Attenuators?

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
Based on my experience,
A master volume is better than an attenuator.
A combo of both can be better, or worse, depending on settings.
If you are set on an attenuator, the Alex/Scumback has been my fav for high amounts of attenuation. The THD Hot Plate is good for taking the edge off.
I didn't like the Power Station, either version.
Right now, I'm using a Suhr Reactive Load in parallel with a speaker cabinet to shave off a few decibels. It allows me to open up the amp just enough at home without killing my ears. No way I could really crank it this way at home, like I could with an attenuator. Haven't warmed up to IRs. They're useful for recording, but I still prefer a mic on a speaker, even at low volumes.
So, I say Alex/Scumback for deep attenuation. THD Hot Plate for mv+attenuation. Suhr RL or Suhr RLIR for a load.
Agree with all of this. The Scumback DBL is great with Marshall style amps. Can also be used as a load box for re-amping since it has a line out. I sold my SRL since it became redundant.

Bobby, you should try the Friedman Mic No Mo. I’m amazed at how good it sounds.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
How many Splawns have you owned and tried the PS2 with? 0 right? It won't help a Splawn. You get the perfect combination of power amp and preamp gain with the amp alone. They're designed beautifully

Eric

I would agree if that was the type of amp the OP was buying. A Splawn Nitro is not a Plexi or Tweed and gets most of its character from the preamp like a JCM.

Understood lads, but I'm referring to blanket statements like "MVs are better than attenuators".

I don't think that's the case given scenarios I mentioned.

But yes, I understand about your point and that specific amp.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
Agree with all of this. The Scumback DBL is great with Marshall style amps. Can also be used as a load box for re-amping since it has a line out. I sold my SRL since it became redundant.

I'll look at it. Thanks for the heads up

truckin

Supporting Member
I owned a PS-2. Sold it... while I felt the sound was mostly transparent it drastically altered the feel. I like using a Kelley attenuator the most, both with my Kelley and other amps. Other than that, good overdrive pedals like Kingsleys or a good MV.

mallcorn

Based on my experience,
A master volume is better than an attenuator.
A combo of both can be better, or worse, depending on settings.
If you are set on an attenuator, the Alex/Scumback has been my fav for high amounts of attenuation. The THD Hot Plate is good for taking the edge off.
I didn't like the Power Station, either version.
Right now, I'm using a Suhr Reactive Load in parallel with a speaker cabinet to shave off a few decibels. It allows me to open up the amp just enough at home without killing my ears. No way I could really crank it this way at home, like I could with an attenuator. Haven't warmed up to IRs. They're useful for recording, but I still prefer a mic on a speaker, even at low volumes.
So, I say Alex/Scumback for deep attenuation. THD Hot Plate for mv+attenuation. Suhr RL or Suhr RLIR for a load.
Have you tried the Aracom and Iron Man II to compare against the Scumback DBL? How does the Scumback DBL line-out signal compare to the Suhr RL?

mallcorn

Sirloin - how was the Scumback DBL line-out compared to the Suhr RL line-out?

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
Have you tried the Aracom and Iron Man II to compare against the Scumback DBL? How does the Scumback DBL line-out signal compare to the Suhr RL?

I've not tried those. The Suhr RL is designed to be used as a load, and is perfect for that. Never used the Alex as a load with IRs.
I did make a video 6 yrs ago showing how well the Alex attenuates:

sickboy79

The Aracom is king for me. Best attenuator I've ever used. I also own a few THD Hot Plates and a Dr Z Airbrake. Aracom all day long.

mallcorn

The DBL line out starts out at a higher signal level even with the line out Level set to minimum. Other than that, I was able to make them sound identical to my ears reamped through a guitar cab.
Good to hear about the line-out because the Suhr RL is the one to beat. How about the attenuator piece - How much range does it have before it changes the tone on a 100watter?

alivegy

I have two aracoms because I like to run the master on my jcm800’s >6 while keeping the preamp gain low. The have a lineout if you want to run ir’s and cab sims, you can run them silently as a load and on the occasion that I like to attenuate my super reverb i can set my cabinet and amp impedance separately.
I bought the aracoms many years ago and haven’t looked at new attenuators because they do exactly what I need them to do.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
Good to hear about the line-out because the Suhr RL is the one to beat. How about the attenuator piece - How much range does it have before it changes the tone on a 100watter?
I don’t own a 100 watt amp, but my 25 and 50 watt amps sound great at 3,6,9 DB. I would challenge anyone to tell the difference between the straight amp other than the reduced volume.

engaging the 12db and then continuing to reduce the level does have a slight impact, but we are talking bedroom volumes at that point. Nothing you would use in a live band settings.

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
The Scumback DBL gets my vote. I’ve had the Power Station, Rivera Rock Crusher, Boss TAE, Swart Night Light, Komet AirBrake, and the SPL Reducer. The Scumback was the best in sound quality and the one that kept my tone intact the best.

Gevalt

Get or install a treble bypass switch in your attenuator. It's just a switchable resistor bridging I/O signal, so easy. Best of luck!

Put an L-Pad in a metal box and skip the fuss. Sure, better options are available, at a price...

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
I don’t know much about the Splawn Nitro. I’d assume it’s either a high gain hot rodded Plexi type amp or maybe a unique, cascade gain monster. If I’m right, and it has a loop, I’m also with the crowd saying to give that MV a fair shake before dropping some coin on an expensive attenuator/load box.

I’m not saying the MV will be better or worse, that’s for you to decide. But, if most of the gain in that bad boy comes from the preamp, and it’s a good MV, the difference might be negligible.

Top Bottom