Attenuator for /13 RSA31...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jwilliams, Dec 21, 2009.

1. jwilliams

jwilliams Member

I've got some smaller gigs coming up and I'm thinking I'm going need to bring along an attenuator.

What attenuators are you guys using on your RSA31's, 23's, FTR's, etc.?

I've read endless reviews of many different attenuators but I was curious what experiences you guys have had with using attenuators with these amps.

2. TCauble

TCauble Member

I'm also interested in this for my RSA31. Anybody know anything?

3. jwilliams

jwilliams Member

4. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

The Faustine is my pick. Fred's amps can be picky about attenuators.... but the Faustine sounds really natural.

5. jwilliams

jwilliams Member

6. Jove

Jove Member

I use the Hot Plate with my FTR with pretty good results. I start to just try to do what I can to make it sound good no matter what I'm attenuating at. Maybe not try to make it sound the SAME at low volume as it does high volume but just make it sound good in it's own way. For instance, the other day, I recorded some tracks with the FTR and certain tracks I had attenuated down more than the -16db and while it didn't sound exactly like the amp does with no attenuator, it had its own interesting sound that worked perfect for the track I was using.

I think great sounds CAN be made with big amps attenuated down, but I also don't go into it expecting it to sound exactly the same..so if that's your goal, I don't know that the Hot Plate is the best choice. I've heard the Faustine is great for that.

J

7. Brazen

Brazen Member

Sometimes I use the Weber MASS200 on my Peavey Windsor 100watt head. It does affects the sound a little but it has a treble compensator on it. I bought it because it is impedence swamped and has an active coil in it.

8. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

If you have multiple amps taht are running at different impedances, then you might want to look at the Aracom or Faustine. If you have one amp or many amps that all run at 1 impedance, then I can't recommend the Alex Attenuator enough.

9. jwilliams

jwilliams Member

10. Champ

Champ Senior Member

The Alex Attenuator.

11. almesy

almesy Supporting Member

Anyone tried the Bad Cat Leash with the RSA 31? How does The Leash compare?

12. HendricksonDrew

HendricksonDrew Member

13. shakti

shakti Member

Another big thumbs up for the Alex...it's cheap (by comparison), reasonably sized, sounds *fantastic*, and most importantly...it's available!