Attenuators with a Hiwatt/Reeves?

KBN

I am running a Reeves Custom 50. I borrowed a Marshall Power Brake from a buddy of mine and I like it pretty well on the first couple of attenuation settings. In my forum searching, there was a fair amount of talk about how different amps sound better with different attenuators. So this question is for Hiwatt users: What attenuators have you found that work best with these amps?

Thanks,
Keith

Griz

Have you thought about combining a bit of mild attenuation with the use of a smaller, perhaps also less efficient, speaker arrangement?

KBN

Have you thought about combining a bit of mild attenuation with the use of a smaller, perhaps also less efficient, speaker arrangement?
I have thought about it, but I really like the sound of a 4x12. Even at lower volumes there is still something about them. And I don't always need an attenuator running. I just want one in my tool bag for when there are smaller rooms/stages that need lower levels.

ahab

Ever since I had a attenuator melt a tranny in a Marshall 1959 Slp, I vowed never to use one again...and I have stuck to that vow.

callaway_1

I have found that the Ultimate Attenuator works very well without any problem with HIWATT DR504's and DR103's.

dookie

I have found that the Ultimate Attenuator works very well without any problem with HIWATT DR504's and DR103's.
I heard that the Ultimate Attenuator was created by a guy that has a closet full of Hiwatts...

I myself use a 16 Ohm Hot Plate... I think it's great but not that great at the -16 dB levels... Then again, I think that any attenuation at that level is most likely not favorable...

Ted Witcher

Ok, so I just spent a while reading about power scaling and that seems like the logical way to go. What I couldn't find is how much it costs. Any idea. Thanks.
Don't know, a couple hundred maybe? There's a list of installers at the London Power website.

callaway_1

I have heard from Bill Jansen at Reeves Amplification that Power scaling doesn't work well with the HIWATT circuitry. If it didn't hurt the tone, he would have already offered them.

His other amps with the power scaling are great! It is too bad it doesn't work well with a HIWATT type!

I had a 16 ohm hotplate until I tried the UA. The hotplate then went to ebay.

KBN

I have heard from Bill Jansen at Reeves Amplification that Power scaling doesn't work well with the HIWATT circuitry. If it didn't hurt the tone, he would have already offered them.

His other amps with the power scaling are great! It is too bad it doesn't work well with a HIWATT type!

I had a 16 ohm hotplate until I tried the UA. The hotplate then went to ebay.
Thanks Callaway. I was wondering why the Reeves Customs didn't have the power scaling option. I assumed it was just to keep them as faithful re-creations, but it makes more sense if it doesn't work well with Hiwatt circuits.

Trending Topics