Audio recording device suggestion

The Flint

I want to recording some demos for my band and I'm not sure how it's gonna sound with Zoom H2N ??
Also there's Yamaha C24 in option...
In band there's a drummer, 2 guitars with a lot of effects & bass guitar.
I know it's a little bit hard to record the drums,but that can be fixed with EQ later as I heard.

Any suggesttion ?? ... are they any good ??

thanks

loudboy

If you want to just document the songs, use the Zoom in your practice room.

If you want a higher level of production, go to a studio.

It takes a long time to ramp up from zero...

The Flint

thanks for advice,that's what I was thinking too.
Just wanted to check with somebody about Zoom H2N quality...

Fran Guidry

I have done a bit of testing of the Zoom H2n and other pocket recorders at my Homebrewed Music blog, although I focus on acoustic stuff, almost all solo.

Basically, the H2n will capture the sound that hits its microphones very very well unless the sound is so loud that the mics or the first stage of input circuitry clip.

The hard problem is getting a good sound to hit the microphones, because that includes the performers, instruments, room, and position. If the first efforts are not satisfactory, try moving the the H2n to a different location, sometimes even a small movement can change the tonal balance a lot.

Fran

CC Overdrive

I was in this position a few months back. I went with a zoom r16. Yes it's a little more expensive, but I have a TON of versatility now. 8 inputs means I can track a fully mic'd kit, or just use the two on board condensers for high quality stereo recording for practice. I edit in reaper for practice mixing etc. Such a versatile tool. I don't know how we got by w out recording practices before.

wpawley

It all depends on what you want out of your recording. You can certainly use a Zoom type product just to say, " hey, this is us", or you can invest in something that can track your instruments, or spend the money and go to a professional studio. If money isn't a problem, go to a studio. If money is somewhat of a problem, go with what you can afford. Tracking Drums in a practice session can be done with 2 or 3 mic's (one for Kick, one or two overhead positioned to get the drums mostly and the cymbals a little less). Once you figure out how many inputs you need to use, it can all be brought down to a stereo track on a regular recorder. You are going to have a lot of cross-talk between the instruments though. If it is just for your on use, who cares. If it is going to be used for obtaining gig's, better recordings get better gig's (and pay). If you are looking to sale CD's of original music, spend the money for the studio time and let the experts put a package together for you.

The Flint

My mainly needs with Zoom H2n are to record a good demo for soundcloud, YT & too capture some ideas...for a best sound we will go to studio.
Ok, thanks for feedback... :)

Trending Topics