Audacity To Split Tracks

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by bilbal, Aug 6, 2008.

1. bilbal

bilbal Member

I am trying to figure out how to take a single track recording of a show and split it up into individual song tracks. I was told to download and use Audacity. I just tried to do it and I got frustrated. Does anyone here know how to use this program and can give me some pointers to get started?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I haven't used Audacity, but is there a "split" function (right click?)? If there is, insert a "split" wherever you want to seperate songs then copy/cut and paste individual songs into different/new tracks. This is how you would do it in Sonar. Not sure if the "split" term is universal or not.

3. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Find the point where you want the song to start. Click there. Use either the arrow keys or the mouse to highlight to the end of that particular song. Copy. Open a new file. Paste. Save to format of choice. Single song now saved. Done.

The split function is for splitting joined stereo tracks into individual tracks or cutting that section out and replacing it with silence. It sounded to me like the OP had a single track (stereo or otherwise) with multiple songs that he wanted to split into individual songs. Using my method will do that. Highlight the area you want to save then copy and paste into a new track. That will put the song in its own track. Then it can be saved.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008