• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Audio Interface Question

jerrylee

Silver Supporting Member
I am hoping to revamp my recording rig soon. Being the dinosaur I am, I am a bit overwhelmed by all the choices out there - so I am lookng to my tgp comrades for advice. I am currently running a MAudio Delta 1010/Cool Edit/Cubase rig. I went with the 1010 because of the number of analog inputs...and that's still important. I record live a lot, so portability, and the # of analog ins are most important. I don't really need buit in pre's since I run out of my MixWhiz, if I am doing project stuff I have a couple nice(ish) pre's to choose from - so I just don't need buit in pre's. A Firewire/Laptop rig would be sweet, 16 analog ins would be the most I would ever need, but I need a minimum of 12..any advice/suggesitons?

Hi jerry.

The problem with portable rigs is more often than not the efficiency of the transfer protocol. USB for recording 12 channels at a time? Don't count on it. Even firewire barely makes it. Sure the manufacturers claim to be able to attain it with their USB/firewire interfaces, but in practice, I have not seen a USB interface handle more than 4 simultaneous inputs well and a firewire interface handle more than 8 well.

In any case, i have not seen any USB or firewire interface in the market that have 12 ANALOG inputs. You can usually daisy chain two or more 8-channel firewire interfaces together to make 16 channels though. As for USB, from my experiences, they will fall flat on their faces if asked to handle anything more than recording a few simultaneous tracks.

If you really need to run a laptop to record 12-16 channels flawlessly, I'd suggest you take a look at PCMCIA card interfaces instead. You laptop needs to have a PCMCIA slot though, and they are usually found on higher end laptops like the Macbook Pro.

RME makes good ones: http://www.sweetwater.com/c709--RME--PCMCIA_Audio_Interfaces

You mentioned you don't need built-in preamps. That assumes you are recording only line level signals like synths or POD outputs. If you have a mic, or if you need to plug in say a bass guitar directly, you will need a preamp to drive the signal into something recordable.

Maybe you make electronic music purely from synths and computers? I can't imagine anyone not needing at least a few preamps if looking to record a typical band setup with singers, guitars, bass guitars and drums.

Last edited:

stratocat63

Gold Supporting Member
I guess it depends on what you use, but I have an ancient computer and can record plenty of tracks via FW.

G4 500mhz Power Book with only 512 mb of RAM, a PCMCIA FW card that feeds a 7200 RPM drive and some interfaces that connect to the internal FW port: a Metric Halo 2882, a Metric Halo ULN-2 and a Presonus DigiMax. That gives me a total of 18 inputs and I can record them all. I should mention that I upgraded the computer's hard drive to a 5400 RPM model.

Now mixing on that would be slow going, but I can track all day long.

mainly

i just got an rme fireface 800. its awesome. sound quality is way up there. the converters are where its at i think.

patrickisbusy

I use a PreSonus FP10. The preamps are good, the converters are good, the drivers are solid, and they're inexpensive enough that I'll probably be buying a second one to daisy chain for a total of 16 inputs.

Trending Topics