Attenuator vs Load-box

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thekaiser, Jan 26, 2015.

1. thekaiser

thekaiser Member

Hello,
    I know this is kind of a tired topic but I've done some searches and haven't come across an answer to my specific question yet so here it is:
    With the announcement at NAMM Im really GASing for the reissue Silver Jubilee as it has always been one of my dream amps but I live in a small house with close neighbors and roommates and I also don't play out so I'm not in a situation where I need anything close to a 100 watt stack. However, I still want that head and I'm assuming just the master volume on the amp won't do enough to get the sound down. I'm currently looking at the differences between getting the half stack and something like a Rivera Rock Crusher or just getting the head and using something like a Palmer PDI-3 with studio monitors or into my recording interface or headphones. Which of these would be better for this type of situation?

2. thekaiser

thekaiser Member

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Doesn't make sense to get a 100 watt amp if you can't use it. Of those solutions, I'm guessing the Palmer would probably sound the best, but none would sound really good.

4. Optimus Rhyme

Optimus Rhyme Member

I don't know why you'd assume the master volume won't get it down to useable volume? I would venture to say that *most* of the gain you get from this amp is preamp gain, so running the master low won't kill the sound too badly.

But if you're going for power tube breakup, you're definitely going to need some kind of attenuator or load box with speaker sim. In this case the Mesa Cab Clone can be really handy. The Rock Crusher Recording may also be up to the task.

I shudder to think you'd use THAT head into studio monitors . . . even with the Palmer. I would personally get the 4x12 or a really nice 2x12 and an attenuator just to move some air once in a while. YMMV

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

You're right. I made my comment assuming that he was talking about TV type volumes. Likely the master volume would sound as good as an attenuator or very close to it, and having a real cabinet would let him crank it if he wanted to.

6. mix2much

mix2much Member

I use a Two Notes Torpedo Live (load and spkr sim) with headphones or studio monitors at home most of time when I don't feel like or cant't going through a cab. It sounds awesome and I can play a 100 watt amp anytime I want.