Attn Apartment dwellers

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by GaryE, Jun 26, 2018.

1. GaryE

GaryE Member

For the last 20 years or so I have lived in a house. I've had the luxury of making as much noise as I like,which of course is great. However ,it's getting close to the downsizing era for my wife and me as we want to travel more and not spend a lot of time maintain a house/yard.I think this might be a tough transition for me as I've had a full shop to work on guitars and amps at my whim.Has anyone else had to do this? How did you manage the noise and smaller space issues?

2. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

Yamaha THR10 for low volume fun.
    And/or modeler with headphones.

3. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

For noise, I used my computer either through headphones, or desktop computer speakers when I get tired of headphones. Heck I still play through Garageband all the time.

A smaller space will be a change in your life balance that you might end up enjoying. Less stuff may equal more deliberate choices that you'll appreciate even more. Traveling and new interests may also enhance your life in unexpected ways and offset a smaller guitar collection.

I had about 3 guitars and 1 amp when our family still lived in an apartment. I enjoyed guitars just as much then as I do now as a homeowner. Probably more so since I didn't have to work on a house all the time.

GaryE likes this.
  4. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

You could look in to renting a house instead of an apartment.... or maybe a townhouse that has a garage so you'd still have a work space to tinker.

If you've lived in a house the last 20 years, I can't imagine you'd be happy going back to an apartment. It's just not your noise.... what about your inconsiderate neighbors?

5. Parlorman

Parlorman Silver Supporting Member

Get a good attenuator. I've got an Ironman II Mini and it's great. It goes in between the amp and the speaker(s). You set the amp how you like it and then use the attenuator to get the output at whatever volume is appropriate for where you are without losing the tone of the amp. Works great either for home practice or venues where a cranked amp is too loud.

Baker18 likes this.
  6. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

I plug my guitar and computer output into an old Korg Pandora and play through headphones. I can jam with tunes and play as late or as early as I want without the neighbors hearing (until I start singing, that is).;)

7. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

one of my neighbors is deaf and the one below me seems to not care that i play guitar even with my Vibrolux Reverb set to 5. I guess you could say i lucked out.

8. jaycee

jaycee Member

I've gotten calls from the landlord playing at less-than-conversation volume. You're in for a shock.

Hamer95USA and circle_o_5ths like this.
  9. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

^This.

S. F. Sorrow and Darth Weller like this.
  10. Scanloni

Scanloni Member

Roland Blues Cube Hot. Sounds fantastic, speaker silencing headphone output, USB direct out for recording, can be set to 0.5 W, 5 W, 15 W, 30W.

11. okie

okie Supporting Member

Is there any option for finding a rental space to setup a studio to jam and make noise?

I'm at the same stage as you and my house is on the market and I'm getting ready to move downtown to a loft apartment. But I do have a studio space that is 5 minutes away that I can let loose and it has been great, I don't bother anyone and I can work on amps, guitars, keys, etc. Like an off-site man-cave.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  12. stevemc

stevemc Member

i just went through 8 yrs in an apt.i made adjustments but it sucked.i played a lot of acoustic.been back in a house for the last 6 mos and i am as happy as the proverbial clam.cooking amps are nice and i'm back to daily crankage.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  13. slybird

slybird Member

My band rented a practice space. I would go over there a few times a week. Acoustic at home.

14. GaryE

GaryE Member

Thanks for the replies. I live in Vancouver which is one of the most expensive places in Canada to live . I’m lucky being mortgage free here which is uncommon. Renting a studio space is also hideously expensive.The bands I play with rent spaces hourly when we need to have full volume rehearsals and practice in my basement the rest of the time. I think I’m spoiled!This really would be a drastic change in lifestyle for me. A lot more thought needs to go into this....

marktweedy and Nevets like this.
  15. gerrickreidenbach

gerrickreidenbach Member

This would be my answer.

Darth Weller likes this.
  16. bdm

bdm Member

The Universals Audio Ox and some headphones has been a god send for my sanity lately.

Before that there was the old Carr Mercury and those little 1w Marshalls.

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  17. Baba

Baba Member

I did exactly what you're talking about OP, a little over a year ago. It's an adjustment for sure, but honestly, my house didn't have a basement, and my ex didn't have a lot of hobbies or activity outside of the house, so, I couldn't really play much anyway, so, I got used to that a long time ago.

My band plays 100% IEM anyway, so, I never need to work on amp tones, I plug into my modelers/direct setups, either into headphones or my studio monitors at low volumes.

As far as work, I don't do fretwork or anything, and when I need to restring/do setups, I'll use a neck cradle and towels on the dining room table :D

18. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

19. Coopster

Coopster Member

Depends on the time of day. I've got a roommate too though so I try to be considerate of his "space" so to speak. I've got three amps, four if you count the Yamaha THR, and I'm able to use any of them for the most part though not necessarily always at a volume that sounds glorious, but generally usable for my needs. I do have a Laney Ironheart with a built in vari-watt control that functions quite well in conjuction with the volume and gain knobs for volume control. My Marshall Vintage Modern 100 watter has a fairly effective master but I don't generally use that unless it's like middle of the afternoon. My main amp is a Mesa Mark 5-25, and it's loud as aitch eee double hockey sticks even turned down, I use my Headrush as an attenuator by running it four cable through the loop and front end, that way I can tame it a bit from the board. It also has a headphone out for later night situations. I've never had a complaint.

20. Mayo5

Mayo5 Member

Unless I'm going acoustic only or forced to, no way would I moved from house to apt. I would figuratively kill to have a house and play my gear when and how loud I want to.

Darth Weller and mute like this.