Attenuator opinions. Need some guidance.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jmaster67, Dec 22, 2009.

1. jmaster67

jmaster67 Member

I have lately been considering an attenuator, but do not want to spend 6 or 8 hundred.
    I don't need bedroom levels per se, just a little knock down for stage.
    How does the hot plate compare to the Dr.Z Air Brake? I played an Air Brake in the store yesterday, but it's hard to tell on another rig.
    Has anyone tried both? Is there one I'm over looking? What's the best attenuator under $400?
    What about the Dr. Z Brake Lite?
    Thanks.

2. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I've owned the Hot Plate, Air Brake and Brake Lite.

They are all good units, but here are some things to consider.

Air Brake and Brake Lite sound the pretty much the same, so if you do not need the bedroom volume setting you can save few bucks with the Brake Lite.

Hot Plate has a Line Out and Bright and Deep switches that the Dr Z's do not.

The Dr Z's have smaller increments of attenuation which I found work better for me in a live situation. The Hot Plate is in 4db increments. The Dr Z's are 3db on the first setting and then down 1.8db for each of the others.

Dr Z's work with both 8ohm and 16ohm loads. If you have cabs with both loads you'd need two Hot Plates.

I've also heard people mention that some attenuators work better with certain amps so you may want to ask peoples opinions on that. My experience with attenuators has been on a Dived by 13 JRT 9/15.

3. jmaster67

jmaster67 Member

I have an Orange AD30 and it sounds best between 11:30 and 12:30 on the master, but I have to run it around 9:30. I don't know how much db cut that is but that's how much I need to knock the volume back. Would the brake lite work well with that?

4. never-enough

never-enough Member

under $400?

check out the alex's attenuator.

best deal out there as far as i'm concerned.

5. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Yes maybe the Alex is the good alternative in a fixed impedance lower cost attenuator. I'm a Faustine fan....

Also the Komet Airbrake works great. I like the smaller increments in db reduction- sometimes 4 is not enough and 8 is too much.

6. jmaster67

jmaster67 Member

The brake lite is $169, has anyone used one? If that will do the job, I think I'm headed that way. Has anyone tried it and the Alex?

7. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I have really good results with a Weber Mini Mass. By far the best deal out there as well.

8. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

I'm using a brake lite with my ac30/6. I'll be using it in a live situation this weekend, and I'll report back to you after. So far, I think its a great little unit. Good construction and doesn't suck tone.

9. Champ

Champ Senior Member

New Alex's Attenuator Best new piece of gear I bought.