Audix i5 v. SM57

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Floyd Eye, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I have no questions, I just thought I would let you know that the i5 is much nicer sounding on a guitar amp than a 57. At least on a 4x12 with V30s. Significantly better sounding IMO.

2. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

I fixed your statement... they are both good mics and yield good results in the right hands. Better is subjective.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Sure they are both good mics and obviously it is subjective. I A/B'ed them for the first time last night and the i5 is louder and basically the 57 sounds muddy in comparison. Some people probably like less output and more mud.:D

4. Belmont

Belmont Member

yeah you're right, thousands of recordings, concerts and history is wrong.

5. TheoDog

TheoDog Member

I found the i5 to sound plain. The 57 sound like a mic'ed guitar amp. The Sennhieser e609 is brighter.
    The 57 has produced more guitar tones that have reached the worlds ears so it is the definition of the sound.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I use both, it's great to have different mic choices for different amps and cabs, and beyond that, they work nicely layered. The combination gives a pretty rich sound, band bring the 57 up, or the i5 down, to adjust the balance.

7. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Silver Supporting Member

I prefer the i5 to the 57 on the top of snare drum, but I prefer the 57 on the bottom better. For guitar cabs I like them both, but I do tend to reach for the 609 more than the i5 or 57 lately. I usually blend with a ribbon as well.

8. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

Compared to a '57, I found the I5 cleaner, tighter, brighter, more scooped and smaller "feeling" in the mix.

I didn't prefer it, except for the times I did.

9. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

Audio Technica ATM650 is my current favorite for live guitar cab micing....I have nothing against Shure or Audix and I own many of their products (including the I5 and 57)....I prefer a bright, clear sound and get more of that with the AT.....generally agree with OP, though...Audix is brighter than 57 and that works for me (play clean mostly). I can see where a 57 would work well for overdriven tones...

Mario C. likes this.
  10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I guess you missed the whole first half of that post.

And there are 1000s of recordings of people using a 57 on a bass cab and a 58 on a guitar cab. 1000s of people loved dial up until high speed came along. Historically speaking the horse was used far more often than the car and the car far more often than the plane. That don't mean we still have to use that stuff. In fact it don't mean you have to use anything other than your 57. I have a couple and I use them. I also said it was subjective and offered my opinion, with a little emoticon to imply the light hearted nature with which my post was intended.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

A 57 does work well for overdriven tones. It's not as hot as an i5 and it is extremely helpful for cranked tube amps. To me it's kinda like comparing a Sennheiser e935 to an SM58. They both sound pretty good, but the Senn is a little hotter and a little crisper and clearer. To my ears anyway.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

That's an interesting idea. Thanks.

13. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

I found this to be true when recording my old band. We put a couple condensers, an e069, and a 57 on my guitar players amp. Once we pulled up the '57, he was like "That's THE Sound!!" and we couldn't disagree.

14. SolidGuitar

SolidGuitar Member

Agree as well. I've found the e609 gives me more detail than I want---the SM57 sounds (to me) smoother and a bit darker. That's the sound!

In the future, I'm looking to experiment with blending a 57 and a ribbon.

15. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

I am affiliated withe Audix, but have also worked for AKG, and Earthworks.
    The statement that amuses me in this is the statement by belmont.

yeah you're right, thousands of recordings, concerts and history is wrong.

I often refer to this as the horse and buggy approach.
    There were most certainly people who thought that the horse and buggy was as good as it could get, that automobiles were a fad, and that hundreds and even thousands of years of reliable transportation would prove them right.

They are different, all metal grille as opposed to plastic, made in mexico as opposed to individual serial numbers and built right here in the USA. Better sounding is certainly subjective. Just because something worked well in the past is no guarantee of it being the best solution in the future. and the future is now.

16. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

I find that the i5 can be better for rhythm parts because the reduced mids allows them to be turned up without getting in the way of lead parts. The 57 is good for lead parts. All very dependent on on arrangement and instrumentation.

That said, if you optimize the placement of each the differences end up being pretty minimal

17. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

18. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

This is very true. They compliment each other well

19. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

I agree, the i5 on snare top needs a lot less eq to right in the mix.

I usually prefer the e906 over a 609 in most cases on guitars. Rarely choose the Senn's for anything on the kit.

20. wpawley

wpawley Member

I have several i5's and a couple of SM57's. I lean toward the i5's, they just sound better on a recording to me (JMHO). I play in a couple diferent bands and try to record practice sessions when I can and both my drummers prefer the i5's on their drums over the 57's. Both my guitarist fight over the i5's for mic'n the cabs (it's a running joke actually between those two nuts). But, if I have my say, they get i5's for mic'n their cabs because it gives a cleaner, clearer sound on the recordings.