Auralex Gramma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PUCKBOY99, Oct 10, 2005.

1. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i too was wondering about these....anyone?

3. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

I use one to tame the subsonic boom from a DC30 in the corner of my amp room. They definitely work!

As for whether you can get the same effect with DIY ... keep in mind the platform is supported on two blocks of very high-density foam, not 2x4s. Dunno ... what's your time worth?

Kiwi

4. jdsgilmour

jdsgilmour Suffering from chronic gearitis Gold Supporting Member

I have one and dig it. I really don't notice it's effect much in my music room because the floor is covered with thick carpet and the room is relatively small. I really notice it's effect on hardwood floors or a stage. Reduces the echo of the bass off the floor. Better projection of sound, IMHO. Just my $.02. Your guess is as good as mine regarding DIY.

John

5. glynn

glynn Member

I use one for recording. Big improvement, worth the 50 bucks fo sure.

6. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    PM Procos, he has them under all of his amp/cabinets.

7. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

They help quite a bit in my bare concrete basement. My furnace still buzzes at certain frequencies but not nearly as much as it does if the amp is right on the concrete slab.

Plus if I get water in the basement again like I did at my old house, I have a couple of inches of protection this time around.:rolleyes:

8. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Use them and love them. Live, studio, even just practicing!

I was swapping pickups in a couple of guitars over the weekend and just couldn't figure out why the guitars sounded plain BAD... til I realized my cab was sitting on the concrete floor. Threw the gramma under there and ... oh, yeah - THERE'S my tone, baby!!!

Planning on getting another one sooner or later so I'll have 3. My first one's starting to look a little haggard.

--chiba

9. Schlep

Schlep Member

Use it, like it, do not regret spending $50 for it what so ever.

Craig

10. PUCKBOY99

Alrighty then.....looks like maybe I'll build one & buy 1 & maybe do a comparison.

I have my cabs on tile & you can imagine the boom that produces...I'd like to tame it all down a bit & thought $50.00 shipped thru Sweetwater wasn't a bad thing, but really didn't know much about them.

Thanks for the responses Fellas! :BEER

11. Schlep

Schlep Member

Puck -

Two things -

If you're using it under a large cab, Auralex just came out with a larger version.

If you think you'll be gigging with it, might as well have Sweetwater order you a carrying bag. The underside is a bit suseptible to damage (part if it is Auralex foam).

Craig

12. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Yes indeed, there will be a larger version called the "Great GRAMMA"! It looks like it will be introduced at Winter NAMM and the price will likely be around $119.00.

Terry

13. rocketboss

rocketboss Supporting Member

Hi Terry,

I'm currently using two of the Great Grammas with great success.

I've put them to work the past to weekends with 4x12's. I love them! Live they take away that woofy konk in the low end. Last Friday night I gigged on a portable stage which usually can sound kind of boomy. My low end was nice and tight. Great for recording to.

Nick-

14. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

It made a big difference with my old amps (Victoria and Tone King) but with my new amp I haven't felt compelled to try it because my new amp doesn't seem to need it (uses a closed back cabinet). I would recommend these without a doubt if your suffereing from boomy out of control bass. It really gives amps suffering from this a lot more clarity and definition. I still have mine, maybe I'll save it and use it when I buy another combo someday. I also think this thing would work great if you live in a condo and don't want to piss off the neighbors, it really seems to cut down the vibration traveling through to the floor.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i use 'em on my bass rigs, and its smoooooooooth sailing. boomy rooms no more.

course, i probably could get away w/ using crates. ;)

16. PUCKBOY99

My cabs are small....Marshall 1965A 4x10 & Marshall 1966A 2x12...both are 24" x 24" x 10" (or so)..........

I just saw these while flipping thru a catalog & thought they would be a proper alternative to get the cabs off the ground a little & maybe take away from the "boom" caused by the floor tiles.

$100.00 for 2 shipped from Sweetwater seems like a good price to me, but if I get a little bored, I might try making one & comparing the differences.

Thanks for all the responses.....I had no idea that many people were using them; you don't hear much about them.

17. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I'm glad to hear that you like them. Thanks for the favorable comments.

Terry

18. PUCKBOY99

Hey Terry (weird typing that...it's my name too:rolleyes: )....

I just saw you were affiliated with Auralex. Thanks for chiming in; it's nice when guys like you stop by & comment on your products:BEER

I ordered a pair a little bit ago:D

19. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Every sound company should have a pile of these. I use them and turn folks on to them everywhere I play. They really tighten up the low end beautifully!

Thanks for a great product, Terry!

20. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I like them. I have two, one for each Mesa combo. I can't wait for the Great Gramma for my 412 cab.

Any chance for a smaller version? Like, Reverend Kingsnake combo sized?

I was getting some weird resonances from the wood floor in my basement, and the Gramma eliminates that problem. Superb product, IMHO.