audio file nightmare

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Carlier, May 18, 2006.

1. Carlier

Carlier Member

I am slowly losing my mind here. Due to all the copyright protection, it seems nearly impossible to save my own original music onto a cd, take that home and import the file into cubase. Windows media player, i-tunes take over and make it impossible to just keep the original .wav file-everything gets converted or manipulated somehow.

I recorded a live drumtrack at school, and want to import the audio tracks here at home. Any ideas? Nero doesn't seem to allow you to 'rip' files onto your harddrive.

The files are 19 mb on the cd, but end up as 3mb files if I try to import them.

Thanks!

2. e-z

e-z Member

Can't you copy the file onto a cd as a data disk and not an audio disk? If that's possible, which it should be, you can copy the file onto your hard drive at home and import from there.

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

iTunes, at least on the Mac, has a preferences option that allows you to specify what it does on CD insert. You can also specify file importing options, such as AIFF, WAV, mp3, etc.

I don't know anything about Windows Media Player, so I can't comment on that one.

As I understand it, the native format for Cubase is WAV.

4. joseph

joseph Member

There's an easy solution, I'll try to post it when I get near a PC with Media Player.

5. joseph

joseph Member

"When recording, or ripping, music from CDs, Media Player allows you to make protected recordings so that no one will be able to copy the recording from one computer to another. You can turn copy protection on or off on the Copy Music tab by checking or unchecking the box that says Protect Content."

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3672_7-5020593-5.html

6. Carlier

Carlier Member

Thanks for the replies. I have now found a way of doing it with Nero that works. I don't think windows media player has any such options, and itunes is one of the most manipulative programs I've ever seen. It doesn't allow you to do much that doesn't involve itunes!