Attenuator For 71 Super Lead 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Burst59, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I'm getting my 71 Marshall Super Lead 100 back from restoration and was wonder if there any good attenuators that wont sound like ass.
    This amp was modded with a master volume and pre-amp and I've had all that crap removed. So it's either a attenuator or my Mosferatu pedal for the gain.

2. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

provided that U don't wanna go for massive attenuation, the THD hotplate should suit U just fine.

3. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I have a '73 PTP Super Lead. I'm not a big fan if the THD Hotplate, although that's all I have. It used to have a Master Vol so I put one back in...I like that better. BUT amps sound best w/out attenuation. Look into a 50 watter (or pull the two inside EL34s out and run the impedance at half of the speaker cab impedance (ex. 16 ohm cab with half powered Marshall, run Marshall head speaker out at 8 ohms into the 16 Ohm cab)).

4. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Marshall amp-Marshall Power Brake

5. jgyn

jgyn Member

I use the THD Hotplate with my Marshall Super Lead and Hiwatt DR103.

6. justonwo

justonwo Supporting Member

yep

7. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I use Hotplates and like them very much, but keep in mind that you need to be at a fairly high (gigging) volume level on a Marshall 100-watt head for an attenuator to sound good, in my experience. In other words, they will not turn a big bottle high-wattage head into a bedroom amp.

I like my Hotplates. They give you bright and deep switches to add back some bass and treble you may have lost via attenuation, and the variable line out is great too. Only problem I see with them is that they are for only one impedence rating each. Some attenuators, like the Dr. Z Airbrake, allow you to run any impedence speaker/amp combination.

8. Burst59

Burst59 Member

The multiple impedance speaker option is important due to the fact that I have a 2X12 with 2 8ohm speakers and a 68 Marshall slant with 4 16ohm Celestians

9. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I gig with a hotplate every other week and have done so for years without any issues.

10. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

if by that, U mean that the 4-12 cab is 16Ω and the 2-12 cab is 8Ω, i would have no qualms using either hotplate w/ a slight inclination towards the 8Ω hotplate.

11. localmotion411

Do you mean that you think an 8-ohm hotplate sounds better than a 16-ohm hotplate? Or you can use an 8-ohm hotplate with the 16- and the 8-ohm cab? Please go into as much detail as possible -- this is something I need to get a handle on and any help would be appreciated.

12. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

going up or down by one jump w/ the hotplate is no big thing. i've used 16Ω hotplates w/ 8Ω cabs and various other combinations. i wouldn't hesitate a moment to use an 8Ω hotplate w/ either a 16Ω or 4Ω cab. i suggested the 8Ω hotplate because there's a bit more flexibility in the choice of cabs.

13. suckamc

suckamc Supporting Member

Variac. Get a variac. Screw the hotplate.

Just ask Fred from DB13 what he'd do. He'll tell you: "Get a variac!"

14. localmotion411

Me + variac + my luck = amp blown to smithereens

But yeah, that is a good way to go. Ask a lot of pro guitarists and techs, Peter Stroud for one.

15. localmotion411

I would really like to try this out but would like a few other's opinions before I do. Don't exactly want to test this out on my Concorde. Will it work okay with the amp dimed? Any info verifying this that you could point me to would be great.

16. justonwo

justonwo Supporting Member

I'd be careful doing this. I know my Super Lead, which runs at high plate voltage, can be picky about the specific setup. If the impedance seen by the amp gets too low, the tubes will start to red plate. Also, be aware that for those amps that run the ragged edge on plate voltage, using the "deep" and "bright" switches lowers the impedance seen by the amp and can also drive it to red plate.

It's probably the exception rather than the rule, but it's something to be aware of.

17. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

pardon me for not making this absolutely clear.

if one is using the 8Ω hotplate w/ the 16Ω 4-12 cab, the amp should be changed to it's 8Ω setting.

18. StevenS

StevenS Member

I run a Dr Z Airbrake with my 71 50 watt, 1987X, and Germino Lead 55LV. They all sound best with no attenuation. Unfortunately that's very loud. 1 or 2 notches is best. Any lower than that and you can really start to tell the difference. The bedroom level is usable but not really very good.
    All in all I'm very happy with the Airbrake. It's transparent, which is what I was looking for.
    I never got to try any other attenuators though. I had heard good things about the Hot Plate but as someone else mentioned already you have to get one to match the output of your amp, where the Dr Z is good for 4,8, & 16 ohm.

19. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

FWIW, i'm of the opinion that a variac is an absolutely essential tool to use w/ an unmodified '71 marshall. the power supplies on these beasties are not meant to run on modern voltages coming out of the wall. dial down the voltage to 100 volts (use a meter to measure - the variacs are notorious for being inaccurate) and re-bias the amp to those voltages and then always use the variac set to the same voltage. if U have the $$$ (and if U can afford a '71 marshall...) treat Urself to a power conditioner w/ regulated AC. U will never again experience the 'amp sounds great one day and so-so the next' phenomena.

my experience tells me that using a variac for attenuation purposes really doesn't cut the mustard. cutting the AC from 120 volts back to 110 volts will result in knocking a few dB off, but those few dB are rarely enough to adjust the amp to the dynamics of the drummer.

20. marinblues

marinblues Member