Attenuators vs. Power Scaling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slegros, May 11, 2008.

1. slegros

slegros Member

Some attenuators like the Dr.Z Airbrake seem to get good reviews. Also the London Power Scaling system seems to be generating quite a following. Aside from the technical differences which system seems to work best in a practical situation? Has anyone tried both methods?

2. Masa

Masa Member

To me, the Power Scaling works much better. I have two amps with PS. I've owned some attenuators (Airbrake, Muzzle, Weber...).

3. soldano16

soldano16 Member

The current buzz in attenuators is the Ultimate Attenuator which is not actually an attenuator but a full load and reamp solution. I have one and love it. I have vintage JMI, Marshall and Hiwatt amps so power scaling isn't an attractive option. But that hardly matters as I'm thrilled with the UA and can use it on all my amps.. The tone is heaven. I've stopped using overdrive pedals and can now just use my guitar volume for gain. Perfect setup.

I'm no pro but here's a taste of a 50 watt plexi on 7 in a tiny basement room. No pedals.

http://media.putfile.com/You-dont-love-me-96

4. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I like power scaling the best. I own the Airbrake and Hotplate and used to have a Weber MASS.

All the attenuators seem to lop off some top end. I use an Airbrake with a Komet Concorde regularly.

5. mooreamps

mooreamps Senior Member

Not sure to reply to this one. Perhaps external attenuators maybe more appropriete for exisiting for vintage amps. I've seen photos of people doing the VVR on a Marshall upto and including using the fan cooled heat sink to keep it from melting. Also, I'm sorry, but my guys in Sunnyvale seem to believe dropping the plate voltage on a power tube does brown out the sound, if that's the effect you're going for.

-g