Attenuators...............

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OldSchool, Oct 11, 2005.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I just got a Kick ass Germino and love it but................f*ck it if it ain't loud. I saw the Webber Mini mass for $100...............The hot late sound great but Money is an issue.............Any experiences? Facts opinions? Thanks!!

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've used Dr. Airbrakes with Germinos with great results.

3. big mike

big mike Moderator Staff Member

Buy a real one. The Mini robs way too much tone at max attenuation. My fav is the Airbrake, but the hotplate is good too.

4. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

How much do you need to attenuate? that makes a difference

5. mr breaker

mr breaker Member

I haven't used an attenuator before. I have a 100watt tube amp (master volume), when I'm just practicing at home I keep the volume super low to get bedroom volume levels.

Obviously this does not sound nearly as good as when the volume is even on 4 or 5.

Would the Dr Z or hotplate give me the tone I get when the volume is high, but not necessarily cranked, at a bedroom level?

Or are these attenuators designed strictly for cranking your amp to get power tube distortion?

6. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

How many OD/Dist/Booster pedals do you have ight now? Sell them all but one and get HotPlate or DrZ.
    BUT....an attenuator ain't good for bedroom playing. It works great if you use it to attenuate ust a bit on gigs and rehearsals. My Hotplate sounds GREAT at -4 and -8db, OK at -12db and useless (to my ears) on - 16db.

7. Nigel11

Nigel11 Member

I had a THD for a couple days and sent it back.I just like the sound of the amp pushing the speakers.

8. brent

brent Member

An attenuator ain't gonna get you to bedroom levels, it will keep you from pissing off soundguys leadsingers and to a certain extent wives.

I have three Hotplates and ALWAYS use one. I'm a big proponent of getting the powertubes working, I don't see the point in having a tube amp and then never being able to play it at the sweetspot.

9. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I have two Hot Plates and really like them.
    I usually use them to get the amps working in the 4-6+ volume range and then attenuate to the desired volume. They work great in that regard. However if you need bedroom volume, just use your master as you won't really gain much from cranking the amp and clamping down to -16db or so and more than likely your MV amp will sound better wihtout the attenuator at bedroom levels.

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thats basically what I'm after...........Just enough to stop rattling the windows.........Anyone here have any experience with a Power Brake?

11. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I got a Marshall PowerBrake, THD HotPlates, Z Airbrake, and some old Rivera artifacts.

It's a little amp specific which one is "best". HotPlate always sounds good. Sometimes Airbrake sounds a little better, sometimes a little less good.

The Marshall PowerBrake is not normally the best sound, but it does work.

If I only had one attenuator, it would be a HotPlate.

12. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I've only had experience with Hot Plates and Power Brake. I did NOT like the Power Brake at all. Made the amp way too muddy and high attenuation. Whish I knew then what I know now, I would have bought the 72 Superlead for $700.00 when I had the chance, but with the Power Brake it sounded flubby. I bet it would have been killer with a Hot Plate!

13. Crazy Dave

Crazy Dave Member

+ 1 I agree. It won't stop you pissing off wives though. To any extent. All good non-mv amps are loud both on a physical and metaphysical level. Good tone at bedroom volume is impossible.:dude

14. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thanks for all the help..........a member here PMed me with a nice offer on a Dr.Z so I went for it............I don't want whisper volumes with it.............I just want to tame it a bit and I like the fact I can play it with any speaker cab...........its ohm friendly..........I'll let ya all know how it works out..........:cool:

[​IMG]

:dude :dude :dude

15. big mike

big mike Moderator Staff Member

DUDE. I want that Dickey Picture!!!!

16. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I think you'll really like the Z. It's great for taking the edge off.

17. Timster

Timster Member

I bet an Ultimate Attenuator would tame the Germino to Bedroom levels. It is the best one around for this purpose.

18. m1911

m1911 Member

Old School....you never mention WHICH Germino you have....
    Just curious.....also, does it nail those Dickey and Duane Tones.
    I find most Marshall Tones "too aggressive" for lack of better term.
    However, I think early Clapton and Allmans are the best tones you will find.
    Know what I mean?
    Thanks,
    Mark

19. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I'm very pleased with the Ultimate Attenuator. I use it as sparingly as possible for live shows...as all attenuators should be used, IMO, but it really does retain a lot of the character of the tone at high attenuation. The Z did not do that for me at all and was returned almost immediately.

Hope it works out for you though!

....Dickey with a PRS????? Blasphemy!:D

20. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

If you look close its signed by him as well................;) :dude

The amp definitely has that ABB vibe and sprit.........its just what I was looking for.........:cool: