audio interface

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ash, Sep 1, 2008.

1. ash

ash Member

I have Sonar 6 Producer, a bunch of mics and some good guitar gear. I'd like to be able to record guitars (acoustic and electric), so the recorded tracks can be used in a professinal recording.

The thing I'm missing is an audio interface. So far, I've used a Tascam US-122, which works ok, but not really satisfying.

I guess I don't need more than 4 channels. I'd appreciate any help and tipps on interfaces. Thanks!

2. ash

ash Member

3. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

What is your budget? I am really happy with my RME Fireface 800. The Fireface 400 is pretty much a smaller version of the same thing.

4. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I agree. . .budget is the most important consideration when asking a question like this. You've mentioned that you haven't really like the Tascam US-122. I've got one and have NOT been satisfied with it's results. It's USB. Are you looking for a Firewire interface, USB or PCI (See RME above). Also, are you looking for audio only or do you need midi also? Do you really need four inputs at a time, or will two do the trick?

f.w.i.w...I've got a ProTools TDM Mix system running on my Mac G4. I love it. I've got a Great River Pre-amp and get great stuff of me at home. Problem. . .it's running on OS-9. All of the new stuff coming out is on OS-10 or Windows. Solution. . .Since I like ProTools, I've just ordered a M-Box Pro (Firewire) for some drum stuff (BFD and Superior Drummer 2.0) and some soft synths.

You could check out www.sweetwater.com and click on recording and go to audio interfaces. . .or go to www.tweakheadz.com and do a little reading on interfaces. They've got a comparison page of I think 59 different audio interfaces.

Good luck!

5. ash

ash Member

to be honest, I haven't really thought about budget. I guess I'd invest as much as is needed to come up with good results. But no, my budget is not unlimited, so the costs should somehow be reasonable (whatever that means in the music business ;) ).

Being a novice, it doesn't matter to me if it's USB; Firewire or PCI, I'd use whatever works best. Since I only aim at recording guitars (acoustic and electric) and maybe vocals, I'm looking for audio mainly. 2 inputs might do the trick, but I'd rather go with 4, which would offer more flexibility (e.g. recording 2 mics in front of the box, 1 room mic and 1 dry d.i. signal for re-amping).

I've done some reading over the last days, and read that a combination of an interface and a preamp might be a good solution. Would a good preamp (like the SPL Gain Station) improve results with the Tascam US-122? Or does the Fireface have a good built-in preamp?

thanks.

6. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I had a MOTU 828 (the original) for YEARS! It just died yesterday and I replaced it with the new Ultralite Mk3 (all I need...)

I've compared to the US-122. If you get one of those MOTU units, the sonic difference between that and the US-122 is quite noticeable. At 550, the Ultralite has built-in FX (you can use it as a standalone mixer, I haven't tried that yet, I may...) and even MIDI I/O, so it's a potential one-box solution. 2 mic pres, but 6 other TRS 1/4" inputs, and 10 ouputs, plus SPDIF (but NO lightpipe).