Austin guitar house

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wishkahdaddy, Feb 8, 2012.

1. wishkahdaddy

wishkahdaddy Member

My wife is on a business trip in Austin, TX so I asked her to check out "Austin Guitar House" to see what they had in there for amps and such. She finally had a chance to go today and gave the report back on how great the place was. She was floored on the high end gear that they had there and the great customer service. I'm more of an amp collector and she knows that. With that said, she told me I have to get over there to see some of the high end boutique guitars that were in the place.

Anyhow, I've drug my wife into a music store(s) on about every trip we've ever been on. She told me this was above and beyond the nicest music store she's ever seen. Can't wait to check it out when I head to Austin! Looks like she bought me a strap for my Cardinal Magpie. The guitar was made in Austin so a strap from there only seemed fitting. My wife kicks arse!

2. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Very cool place. I was there a few months ago and really dug the Boutique guitars that OZ the owner had on hand. He's a really laid back cool guy and knows his gear.. I'm hoping to get back to Austin this month and give A.G.H. a visit.

Oz Hofstatter likes this.
  3. Oz Hofstatter

Oz Hofstatter Gold Supporting Member

Randy,
    It was really nice to have her coming to the shop. I'm glad she liked it - looks like she knows a lot to benchmark and has a good taste for guitar shops....... ;)
    I hope you have the chance to come check soon.
    Thanks,
    Oz

4. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

I have been all over the US and in more guitar stores than I will ever remember....I can honestly say that no one has been as genuine, hospitable and kind as Oz. plus he has kickass gear. I will buy a Tuttle from him at some point...

5. Oz Hofstatter

:beer

6. Oz Hofstatter

Thanks Wyatt!
    Keep rockin', :rockin
    Oz

7. wishkahdaddy

wishkahdaddy Member

My wife just sent me the pics of the shop. Gotta love the details that Oz put into the place-all the way down to the "guitar body" toilet seat even... LOL
    Nice touch Oz!

8. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Oz is the real deal

9. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Supporting Member

I'm taking a trip to Austin next month - looks like I'll have an addition to my itenerary!

10. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

I live in Austin. I have been there twice. Oz is a very nice guy. I walked in just to look, and he handed me a Tuttle Strat and plugged me into a Grammatico amp. I was shocked that I was treated this way. Glorious. Just Glorious. There is another store in Austin that is not so cool about just handing you a 3K guitar.

I was with my wife, and she really loved the shop. They have a nice lounge area where you can relax, and just hang out. Very, very cool shop. They also have pieces that are not available in town, which is a nice change.

BTW, someone better buy that Tobacco Sunburst Tuttle Strat Oz has. That is one of the best strats I have ever played.

11. garyrogue

garyrogue Gold Supporting Member

Crazy, my wife just got back from Austin last night, plus time in San Antonio. She was also there 3/4 year ago visiting a brother. I knew Oz had shop there and I did not need her to tell me it is really nice, too nice. Big Question, did your wife bring anything back?

12. wishkahdaddy

wishkahdaddy Member

Oh yes! Not a major purchase but she bought me a very nice leather strap to go with my Austin built Cardinal Magpie guitar. That guitar DRIPS with tone (Thank you for the lead Lance Keltner!) She also found a nice strap for her Martin Acoustic. Not sure what else she bought but I'll find out tonight when she gets home. We are planning a trip to Austin soon so the Austin Guitar shop will be visited again! Lots of boutique amps and she said the guitars on the wall were beyond beautiful! Can't wait...

13. Oz Hofstatter

Guys,
    Thanks a lot for kind words!
    I really appreaciated it. It means a ot to me hear things like that.
    All the best,
    Oz

14. pb641

pb641 Member

I am always glad to hear about locally owned shops still being out there. We use to have, as in before ^&%$in' GC shut everybody down, a couple of very good ones, yep even in Amarillo. The best was Randy's Music Mart, cool store, all of the staff were steller musicians, and just nice people.

15. bellyrubs

bellyrubs Member

I live in Austin and didn't even know about this place! Definitely will stop by this weekend!

16. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

You should. It is off of Anderson and Burnet going towards Lamar. It is across the street from that shopping mall with all the furniture stores.

17. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

You mean Guitar Insurrection. RIGHT? I changed the name to protect the ***holes. I'll NEVER step in their store again.They treat you like your not worthy of playing their stuff. OZ is so down to earth and makes you feel welcome.

18. wishkahdaddy

wishkahdaddy Member

My wife and I, along with another couple, stopped by Oz's shop twice last week on our stay in Austin. We also went out to listen to some music one night with Oz and his wife. This was the first time I actually was able to meet Oz and his wife and they are some of the nicest people you will ever meet in your lifetime.

What an AWESOME shop Oz has and what great customer service. This place is like no other and has to be one of the finest small boutique shops in the country. Though we only left with some guitar straps and cables on this trip, there are two different guitars I would like to purchase from Oz in the future.
    Great high end shop and even better customer service. You boys are missing out if you don't stop by Oz's shop when you are in Austin. It truly is a must see type of destination for the musician.

Thanks Oz, hope to see you again soon!
    Randy

19. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

Yeah, you be right. I have had nothing but headaches going there. I don't understand their beef? I have been in there with wads of cash in my pocket, and my own guitar strapped to my back wanting to try out an amp. It was such a hassle to even demo an amp. "Well, are you going to buy it?" was the answer to my question about demoing an amp there. I don't know if I am going to buy it if I don't demo it? Spent my money elsewhere.

20. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

Wow. Glad you had a good time when you were down here!