I'm still using my old, trusty Marshall SE100 which is a fine sounding attenuator/direct box once you clip the little diodes they added to make the signal crackle at lower settings. (HA!) I've been using it alot lately with my 100 watters around Nashvegas clubs and it sounds pretty darn good in comparison to THD,Dr Z, or the Alessandro muzzle which I've tried. The only draw back to this model is it only offers four settings but I usually only notch it back one click so as to get more of the true PUMMELIN' tone of the beast! I just stick a piece of glass in front of the cab at a 45 degree angle and that allows me to hear and feel it without killing folks and pissing the soundman off! HA! There is only one way to ROCK and thats with all four tubes slammin' out the jams and there really IS nothing like the sound of a classic 4holer 100 watt MARSHALL DIMED BABY YEAH!!!!!!! A few of us lucky ole farts still are getting away with it!:AOK