Auralex GRAMMA?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dsqu4r3d, Dec 19, 2009.

1. dsqu4r3d

dsqu4r3d Member

Hello, I heard about this the other day and im going to check it out tomorrow and I was wondering if any of you guys have heard of it/seen it? Its supposed to make your amp sound outrageously better by just putting your amp on it.

Only video I could find about it- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avSv4IN4y1o&feature=related

Let me know what you guys think.

2. clc12rock

clc12rock Member

I have one. I use it mostly just so it doesn't make the ground rumble because I have people living below me. I don't even know if it does that though, but I haven't gotten any complaints :) And I also don't know if it makes it sound any better. This post was pretty much worthless, sorry...

3. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

They work well at home and live. It makes it easier for the soundman to get a clean sound from the amp, without the boominess that many stages impart

4. burnbritney

burnbritney Member

I use it, too. It helped me eliminate the boominess in my rehearsal room. Great investment imho. I wouldn't go as far as saying they'll improve the overall sound but they certainly help with cleaning it up.

5. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

yeah i have one for my super reverb since i'm on the 2nd floor and that thing will shake the foundation without some cushioning... evidently i was shaking the building so hard something fell off the wall downstairs and broke one time--but, no complaints or problems at all since I put it on the Gramma :aok

6. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

The GRAMMA lets the amp's tones come through without the unwanted coupling effects from sitting directly on the floor.

Sitting on various carpets/rugs or different wood floors or stage floors will affect the amp's tones - possibly/probably in a negative way. By removing that particular factor/problem in the tonal equation, your amp will perform closer to its original potential.

They work very well, IMO, and are well worth the small investment.

7. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I have 2, they do what they say they do, def. worth it IMO.

9. dsqu4r3d

dsqu4r3d Member

awesome, thanks for the replys guys

10. stephen thomas

stephen thomas Member

would the standard gramma be big enough for a 2x12 cab? it's dimensions are smaller so the cab would slightly overlap?

11. Standard 64

Standard 64 Member

Good question.If not they sell a larger one.

12. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I have 4. Wouldn't be without them. Started with one small one, now all four are the bigger ones.

:)

13. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I've always wondered... if your amp or cab is on casters... is the GRAMMA at all beneficial? I find rubber casters help to isolate / decouple the amp from the floor quite nicely, not to mention they're also useful beyond that application ;)

14. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

If what the GRAMMA does is decouple the amp from the floor, that any different than using an amp stand? When you bring up the subject of amp stands, a lot of guys say you should get that amp down on the floor for the best sound!

Confusing!

15. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I think the Gramma just prevents the sound from getting too boomy and muddy when the amp is on the floor. I'd like to try it with vocal monitors! Kind of like having your cake and eating it too.

16. calenk

calenk Member

ahh its nice to see basic physics add to your tone....ya these things are the bees knees not only do they make your amp more efficient by not coupling with the floor they make the lowend way tighter and punchier cause all the energy isnt getting absorbed by the floor ya these are definetly step one to better tone, but trust me it doesnt end here. you wouldnt beleive how much the room your in effects the sound of your amp esspecially how it muddies up the lowend. i was jamming with my gear at a friends loghouse a few months back and couldnt beleive how my amp came to life....in part because it was a way bigger room than im usally in. and a loghouse has pretty ideal diffusion and absorbtion factors allready. but anyway ya get the gramma and be amazed.....be ready to turn the bass knob on your amp down from what your used to as well....then once your done that acoustically treat your jam space with basstraps and your laughing :)

17. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I find the Gramma to be great at tightening up the bass. But I have a situation where the speaker cab is making things rattle & buzz but a Gramma won't fit. So I've gotten some Fat Dots from Herbie's Audio Lab and will report back once I try them. An advantage to the dots is they're smaller, more portable, and less visible.

Ok, I put the speaker cab on the Big Fat Dots. Note: They have to be under a nice, flat space so I had to take the footers off the cab. Since it rarely leaves the house, it's not an issue. The Dots tightened the sound like the Gramma - but the sound was clearer and the low notes had a piano-like attack. In comparison, the Gramma sounded slightly hollow, harsh, and less full. This is clean at modest volume. Both helped with the rattle & buzz in the room but didn't eliminate it completely. The Dots would be easier to haul to a gig but I think they'd be left behind more easily than the Gramma.

I also put components like a stereo amp and a CD player on Herbie's Tender Feet. I didn't particularly notice better bass or treble but noticed small details that I'd never heard before.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  18. deathbyska76

deathbyska76 Member

Unless im on a hollow floor, or something that rumbles a TON from amp noise, I personally feel as though the low frequency response (be it bass or guitar) is much more full if you're not using casters/GRAMMA. But this is only in certain situations, such as a concrete floor or something just as solid. for instance, if youve got a solid floor like that, take your little bass combo, play it on the floor, and then play it on a chair, see how the sound changes?

the GRAMMA is different though.... i mean it DOES decouple it, but it doesnt ruin your bass response. I like. :D

19. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

I love the Gramma and use it almost everywhere. In addition to the audio benefits, it provides my tube amps with some vibration isolation from stage and dance floor bounce. I permanently mounted a mic gooseneck and clip to the Gramma, eliminating the need to carry an extra mic stand to the gig.

20. vicenzajay

vicenzajay Member

Big Gramma fan here - I have three....