audiophile snake oil... turns solid-state to tubes!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fatback, Nov 7, 2005.

1. fatback

fatback Member

Now available in diamond-back, python, and new black mambo flavors. ;)

http://www.altmann.haan.de/tubeolator/default.htm

Too bad it's for "in-house" projects only and they won't sell it anymore, I could have used some for my my old Polytone.:p

Luckily these are still available:

[​IMG]

:eek: Yes that's just for a wooden knob. Audiophiles make me feel so much better about my amp investments.:D

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

LMAO! That is rich indeed! Whew!:D

3. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Dammit! And just when I thought I had found the most toneful chickenheads!:mad:

:D

4. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

this quote says it all;

Whoever says that High-End deals with the most accurate reproduction, is indeed thinking an octave too low.

5. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

Look at the home page of the altmann site, it gets better. They are clearly taking the piss, making fun of audiophiles.

I have a friend who is an electrical engineer. One of his buddies decided to have a go at the audiophiles and came up with some phony white paper that described how rounded traces on a circuit board sound better than 90 degree corners. He had people beating down his door trying to buy modified circuit boards.

6. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

I've discussed those wooden knobs with many people on many occssions, including some audiophile types. I'm betting they're actually a gag. I seriously doubt they've sold any.

7. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Dang right !! It's a roll-off thing .... :D

8. aeolian

aeolian Member

Whatever happened to the Shun Mook discs? There was a Stereophile reviewer who had to dress up every article with how many he placed where in the room. And the exact angles they were rotated in. :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm an audiophile, and I have silver wire and such. And I'm also an engineer who'd like to understand why things work. But there's an old addage, if two amplifiers measure the same, but sound different, then you're measuring the wrong thing. I don't doubt that there may be characteristics of xyz dielectric that we haven't discovered that could explain why this sounds better than that. But there are some places you have to draw the line. And I've heard some of these ebony hocky pucks and magic oil vials on horrible sounding gear. While the salesman stands there grinning like he's discovered nirvana. (there's a joke in there about no-brain, but I'll leave that alone)

It's about the music. And does it bring you closer to the performance? When it does, I'll buy it. Simple cheap tweaks like 12" bicycle inner tubes underneath things to isolate them from vibrations. Not as sexy as thousands of dollars of graphite and rare Peruvian granite, but it works.

9. LaXu

LaXu Member

My personal favorite is the special chip that you set on top of the receiver or CD-player tray for 2 seconds and it gets rid of some unwanted frequencies or something (can't remember what it was). :D

10. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

[​IMG]

Also keeps razorblades sharp ,and all your kids will be born nekkid . :D

11. slide man

slide man Member

Holy c#$p I bet that is the goop that these guys put on their circuits! That is why they sound so good. RIGHT?

sLIDE mAN

12. e-z

e-z Member

It's called the Intellichip.

13. LaXu

LaXu Member

It was propably the Intellichip e-z mentioned, can't find the website anymore though.

That crystal would at least look good on top of the receiver or CD player! :D

14. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

You guys have not even scratched the surface of tweak lunacy if you are not familiar with the products, writings, and theories of Peter Belt.

Sliver wire, Shun-Mook discs, circuit board layout, goop, wooden knobs - bah! Until you have checked out "Rainbow Foil" or "Quantum Clips" you are still wet behind the ears.

http://www.belt.demon.co.uk/product/product.html
    http://www.belt.demon.co.uk/priceus.html

This site is not about instant gratification however. You will have to read a bit to find out just how "out there" some of this stuff is. The read is worth it however.

Terry

15. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Oh my :NUTS

White Spiratube.

Our latest research has revealed that it is very beneficial to have the outer surface of all A.C. power supply interconnect wires coloured White. The same adverse energy pattern which can be substantially neutralized by having a White outer coating around the A.C. supply wires, is also found on virtually all pipes. This includes cold water, hot water, central heating and domestic gas supply pipes. We suggest that it is well worthwhile experimenting by painting sections of this type of pipe White. A significant improvement in the perceived sound will usually take place. This can be confirmed by repainting the surface of this section of pipe any other colour than White and conducting perceptive listening tests.

It is also very beneficial to have all A.C. power supply interconnects on audio equipment with an outer insulation surface finished in White. As virtually all audio equipment, even the most expensive, has A.C. supply connecting wires with either a Black or Grey surface finish, we strongly recommend that sections of our new White Spiratube be applied to all A.C. power supply connecting wires.

6 mm external diameter White Spiratube.

Short sections of this White Spiratube should be wrapped around all A.C. power supply interconnects, on audio equipment, video equipment, electrical domestic appliances and on ceiling light fittings where the A.C. supply flex is accessible. It will be found that a length of Spiratube of between 3 and 5 cms will usually be sufficient. After fitting the section of White Spiratube around the outer insulation of the A.C. supply connecting wire, it is essential that the Spiratube is coiled so that there is an air space between the individual turns of Spiratube.

Fitting a section of White Spiratube around all audio, video and computer interconnects is also very beneficial.

Ensure that there is a substantial Air gap between the turns of Spiratube

It is well worth fitting sections of this type of Spiratube to the A.C. power supply wiring of electronic equipment within offices. After an office has been treated, it is usually found that the office is a more relaxed and less fatiguing environment to work within.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12 mm external diam. White Spiratube

This new type White Spiratube should be cut into sections of approximately 10 cms. This length will spiral around most domestic pipes. It is suitable for hot water., cold water, central heating and gas supply pipes. At least one section should be placed around each type of pipe in all the rooms of a building. We particularly recommend that sections should be applied to the water pipes supplying the washbasin within a bathroom. We also recommend that the pipes connected to the hot water storage cylinder should be similarly treated. We have successfully applied White Spiratube around the rubber connecting hoses to both clothes washing machines and dishwashing machines. We would also point out that there is usually a short section of flexible hose which connects a gas cooker to the rigid fixed gas supply pipe. A section of White Spiratube should be placed around both the flexible sections of hose and the fixed rigid gas supply pipe.

The White Spiratube should be applied to the pipes so that there is a distinct air gap between the individual turns of the section of Spiratube.

Ensure that there is a substantial Air gap between the turns of Spiratube.

The adverse energy patterns that we have identified around the outer insulation of A.C. interconnecting wires and around domestic pipes within a building is of a spiraled pattern and, whilst having a White outer finish on both wires and pipes is very beneficial, applying the White Spiratube to White A.C. carrying wires or water pipes is additionally extremely beneficial.

Because the Spiratube is expandable, it is ideal for treating large diameter cables or adjoining bunches of cables.

Applying one section of Spiratube to any one section of pipe or A.C. power supply wire is highly beneficial. Attaching any number of further sections, greatly increases the beneficial effect.

After attaching Spiratube sections to the pipes and the A.C. interconnecting wires of electrical equipment within a building, most people will readily experience an enhanced environment and experience much reduced tension and fatigue.

We recommend that a coating of P.W.B. Cream-Electret is applied to the outer surface of both pipes and A.C. interconnecting wires before applying P.W.B. White Spiratube.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I told you it was unbelievable:D

Thanks for posting an excerpt. That was a good one!

Terry

17. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

When I start listening to my water pipes .... nevermind ....
    That was early 70's .... :D

18. fatback

fatback Member

so much for "purple sounds better".:D

19. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

Now I understand why I get "brown sound" from my amps when I use blue wire to connect the tube grids.