austin in april where to stay ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by strat1953, Feb 7, 2012.

1. strat1953

strat1953 Member

wife and i want to see austin and check out the music scene.she likes nice hotels.recommendations that are under $200 a nite that are nice and close to the clubs??

2. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

Austin Motel and San Jose are on Congress, very near the Continental Club...

Hilton Downtown is 2 blocks from 6th street. There are a few more near the Convention Center that would be easy access to 6th.

The 'W' hotel is just a few blocks west of Congress downtown, and is close to Antone's and the warehouse district clubs, and right next to the Moody Theater, check acl-live.com for schedule...

If you're in town the weekend of April 15th, there's a BIG hotrod show that will make S. Congress and the Continental Club area insane. The last weekend in March 28-31 is the Texas Relays (track meet) at UT which will make the 6th street area insane.

3. antbosca

antbosca Member

There's a lot of great places near S. Congress Ave. which is a cool 'hood. with great food, shops and the Continental Club. It's also convenient to 6th St.

I stayed at Verde Camp, which has several small furnished homes available. Super nice and way cheap for what you get. The Kimber Modern is beautiful. The Hotel San Jose is also really nice. The St. Cecelia is AMAZING, but expensive. The Austin Motel is great and would definitely be under your budget.

If you have time to play you might want to check out Rock 'n Roll Rentals, they have good gear for rent by the day. Anything you might need. Definitely check out the friendly folks at South Austin Music, which is right next door to a famous club, The Saxon Pub. Also, Austin Vintage Guitar, where the nice folks there sent my buddy's camera back to him after we accidentally left it there. We were in a daze from the hypnotic tremolo on a 1959 Ampeg Rocket!

4. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

+1 Austin Motel is pretty cool, and you are not too far from Downtown either. However, you are in a cool hood in South Congress. Some folks call it SoCo, I call it South Congress.

5. Bankston

Bankston Member

The wife will be happy with you if you shell out the coin for the Driskill.

6. emdub123

emdub123 Supporting Member

I would recommend that you stay downtown, there are quite a few nice hotels in walking distance from 6th street, Red River and the warehouse district. If you're getting a rental car, you can stay just about anywhere.

Austin Motel has been mentioned several times, but it's only within walking distance to the continental club.

Starting a couple of weeks before you go, you'll want to check out the calendar on the Austin Chronicle website to get familiar with which bands are playing where. Most bands have webpages, so it's pretty easy to sort out where to go.

On any given night, a few of the bands on 6th street are going to be touristy stevie ray-esque blues bands, so if that's your thing, you can count on that type of music being available 7 nights a week.