• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Attractive Wall Hangers that don't mess with the finish

BrianW

I would like to find an attractive, wood preferably, wall hanger that won't mess up nitro finished neck. Anyone have suggestions? Pictures would be great.

Thanks!

Steve Dallas

I use String Swings and just put a washcloth under the headstock to protect it. Not terribly elegant, but it works.

sinner

String Swings here too. You can't see it in this little picture, but under the Les Paul headstock I have added a small piece of black cloth to protect the finish. I did notice a little rubbed spot there where the String Swings touches it so I put the cloth there. I do not see any other spots on the other guitars so I do not put anything there.

janosfia

I use these Hercules above for my acoustics. For my electrics I use the sting swing like the above posters

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I made my own.

Scrap oak railing cut to length
Big screw hooks that you buy for garage tools - remove the plastic
Replace plastic with surgical tubing

$25 or so investment for 8 hangers

I asked the same question and got some great responses:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/512456

Picked up a Hercules Hanger for my ZHong Ruan and have added a small piece of black cloth over the rubber-type holders... just in case. Probably going to pick up a second Hercules Hanger for my Saz.

NOTE - I used a thicker, stronger wall anchor for mounting into drywall as the wall anchors that came with the package seemed kind of flabby. It would be ideal to mount directly into the wall stud... but I'm a moron and missed the stud by 2".

Otherwise, the device seems to be very reliable and sturdy.

Last edited:

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Gold Supporting Member

I use these Hercules above for my acoustics. For my electrics I use the sting swing like the above posters
I have one hanger, and it's this one. Agree that the included mounting hardware needs to be replaced though.

Curious - why a different model for electrics?

GAD

Roodboy

I have one hanger, and it's this one. Agree that the included mounting hardware needs to be replaced though.

Curious - why a different model for electrics?

GAD
It needs to come out further from the wall for the acoustics.

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Gold Supporting Member
It needs to come out further from the wall for the acoustics.
I just bought the shorter Hercules:

I like it because it's just far enough from the wall (4" maybe) that with my really flat guitars I can hang them on a slight angle - not perpendicular to the wall. I like that it swivels too. Regardless of headstock design, the weight is distributed across both poles on the hanger.

GAD

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
I made my own.

Scrap oak railing cut to length
Big screw hooks that you buy for garage tools - remove the plastic
Replace plastic with surgical tubing

$25 or so investment for 8 hangers
Rubber fuel hose (FUEL SAFE) will not react to nitro. Surgical Tubing will.

Works great for converting cheap stands and hangers to nitro safe.

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
NOTE - I used a thicker, stronger wall anchor for mounting into drywall as the wall anchors that came with the package seemed kind of flabby. It would be ideal to mount directly into the wall stud... but I'm a moron and missed the stud by 2".

Otherwise, the device seems to be very reliable and sturdy.
One thing I do is put up a backer to span over a few studs... usually 3/4 thick. Then I ancor my hangers right to that. Then you can have whatever spacing you need.

Course... my office hangers are coming down and Im going to slatwall now. I keep building guitars faster than I have places to store then! :Spank:drink

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Rubber fuel hose (FUEL SAFE) will not react to nitro. Surgical Tubing will.
Works great for converting cheap stands and hangers to nitro safe.
\

Thanks, I'll check into that. So far maybe I've been lucky..my nitro guitars have been ok.

cram

I know some may not find this "attractive" as the OP asks for, but functional to me is an attractant.

The one that makes the most sense to me (functionally) was suggested by JMintzer here.
I like that it's a unit that you can affix to the wall and hit the studs where you need to. I also like that the guitars are tilted so you could save space in lining them up on the wall. I'd rather not make a precession of my handfull across the wall - I've got limited space.
But also you can slide them along the railing like you can do in most music stores.

This is pretty cool:

Derwood

Very cool. Are the blankets strictly decorative, or are they to keep the guitars from touching the wall?

daddyo

My Larrivee acoustic is sprayed in nitro. It's been hanging in my surgical tubed guitar tree for 3 years and there is no blemish on the neck. I'd never put my Flying V in there for more than a minute, though. What's with Gibson's finish?

cram

My Larrivee acoustic is sprayed in nitro. It's been hanging in my surgical tubed guitar tree for 3 years and there is no blemish on the neck. I'd never put my Flying V in there for more than a minute, though. What's with Gibson's finish?
maybe that the acoustic weighs less? I dunno.