Audio Furniture Advice

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by steve sanderson, Sep 7, 2019.

1. steve sanderson

steve sanderson Silver Supporting Member

Looking for some advice regarding audio furniture. Getting ready to organize my stereo equipment(long overdue). I have a simple Salamander rack right now but I'm looking to move up to a larger unit to house my amp, cd player a turntable and media. I like Salamander but what do you folks think? Thanks, Steve

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

I prefer newts.

Maybe I just don't give too much (obssessive?) consideration to the stand my system is in. I have a solid oak rack/stand that I bought in the mid 1980s from the old Rogersound Lab store in Santa Monica, or was it West L.A., don't recall, exactly. It has served me well ever since.

3. Markfx

Markfx Member

I have 3 Salamander racks myself and, although they can be a chore to reconfigure, I do like them. I found good prices on Craigslist; any imperfections are nearly invisible when the gear is on the shelves!

4. johntoste

johntoste Member

The best audio racks, (like HRS, Grand Prix Audio, and SR Audio, for examples) will absolutely make a difference. But...the cost of these is extreme, even to a tweaky audiophool like me.
    I suggest you use your Salamander rack(s) and also use IsoAcoustics Orea isolation pucks under each component, one shelf at a time, as you can afford them. You'll get most of the benefits with a moderate financial outlay.
    Also, referring to a previous post of yours, get decent interconnects, speaker cables and power cords. Many people have chimed in with the "copper is copper" refrain. I maintain that they're misinformed and that you should treat cabling like any other component. Locate the closest dealer for Nordost cable, borrow enough of their entry level for your entire system. After listening for a while, put the cheap stuff back in. No difference? Great! Live happily ever after. But... listen for yourself!

5. amigo30

amigo30 Member

Not cheap at about $2000 per shelf, but the Bassocontinuo racks are definitely stunningly beautiful, as far as racks go.

Another really good look I've seen is a few bricks with big thick slab of uncut timber board on them - meaning it's flat, but not squared off at the corners - then finished to make the wood shine.

6. steve sanderson

7. steve sanderson

Went with a Salamander Synergy in maple. Another some assembly required project. Going to have to remember to check the medicine cabinet for a full supply of band aids.

Rex Anderson likes this.