• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Attorneys Are Needed In Order To Get Actual Musicians To Back a Singer on TV

Baminated

Some Friends of mine were recently backing a singer on a major network show where there's a singer and panel of judges.

Anyway, on set break at a local gig with them, I made a snarky comment to them that i was amazed that they actually allowed human beings to play musical instruments on these shows since they usually limit musical skill to just singing only with the usual backing track.

One of the guys said that the singer turned down the offer because she wanted the band not the tracks, and it evidently took a lot of back and forth for nearly a year with her attorneys and their attorneys to make this happen.

Just another sign of cultural doom, carry on

slybird

America? What city? What show? Did she just want live music or did she want specific musicians? May have been a union issue?

boldaslove1977

Gold Supporting Member
yup, U.S, and she wanted HER band who she tours with to back her up
boom. i can see that causing a problem. the next big question... was/were the song(s) she was performing her own? or covers?

if it's one of the big singing shows... odds are it was a cover. who owns the song? who owns the rights to the performance? what about the rights to internet/social media videos? union issues? what does the house band have in their contract? exclusive rights? not to mention... what was in the paperwork the contestant signed when she tried out for the show? i'm sure i'm just scratching the surface. lots of lawyers involved.

i'm just guessing... but it's very possible the show has a deal with the copyright holders of the songs they do that they have to be performed by the house band, plus the contestant. would not shock me at all.

i work in TV. not on a live show with singers and a panel of judges. i work on a show about football. you'd be amazed the headaches and hoops we have to jump through to play even a few seconds of a RECORDING of commercial song. and it can cost a LOT of money. it's mind-numbing. a live performance? ugh. i can see that being a nightmare.

pay attention when you watch ESPN, NFLN, MLB, NBA, FS1, etc. and you'll notice the overwhelming majority of the music is generic. you'll very rarely hear songs you recognize. and it's exactly for this reason. more times than not... it's not worth the time, headaches or money to use a few seconds of the latest hot song on the radio.

Baminated

boom. i can see that causing a problem. the next big question... was/were the song(s) she was performing her own? or covers?

if it's one of the big singing shows... odds are it was a cover. who owns the song? who owns the rights to the performance? what about the rights to internet/social media videos? union issues? what does the house band have in their contract? exclusive rights? not to mention... what was in the paperwork the contestant signed when she tried out for the show? i'm sure i'm just scratching the surface. lots of lawyers involved.

i'm just guessing... but it's very possible the show has a deal with the copyright holders of the songs they do that they have to be performed by the house band, plus the contestant. would not shock me at all.

i work in TV. not on a live show with singers and a panel of judges. i work on a show about football. you'd be amazed the headaches and hoops we have to jump through to play even a few seconds of a RECORDING of commercial song. and it can cost a LOT of money. it's mind-numbing. a live performance? ugh. i can see that being a nightmare.

pay attention when you watch ESPN, NFLN, MLB, NBA, FS1, etc. and you'll notice the overwhelming majority of the music is generic. you'll very rarely hear songs you recognize. and it's exactly for this reason. more times than not... it's not worth the time, headaches or money to use a few seconds of the latest hot song on the radio.
all orig. don't know the other details - but for me it just goes to show that actual humans playing instruments is getting less and less appreciation and is eclipsed singing to be made out as the only thing that "counts" as musicianship.on this particular show, theres NEVER a group - always tracks.

Just seems that they expect people to bow down to their every whim because of how star struck contestants usually are, and it was more of a control freakin issue to where they were challenged with a "take it or leave it", and they obliged albeit with rigorous political ball twisting

Last edited:

27sauce

I dunno, there have been some great TV bands in the last few years. I don't remember very many at all when I was a kid.

27sauce

all orig. don't know the other details - but for me it just goes to show that actual humans playing instruments is getting less and less appreciation and is eclipsed singing to be made out as the only thing that "counts" as musicianship.on this particular show, theres NEVER a group - always tracks.

Just seems that they expect people to bow down to their every whim because of how star struck contestants usually are, and it was more of a control freakin issue to where they were challenged with a "take it or leave it", and they obliged albeit with rigorous political ball twisting
Wait, who was the control freak in the scenario?

She goes on a show knowing they NEVER use live bands, and then gets lawyers involved because she insists on having her band back her up?

Good for her, I guess. I'm guessing she won?

Baminated

Wait, who was the control freak in the scenario?

She goes on a show knowing they NEVER use live bands, and then gets lawyers involved because she insists on having her band back her up?

Good for her, I guess. I'm guessing she won?
What it was is that the tv show wouldn't take no for an answer and kept pressing and she stick to her guns.
The result was attorneys from both sides negotiating human musicians playing instruments in lieu of tracks

loudboy

It sounds like a budget/union issue to me.

There's pretty strict rules about payment for tv, they'd have to be paid. They probably didn't want to have to cough up for a full band.

There's also union considerations.

taez555

Were her band members Union?

Unions are in place to protect labor from being underpaid. Most likely the TV show has many assorted unions already working for it. (Carpenters, Teamsters, etc) When a group of musicians come in, the other Unions probably have clauses in their contracts they won't work if Union members aren't hired for all Union eligible jobs. I know it seems silly, but again it's there to protect labor from being screwed over. From the point of view of the Union, even if they are her own musicians, you're having a live "scrub" band perform without fairly compensating them, at the same time when there are hundreds(or whatever the actual number is) Union musicians in the city ready to play for fair wages. Her band is basically putting Union musicians out of work. And those other Unions who work on the show are not going to allow them to work alongside them.

So they probably had to get all sorts of waivers from the Unions to play.

That's just my guess. :)

Actually the sad part isn't all the red tape she had to go through, it's that musicians over the past few decades have moved away from Unions and instead of making a living wage to play music are in a race to the bottom to see who can be paid the least for a gig. :-(

rsm

even backing tracks have attorneys.

Just wait until AI generates and performs music.

edit: maybe they're will be AI attorneys?

Last edited:

Trending Topics