Attenuator help with a combo amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by chrispatel, Feb 18, 2009.

1. chrispatel

chrispatel Supporting Member

I am looking to purchase an attenuator for my bad cat hot cat 15 combo. The problem is the speaker wire for the combo is too short to reach the attenuator so it can be placed on the amp.

How should I handle this?

Chris

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Buy a Dr. Z Lite. It goes inside the combo, so speaker lead shouldn't be a problem. Why would you want to attenuate a 15 watt amp though? That should barely, if at all, keep up with a drummer.

3. chrispatel

chrispatel Supporting Member

Mainly to get the power tubes running while playing at home without waking up my son and driving my wife nuts.

Chris

4. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I hear that! I gave up on playing at home, and just play my bigger amps at my studio space. My Metro 50 watter is just too loud for the house, even attenuated, and my Vox AC30 kinda gets by since it has a PPIMV. I usually just rock out on my Epi Valve Jr. at home though, it does well enough.

I haven't tried that Dr. Z Lite yet, but it looks really cool. Check it out:

http://www.drzamps.com/brakelite.html

5. guitarnoize

guitarnoize Member

I have a Webber attenuator and to be honest the tone I get when my Black Pearl is running at 7.5 watts with the volume down compared to the amp running at 30 watts with all tubes firing but the attenuator controlling the volume isn't that different.

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've used a female-female connector to add another speaker cord long enough to go to an attenuator. It's not the best idea if it should fail. Or, just make a longer cable and solder it to the speaker.

7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've used a female-female connector to add another speaker cord long enough to go to an attenuator. It's not the best idea if it should fail. Or, just make a longer cable and solder it to the speaker.

8. fierce_carrot

fierce_carrot Member

If you are looking to play at levels where you won't wake your sleeping son, then you should be looking at some sort of modeling amp like a POD where you can play thru a set of headphones.

9. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

Unfortunately, that has been my best solution also. Or I run it through my P.A very quietly... At this volume level the the tubes don't seem to make that much difference... I just canceled an order for a Rebel 20. At low levels I don't really see any major value over my Blackheart and at gig levels my bigger 1x12 combos are better, and I'll slightly attenuate those if need be... I don't like modeling much per se but the "idealized tones" work well at the don't bother the family levels....My opinon of course which might not mean much.

10. 6789

6789 Member

Get your son used to sleeping through noise. You'll be glad you did. I know a couple who got their kids so trained to HAVE to sleep with total silence. The slightest sound wakes them now. My experience with attenuators has been to get to that quiet of a level, it's better to just turn down the amp and use a pedal for any overdrive.

11. devnulljp

devnulljp Member

You can always just replace the speaker cable with a longer one no?

But here's a related question. I have a Weber minimass attenuator on a 20W tube combo. As it's a speaker motor, is it safe to disconnect the speaker cable and use the line out to a headphones or will that damage the amp?
    I know you shouldn't run a tube amp without a speaker load, but I'd like to be able to silence the speaker sometimes but still use the amp (getting sick of sounding like Boston in my old Rockman).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  12. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

What is wrong with people? The guy wants attenuator advice and you grill him on why he wants one and suggest that he get a new amp??!! LOL!

Add a longer speaker cable - it's an easy fix.

13. epluribus

epluribus Member

I put speaker-in and -out jacks on all my amps anyway, just to play mix n match. Among other things, that would solve your problem--just a coupla speaker cables to/from the attenuator and you're all set.

BTW, I do this with a Deluxe Reverb II and a Weber Mass, for reasons similar to yours. Works terrifically at home.

--Ray