Austin live music suggestions

speedtaco

headed to Austin Memorial Day weekend and wanted suggestions on good places to see live music. Who better to ask than Gear Pagers? I've been once before and visited some of the popular spots, but would like some 'off the beaten path' suggestions. Dive bars are welcome, and probably preferred. I'm guessing they need to be close enough to downton to take a cab. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Banditt

I will leave it others on the hip new venues, as I haven't been on the scene in a while...but I would add some trips to guitar/amp shops in town. Austin has some of the best in the Country....

dukeh62

Silver Supporting Member
Willie Pipkin at Continental Club on Sunday night. Also plays a noon set across the street at Jo's Coffee on Sunday.

Creighton

Continental Club, Stubbs BBQ, Mohawk, C-Boys, ACL Moody Theatre, Sidewinder, Saxon Pub, the list is endless

Iceman63

Man, Austin is a cool city. I lived there for most of 97'. I'm sure it's changed a lot since then. I got turned on to Ian Moore, Valejo, Pushmonkey while I was there. I don't know what those guys are doing now. Lot's of music there. Can't give any current info though. Fun place, enjoy OP!

Nebakanezer

World’s Okayest Guitar Player
Gold Supporting Member
Ginny's Little Longhorn Saloon, if you wanna go honky tonkin' and drink some Lone Star beers on Sunday for some chicken**** bingo during the day! It was fun when I went!
And see if Guero's has anything going on at there outside stage!
I went during SXSW a few years ago and these were 2 of the places we went to that were just doing there normal thing (and kinda away from all the SXSW craziness).

ripgtr

If you want to see an amazing blues player, go check out Alan Haynes. He plays this old beat up strat SRV gave him.
Monster player. My buddy is playing bass with him these days, I think they do Maggie Mays on Sunday.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
If you want to see an amazing blues player, go check out Alan Haynes. He plays this old beat up strat SRV gave him.
Monster player. My buddy is playing bass with him these days, I think they do Maggie Mays on Sunday.

I used to go see him Wednesday nights at Antone's in the 80's.
He was playing an old red Strat back then that had a little bit of wear.
Current pictures look like..the same guitar plus 30 years of wear.

ripgtr

I used to go see him Wednesday nights at Antone's in the 80's.
He was playing an old red Strat back then that had a little bit of wear.
Current pictures look like..the same guitar plus 30 years of wear.

Yea, it's pretty beat. They came in and played this small town I live in, about 1/2 north of Austin, some dive bar. I went down and sat in. I didn't play it plugged in, but noddled on it a bit. I had brought my 60 as well, and as tore up as mine is (decades of hard gigging) his was even more so. The saddles were pretty rusted. Sounded great though, and he really knows how to work it.

Back in 2000, I picked up a gig playing bass for a blues jam with a guitar playing buddy of mine, at the 311 club. We would get some jammers up and they check out who else was playing on 6th. He was often playing next door at Joe's Generic. We often hung around watching him play, while someone was working our stage for us, lol. Man, he was great to listen to.

Jim85IROC

Years ago I saw the Eric Tessmer Band on 6th St. They were amazing. I picked up his CD at the show and I listen to it constantly. He plays hard driving blues rock but with a real Gilmour vibe. Tons of energy too. When I saw them, Tessmer walked behind the bar, poured himself a shot while playing, then after he did the shot, he played slide with the shot glass. The whole time he was doing this, the bassist was playing from outside, standing in the bed of a truck, smoking a butt. I can't recommend this band enough if they're in Austin when you are.

GGinMP

Check out Wrenfro at the one2one bar. They were regulars at Strangebrew but now play often at one2one.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom