Austin Speaker Works Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dspblues, Mar 16, 2008.

1. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

Who's playing them? Thoughts? I've heard them described as darker, warmer, nice break up, and smooth. Anything else?

I know Ryhlick likes them. :)

2. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

I think they are a great speaker, and work well with every amp I have tried them with. It loves the Pure 64's, CT 22, a buddies Fargen el 84 head, Swart, that is all I have tried with it with so far. They have nice bottom end and a round yet very present high end. The mids in this speaker are so sweet and nice, that I find it hard not to use them. I have a/b them against the g12h30, heritage 1265, weber blue dog, reverend altone, ceramic tone tubbies. All speakers seem to have their strong points and weaknesses, but the Austin Speaker 70 hrz. seems to be the best most well rounded speaker I have ever used. The cleans, pushed cleans, and OD are so sweet. To me they seem to incorporate all the best features of the heritage 1265 and the g12h30. They are not cheap, but they are so sweet to listen to. I only have experience with the 70 model. Enjoy!

3. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

I did a Google - can't find Austin Speaker Works. Do you have a web page?
    Thanks.

4. dspblues

5. rhythmrocker

6. dspblues

7. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

Are they alnico or ceramics? Any pics?

8. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I'm supposed to go up to thier shop on Wednesday and try them out. I'll let you know.

9. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I believe that I am allowed to answer the questions asked: Mods, please let me know if I shouldn't.

Right now there are two versions of the Ceramic speakers. There is a 60hz version (more of the darker Hendrix vibe) and the 70hz speaker which is the standard voicing. There are also going to be Alnicos available. I have some in a cab and am very happy with them. The only pics are the ones on my site. The speakers are hand made and of the highest quality, and are british voiced. 80 watts handling each.

10. foomoola

foomoola Member

I needed to chime in here ....I currently have 2 of the 55hz 12" speaker , and I CANT SAY ENOUGH about them !!!! I know what your thinking 55HZ , WAY TO DARK !!! But NOOOOOOOOO , Not these ...they handle the lows and mid/lows in a way that NO OTHER speaker can , and I mean NO other speaker ....As well as a mid to mid high that is crystal clear , and highs that are NOT brittle AT ALL !!! I know 55hz makes MANY people run to the hills , but I can tell you after 20+ years of playing EVERYTHING , that these speakers are AMAZING ....I have 2 more coming soon and will be trying the "OTHER" hz speakers as well ....The build quality is SECOND TO NONE .....And NO I am NOT on the payroll , I pay for EVERYTHING THAT I OWN AND PLAY .......Try these , they are the best kept secret right now ....thanks Lance ...D.P. :BEER

11. bmorelli

bmorelli Member

tell us more about the alnicos! :)

12. wichita

I can tell you all about the Alnicos offline.
    Don't want to spam. Please contact me via pm or email.

13. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I just looked. $229 for a stamp frame ceramic speaker? It seems like a lot... even for speakers made by Texans ...;)

14. rhythmrocker

That's "Texacans."

15. dspblues

I'm no speaker expert, but what does that mean? "stamp frame ceramic speaker" .. are you saying that it's cheaper? Based on the feedback so far it's a winner and the owners love them.

16. gec78221

gec78221 Supporting Member

17. dbeeman

I don't know how they sound. Haven't heard them yet.
    By way of comparison, you can by a hand made ceramic mag speaker with a British cone from Weber for $100. Even Celestion Heritage can be had from Avatar for about $160 last I checked.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with a stamp frame, ceramic magnet speaker - most guitar speakers are just that. I am saying $229 is lot based on what else is available.... I was kind of hoping Lance would chime in and give some explanation. I am sure I am not the only one thinking this. OTOH Two Rock amps are expensive based on parts and manufacturing cost, and I own one of those.

18. pleximarshall1

pleximarshall1 Member

I'm brand new here but wanted to chime in about my experience with
    Austin Speaker Works.

I play mainly vintage Marshall amps and vintage Marshall cabinets.
    I was turned on to the speakers by Lance at G25 and I have to say
    that the 70hz cone 80 watt speakers that I bought for my 69' 4-12 cab
    are the best 12" speakers that I have ever owned.

I am looking forward to hearing their Alnico's when they come available.
    I am glad that I found out about the Gear Page as well! Looks like a cool community and I can't wait to find out more about everyone here.

19. wichita

20. dbeeman

Guys I posted a question/comment because I was curious and hoped Lance would chime in He told me this which I share with permission:

"These guys have formulated a cone that is proprietary to their design.
    Also the voice coil is unique. They have eliminated cone cry in these speakers.
    I am REALLY serious about that. The speakers sound and feel incredible.

They sound like the best vintage celestions, not the reissues only they handle 80 watts and hold together much better."

In any case it will be interesting to hear these speakers and see what other's experience is with them. One could say at 80 watts you only need half as many speakers as usual.