Auralex SheetBlok

goldtop4g63

Has anyone used this I'm wondering how good it blocks sounds. It says that it isn't really a finish product and should be in a multilayer construction. But I'm wondering if anyone has just put it on top of sheet rock and if it worked reducing or eliminating sound.

goldtop4g63

Thanks Scott, It looks like he isn't a fan of the vinyl and likes just adding more drywall. Lots of good reading.

crossbones

Hi,

Having installed lots of studios, I can pretty much confirm that the sheet material is a waste of money.
The only way to stop sound, especially in the lower frequency ranges, is with mass. There are no magic materials.
The membrane manufacturers always stress that you have to sandwich the materials between two layers of mass. (Drywall, plywood, etc.)
Interestingly enough, any db reduction that you get is from the extra layer of mass, not the membrane.

The last room we did had about a foot of airspace, rockwool and 4 layers of 5/8" drywall.
Concrete block would have been a lot more cost effective.

Endr_rpm

The last room we did had about a foot of airspace, rockwool and 4 layers of 5/8" drywall.
Concrete block would have been a lot more cost effective.
We should be moving into a house this spring, and I will want to refit part of the unfinished basement as a rehearsal/demo recording area. I am concerned over how much space drywall/insulation sound treatments take up. Is a cinder block wall really that much more effective for the same amount of floor space? I know i'd likely still have to put framed drywall with an air gap on the inside, but I'm primarily a bass player, and I like to wind my amps up a good bit :)

goldtop4g63

My main concern is that i live in a duplex style place in the city. My neighbor is really cool and barely hears me if at all, its nothing that bothers him. I don't want to push it though he has been a model neighbor, a really nice guy and thats very rare around these parts. Ive lived next to some winners before when i was renting. So, i want to see what i can do that doesn't require me to tear down walls. So far the sheetblok is out and more layers of sheet rock are in. How about using mineral fiber. It would add more mass i can put it in some areas but not all but, i can get it in the areas that my room meets his. I really don't have the option of doing something like an air gap and making my room smaller its already not big enough! They usually never are. Thanks for all the good info!

crossbones

It sounds like a PITA, but one of the best, cheapest things you can do is have someone install 4" concrete block on the offending walls.
It's better to leave an air gap, but 4" block will really go a long way in stopping low frequencies.
Of course, you will still have to multi layer the ceiling and possibly even use resilient channel between them.
It is very difficult to sound proof a residential house.
Even after all of the drywall layers, people are usually pretty disgusted that the low frequencies are still plowing right through them.
Think of the sound as water........
If you filled your new room with water, where would it leak and spill out?
The corners? The outlets? the vents? The floor and ceiling joints? THE DOORS AND WINDOWS?
Those are the spots you have to worry about.
There is good reason why in a commercial space, the sound proofing can be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.