Attenuator for Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Brad Scott, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Supporting Member

Hi,

I'm thinking of putting an attenuator on my Deluxe Reverb in order to push it a bit more but still keep the volume reasonable.

I'm considering a Hot Plate. Would another attenuator work better with the DR? I've heard good things about the Ultimate Attenuator, but it might be more than I really need.

Also, would I want an 8 ohm box?

Thanks

2. epluribus

epluribus Member

An attenuator on a DR, whaddya nuts? :)

I use a Weber Mass on my DR II for the same reason, very cool for sure. The Weber has an impedance selector and a nice line out too.

--Ray

3. Brad Scott

Hey, those 22 watts are LOUD in the home studio! :)

4. Brad Scott

Any other good solutions . . . Air Brake maybe?

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

What about a separate 12" speaker cab? Unplug the combo and plug in the external. Use a less efficient speaker. Same impedance but much less db rating?

That can make a significant difference.

6. epluribus

epluribus Member

True dat. I get more grief from my buds when they see the Mass on my DR II, but it's true--they's way loud at home! But it's so cool being able to push the amp properly at household volumes. Anyhoo, just couldn't resist bein' the gripe-er instead of the gripe-ee for once. :)

--Ray

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've used an Alessandro Muzzle attenuator, and gotten good results.

8. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

Hot Plate works great with mine. One useful feature is the bright switch on the Hot Plate as it allows you to knock down a little of the brightness of that amp (however goes away once you're turned up to 6, anyway).

9. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

I am fairly impressed with Jzucker's demo of the Ultimate attenuator as can be seen on Youtube. Really doesn't affect the tone much. However I just checked and it is 450 bucks so depends on your budget.

Arsepa likes this.
  10. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

I recently got myself a DR. As with my other amp, I use a Dr.Z Airbrake.
    The airbrake seems to be made for stage use IMO. At the first 3 positions (with the factory settings that can be changed) it doesn't color the tone at all. The bad news is that... you might not notice the effect of the "attenuator". The volume change is barely audible.
    You have to use it at the bedroom position and there it works well, but will all the cons of an attenuator.
    For someone like me, that needs an attenuator to use with the amp at home and therefore use a lot of attenuation, Ultimate Attenuator seems to be the best choice. For demos and reviews, UA appears to be the only one that can be used for "bedroom levels" with the best results.

It's very pricey, but since I love the tone of my amps, I'm sure I'll end up buying one in the future.

11. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    The Allen Accomplice has a master volume and a raw control that works for me.

It gets the exploding amp on fire tone at reasonable Volume levals outdoors and in.

EnJOy ThE MuSiC
    GrooVey Records

12. GBStratman

GBStratman Member

I sometimes use the Weber Mass Lite with my SFDR. It has separate controls for bass and treble attenuation. To be honest, though, I'm not really sure it's worth the trouble of an attenuator with this amp. Although the attenuator works okay, it seems to suck out the mojo from the amp. I agree that a less efficient speaker may be a better solution.

13. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I've used both the AirBrake and the Bad Cat Leash on my DRRI ... both worked well and I found them transparent at all but the most heavily attenuated settings.