Attenuators that work with mismatched impedances

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JDaniels, Nov 28, 2019.

1. JDaniels

JDaniels Member

I have an ‘81 JMP 2203 that only has speaker out taps for 4 and 8 ohms (all Canadian versions back then were like this apparently). My cabinet is a more recent 1960B Classic with Greenbacks at 16ohms. I’m looking for an attenuator that will shave off a few dBs bringing it down from obnoxious to acceptable gig/stage volumes (so I don’t need bedroom level). I also need a good line out for running a cab sim to FOH as well. What are some of your favorites that will keep me around $300. Thanks.

2. DownByLaw

DownByLaw Member

I dunno at your price point, but the PowerStation would do what you want. Perhaps you could get a used one?

Patrick

Furilla likes this.
  3. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I think the only ones that’ll allow for that are the ones that reamplify the signal, like the BOSS Waza TAE and the Power Station.

4. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Aracom is a non re-amp that has selectable in and out impedance.
    Probably won’t find one for your price point though.

Lespaulsignature 74 and ripgtr like this.
  5. stryker59

stryker59 Supporting Member

The Weber mass attenuators will accomplish what you want at that price point.

6. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Don't know any in that price range off the top of my head. The Aracom does it. Mix and match amp and speaker impedances all day long.

That said, if you run your amp at 8 ohms into an 8 ohm attenuator, you won't have any problems running it into a 16 ohm cab. I did this for a long time. Seek out something like a used THD Hot Plate at 8 ohms.

QRSS and Lespaulsignature 74 like this.
  7. gillman royce

gillman royce Supporting Member

Ultimate Attenuator.

gulliver likes this.
  8. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Not sure that the imposed budget is realistic tbh...

The ToneKing Ironman II 100w has separate impedance settings (4/8/16) for amp and cab, and a line out with a RL cab sim. It's a great product.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

You could rewire your cabinet and make it 4 ohms

HotBluePlates likes this.
  10. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

I bought a Weber MassLite for 80 bucks used. Given all the complaints about attenuators my overall impression is that it's a decent tweak.

11. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

Weber Mass for the win. It takes 2-4-8-16ohms, has a lineout with a separate tone stack, and is $250.

blvckvv likes this.
  12. playthecray

playthecray Member

I love my THD Hotplate (8 ohms). I appreciate the tip on the mismatched impedance. I am looking to get a 4x12 cabinet that is rated for 16 ohms. I thought I was going to have to find a 16 ohm Hot Plate to use with it.

13. Mike Lind

Mike Lind Member

The following attenuators allows for impedance matching and mismatching.

Aracom PRX150-DAG (2-4-8-16 ohm to 2-4-8-16 ohm)
    Tone King IRONMAN II (4-8-16 to 4-8-16 ohm)
    Masterplant A2XR (2 ohm unit support 2-4-8-16 ohm cabs)

There are other units out there and I haven’t tested all but for me these rise above.

14. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

You're good. Your amp will see the 8ohm load going into the THD 8hm Hot Plate (or other brand you may choose). Running the attenuator into a 16ohm cab, you will loose maybe a hair of volume but, not too much. You won't notice it since you are already using an attenuator. Give it a try. IMO, THD Hot Plates are very reasonable used.

playthecray likes this.
  15. MBT74

MBT74 Member

Double check with the Weber people but I’m pretty sure they told me that as long as you’ve selected the correct impedance for your amp, it doesn’t matter what the cab impedance is because the Mass is providing all the load. The catch with that is you have to make sure you don’t flick the bypass switch on the Mass if you’re mismatching amp and cab. :)

16. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

An attenuator is only "providing all the load" when it's set to load or when it's a load like the Fryette that keys you slave (not re-amp) your head.

Any 8 ohm attenuator on the amp's 8 ohm out into a 16 ohm cab will have a varying degree of mismatch from 8 ohm set to load to 16 ohm when bypassed.
    Now fwiw I've yet to come across an Amp that has issues running into twice the resistance... So it's all good.

17. Vanyu

Vanyu Member

You could just pull two tubes, that'd get you to 16 ohms and your greenbacks will thank you. Since you don't need bedroom levels, that may actually suffice on a stage with no attenuation. 50w with a MV and greenbacks is a golden stage combo IMO.

If you find that to be an acceptable solution for those volume levels, you could take that money you saved from the attenuator and invest that into a Sennheiser e906, that's definitely a combo worth mic'ing :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    QRSS likes this.
  18. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Member

19. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

rickybuzz likes this.
  20. jbylake

jbylake Supporting Member

Bugera PS1 Passive 100 Watt attenuator for guitar or bass, 4, 8, and 16ohm outputs, line in, speaker out and emulated mic (bal). Built like a tank, works great and a bit over $100.00. I have it and use it.

J