Attenuators?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Oriondk, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

i’ve never used one. I plan on buying a tube amp in the near future. I want one with good clean headroom and loud enough for a band. I also need to be able to play in the bedroom so I’m thinking I need an attenuator. I love the Fender clean sounds and am leaning towards a 68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb. I like the breakup on the Custom channel, but the volume needs to be turned up quite a bit.
    My main concern is whether an attenuator has much affect on the tone? Also would like a recommendation for a good one. Price is a concern.
    Thanks!

2. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

What's your budget?

If it's in your budget the Power Station is hard to beat.

3. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

Who makes it? Budget is probably about $300. Edit: I found it. Price is a little steep, but maybe I can get there. Description sounds really good.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  4. Bluesful

Fryette.

Not sure what will be best in that range.

Oriondk likes this.
  5. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Attenuators work great, but they have their limits.

They are not the right choice to tame a loud tube amp down to bedroom levels in my opinion. Why? First of all you're putting mileage on your tubes. And after all there will be considerable tone suck, because those speakers don't move at such low volume levels.

Attenuators are great to cut a few dB when playing with a band, though. Get a drive pedal for your bedroom needs.

mojah and Oriondk like this.
  6. Bluesful

I have to disagree.

Yes, it's not the same as getting the speaker moving, but I think my Power Station does a fantastic job of letting me crank my amps at home.

flyingmusicman, indeedido and Oriondk like this.
  7. SmilingDave

SmilingDave Supporting Member

Oriondk likes this.
  8. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

I had thought of getting a pedal.
    Other option I’ve considered is a Suhr Reactive Load IR to use for recording and headphones. Not sure if that would keep the headphone volume low if I cranked the amp though.

9. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

I used to find solutions for bedroom playing and I've heard this advice a few times.
    If you like how your Custom channel sounds cranked, it will not be the same at 80dB.
    One thing that cannot be compensated for fully is the speaker part..
    At low volumes, does tube vs pedals OD matter so much? I don't have that experience.

Moreover, there was a recent thread about someone trying all kinds of options & then settling on a Mfx for bedroom playing. There are a few different volume levels within 'bedroom' playing. He had to go really low otherwise he found 'pedals + Amp + Atten = best tone but it can't go whisper quiet.

Oriondk likes this.
  10. Lamby

Lamby Member

It does. It has a headphone volume control.

Oriondk likes this.
  11. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

What about the Rivera Rock Crusher?

12. 8len8

8len8 Member

Re-ampers (Power station, Ultimate, Unleash) will get you to TV volume more transparently than a passive attenuator.

Oriondk and Bluesful like this.
  13. PRSAtomic

PRSAtomic Supporting Member

I use a weber mini-mass and impulse responses from RedWirez. The attenuator dumps all the signal and I use an output on it labeled line out. I have a balanced 1/4 plugged into the line out of the weber and a XLR male connector on the other end plugged into my audio interface. I can absolutely control the tone and get great sounds at bedroom levels. To do this I use gain on my audio interface which I really really like. The treble boost switches on the weber don't seem to effect the tone by adding brightness on the line out. It already sounds more than bright enough for my taste. The line out signal gets louder as you turn up the amp so you may need a pad option on your audio interface to drop some db if you plan to dime your amp. My amps have master volumes so I don't dime my amps, plus that will crush you power tubes.

Oriondk likes this.
  14. AA864

AA864 Member

I currently have a
    • Power Station v2
    • Badcat Unleash v1.5
    • Brakelite
    • Power Soak
    I also had a 2 ohm THD Hotplate that I used with a Super Reverb, sold it because the PS/2 sounds much better. The PS is by far the best (and most expensive), the Unleash also does very well. The brakelite does fine with my Gries 12 and also mounts in the back of a combo to make it very gigable. The power soak started it all in the 70s and still works fine with my BF Bassman.

I’ve found the diff attenuators sound good/bad with diff amps. It takes trial and error and also depends on what you are trying to achieve with your setup.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Oriondk and flyingmusicman like this.
  15. Doug59

Doug59 Supporting Member

Oriondk likes this.
  16. SG-Slinger

SG-Slinger Member

17. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

Fryette Power Station 2

Oriondk likes this.
  18. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

The main amps I’m considering are between 30 to 45 watts.

Doug59 likes this.
  19. Doug59

Doug59 Supporting Member

20. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

If you have a $300-ish budget, look for a used ToneKing IronMan. Phenomenal attenuators that is designed not to suck tone, even at low volumes.

Doug59 and Oriondk like this.